Pardini HP 32, ammo talk

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Gregbenner

Re: Pardini HP 32, ammo talk

Post by Gregbenner »

Thx PC! Added myself to notification waitlist.
pistol champ

Post by pistol champ »

Gregbenner

Post by Gregbenner »

Just tried to order, out of stock. Must’ve gone quick

Thanks
pistol champ

Post by pistol champ »

Has any one used Jagemann brass, Natchez has it listed 100 for $17.99. I've tested 20 different brands of brass in my Pardini but not this one.
Gregbenner

Post by Gregbenner »

I apologize if this has already been addressed. I recently ordered several boxes of Hornady 60gr XTP 32 ACP JHPs for reloading. They are advertised by both Hornady (their website) and Midway as .312 diameter. However, the ones I received are clearly labeled on each box as .311? I called Midway, they didn't have a clue. So I called Hornady and he said they were actually .3112-.3114. I asked why they were specified as .312 on their website and, you guessed it, he had no clue. Has Hornady changed the size recently and just not updated their website, or is this just the new math (i.e.always round up lol)?
fc60

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

In the early days, about 4-5 years ago, the Hornady 60XTP were actually 0.312"

I still have about 20 pieces remaining.

Then, for some odd reason, they started making them 0.311"?

Personally, I think it would be outstanding if Hornady made a special run sized 0.314" just for the Pardini crowd.

Cheers,

Dave
Gregbenner

Post by Gregbenner »

I'm going to load my first batch of Hornady 62gr XTPs using VV310. I have noticed several comments to the effect that faster seems to be better (to a point), but is this for lead, to JHP as well? I was thinking of 1.7 VV310? What have others found to work best at 50 with this combination of powder/bullet? Ultimately I will test various loads, but I want to focus on a couple other things on this trip to the range with the Ransom Rest.
yonak

Post by yonak »

Need some advice . Loading Speer .314 HBWC 98 grains, the grains on the target are Vihta Vuori N310, COL is .894 , Starline Brass . The gun is a 32 auto Pardini. Notice the holes in the cardboard below the top 3 dots. I didn't shoot down there . It has the be flack form the bullet . What is causing this?
Attachments
Target
Target
Gregbenner

Post by Gregbenner »

Yonak, I’m not sure which holes you mean? Theres lots of holes below the three dots?

The Speer Plinkers usually measure less than the advertised .314, I get .312-.313. Although the Speer is a pretty decent bullet, it’s not the optimal size for the pardini barrel, which is more like .314.

What distance are you shooting, and what procedure (I.e. hand held, benched, Ransom Rest, etc.)?

I’ve never noticed flack from the my bullets, when it happens to me, it’s usually the AH next me to at the range playing Terminator with a shotgun at 7 yards.
yonak

Post by yonak »

Shooting 25yards , benched , anything below & in the writing 1.8 2.0 is flack, Some of it never penetrated the cardboard.
Gregbenner

Post by Gregbenner »

Wow, any chance they could be light powder loads? They look the same size as the other holes.

Otherwise, never noticed anything like it.

I just focused that you are perhaps referring to the Pardini 32 S&W long (I think this thread is focused more on the 32 ACP). Have you experienced this with other bullets, or with the Speer bullets on other occasions?
Last edited by Gregbenner on Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jbzeus

Post by jbzeus »

Wondering if anyone can help. Is there a drawing for a custom expander to start the loading process for lead?

I have brass, t&b bullets, powder and primers but need to expand the cases to accept the lead bullet.

I think the expander fits in a Lee die...
Gregbenner

Post by Gregbenner »

jbzeus wrote:Wondering if anyone can help. Is there a drawing for a custom expander to start the loading process for lead?

I have brass, t&b bullets, powder and primers but need to expand the cases to accept the lead bullet.

I think the expander fits in a Lee die...
I use the two stage powder thru die on my Dillon 550, it works perfectly with the T&B .314 bullets in Starline brass. Good explanation on the attached. The final results are near the end of the thread. The guy who makes them, Alex (PhotoEscape) is very knowledgeable.

http://www.bullseyeforum.net/t9784-dill ... -for-32acp
fc60

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

To clarify, you say you are loading Speer 98 HBWC in a 32 ACP case?

If so, you are in uncharted territory.

Telephone PardiniUSA and ask them what they recommend for the 32 ACP.

Cheers,

Dave
Last edited by fc60 on Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shootaholic

Post by shootaholic »

Hi Yonak,
If you are loading a 98grn HBWC in a 32acp case, you will have compressed to powder significantly causing high pressure resulting in the projectile separating. The wild holes down below will be the skirts of the projectile.
You must pull any of these rounds and use the popular 62grn semi wadcutter as listed on many of the previous posts for the Pardini 32acp.

Hopefully you havn't bulged the barrel.

Regards
Shootaholic
sparky

Post by sparky »

shootaholic wrote:Hi Yonak,
If you are loading a 98grn HBWC in a 32acp case, you will have compressed to powder significantly causing high pressure resulting in the projectile separating. The wild holes down below will be the skirts of the projectile.
You must pull any of these rounds and use the popular 62grn semi wadcutter as listed on many of the previous posts for the Pardini 32acp.

Hopefully you havn't bulged the barrel.

Regards
Shootaholic
Wow, good catch! Big difference between.32S&W and .32acp. Surprised he hasn't blown cases and the extractor out.
Last edited by sparky on Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

All brands of 32 ACP brass differ with Remington and Magtech being the best because the necks stay the same thickness around .250 of an inch deep while all the rest that I have measured start to get thicker much sooner.

This is why I designed the 62 grain bullet to have the length of base that it has. I tried an 85 grain bullet before I chose the dimensions for the 62 and the longer base made it very inaccurate. Consequently if the wrong brass is used it will be doing the same thing to the 62 grain bullet. This problem is also prevalent in the 32 long and with 9mm lead bullets.

If you use a fairly soft alloy, (8-9 BHN) the fit of the bullet to barrel size is more forgiving. If the lead is hard, the proper size bullet for an individual barrel is critical but at the same time a soft bullet can be swaged down more easily so they are both a problem. I never did well making my bullets hard to avoid the swaging but I probably never hit the right diameter as I think just a few ten thousandths might matter. Much easier to just get the right expander which should go around .250 deep and be around .314. When you get to a bullet as small as .314, percentage wise a little is a lot.

If you want to be as expedient as possible, get a micrometer that is designed to measure case necks so you know what you are dealing with. Some brass manufacturers may have been pressured into changing their brass in the near past so it is best to check because since the Pardini came out, the demand for brass had to increase 10 fold.

I am pretty sure Buffalo arms has 32 ACP brass but they want a pretty penny for it.
kubikula78

Post by kubikula78 »

Hi all,

I would like to ask somebody to explain me one think, I am lost a bit:-)

I inherited old CZ pistol, 7,65 Browning, which is equivalent to 32 ACP. And my barrel is .309. I want try Hornady XTP but they are only .312.

For sport shooting I have Hammerli SP32, but it is 32SW Long, .313 barrel, using .314 HN bullets. For 32 ACP i have RCBS dies.

I am puzzled that you all here mentions barrel size in 32 ACP with same size as my 32 SW Long barrel is.

Thanks for comments.

Jakub
gwpotte

Post by gwpotte »

Jakub;
My understanding is a 32 ACP barrel is typically .310 to .312 and a 32 S&W Long barrel is typically .313 to .314. The 32 S&W Long was designed for the 25 yard (European market) and most do not perform well at 50 yards (USA outdoor Bullseye). Custom 32 S&W Long barrels with a faster twist rate do perform well at 50 yards. I believe, in response to requests from the USA Bullseye market for a faster twist rate version of their existing 32 S&W Long pistol (.314 barrel), Pardini decided to simply try chambering one of their existing .314 barrels for 32 ACP. The results with Hornady XTP jacketed bullets (.312 diameter) were very good at 50 yards. This approach makes business sense as Pardini can use the same barrel stock for 32 ACP and 32 S&W Long, and just machine the chamber of the barrel for the caliber they want.

Hence, the Pardini 32 ACP pistol has a .314 barrel. It is very accurate at 50 yards with Hornady XTP jacketed bullets (.312 and 62 gr). If you want to use lead bullets in a Pardini 32 ACP, you need a .314 bullet in the 62 gr range to be accurate at 50 yards and not have leading issues.

George
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

Not only do you need a .314 bullet when shooting lead in a Pardini 32 ACP but you also need an expander that is shoved into the case after sizing around ,25 inches deep that is .314 inches in size. It is better to try to keep the BHN of the lead bullets around 8-9. If they are too hard accuracy gets worse and leading is more likely. Most lead bullets are too long at the base and they have to be shoved in deeper than the .25 and consequently get squashed down at the base of the bullet or even bulge the case. I did a lot of testing with a lead 85 grain bullet with a longer base and I got very poor results.

The exact same thing can be said about the 32 long except then the expander has to go as deep as the wadcutter is shoved into the case. Sizes are the same.

For both calibers it is better to have a sizing die that is a couple of thousandths oversize to keep from working your brass so much but it will work either way.