Best Steady Offhand Advice

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

ihasagun

Best Steady Offhand Advice

Post by ihasagun »

What's the best advice you ever got as far as holding a steady sight picture in standing position (AKA offhand)?

So far, the advice that has made the biggest difference for me is to both take the stance and aim with the eyes closed, then open the eyes and adjust the feet for right/left.

I need more good advice!
Rover

Post by Rover »

Well, the most FUN advice I ever got was to have a nip or two to reduce essential tremor (the shakes). This from a M.D. shooter.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

It's not just the left/right adjustment done with the feet, but the vertical also. Feet apart for higher, together for lower. remember very small adjustments, with eyes closed. then reopen eys .

Repeat until you get solid hold with perfect sight picture. If it (sight picture) is even slightly off when you open your eyes, repeat. Sometimes you may move your foot inside your boot. for the very small changes. (All this predicated on shooting during the natural respiratory pause with upper body muscles relaxed, occasionally I find myself closing my glottis instead of relaxing at the natural pause ).
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

Pat - Closing your glottis is probably a much bigger problem than finding the dead-on right stance. By sealing the air in your chest, you can telegraph your heartbeat through your body. I also would not change the spread of my stance since that will affect the whole body's balance. There is a narrow range of stance that will permit the greatest stability. There were some scientific papers published on this and referenced on TT not too long ago. If you can't find them with a Forum search, I'll see if I can dig out the references this evening.

This whole discussion is based on the concept of Natural Point of Aim. For pistol shooters (if that is what we are discussing) I am not sure that there is such a thing. Now, I am not a serious competitive shooter, but there are some people on this forum who are and who do not put much credence in the NPA theory either. Search the forum for discussions on NPA.

I think there is a range of optimal positions. However, the relationship between the gun and the motion of your arm (i.e., hand, wrist, elbow, shoulder) under recoil is going to change as the angle changes so the most important aspect would be consistency. That is, the dead on to the millimeter "right" stance is not as important as finding a comfortable stance and hitting that position consistently. IMHO, of course.

Roger
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

As the OP mentioned the offhand position, I assumed this was about rifle shooting.

I would agree there is no natural point of aim with pistol, more of a natural area of aim. After all rifles shooters are shooting at a point, and pistol shooters an area.

With either a person does have to be aware of the constant changes required due to relaxing of muscles as they warm up, the constriction later in the match as the muscles get tired.
adrianS

Post by adrianS »

What helped me improve alot was to do a combination of timed speed exercises to help with shot process decisiveness, and make sure not to overhold..
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

Pat McCoy wrote:As the OP mentioned the offhand position, I assumed this was about rifle shooting.
Oops. My prejudice showing through. I shoot at a commercial range and I (incorrectly) think of "offhand" as opposed to the two-handed approach nearly everyone else there uses. I haven't done any long-gunnery in a very long time.

When your entire body is a unified shooting platform then I guess a millimeter this way or that does matter.

Roger
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Pat McCoy wrote:As the OP mentioned the offhand position, I assumed this was about rifle shooting...
As did I; but overcame the temptation to move it to the 'rifle' section as much of the ensuing discussion could be applicable to both rifle and pistol.
Bowman26

Post by Bowman26 »

Best advice is to practice of course. But you need to refine your hold and then work on reducing the size of it. Read some books for starters. Search for the "Troy Lawton hold drill" on google it applies to all offhand as it deals with improving hold tightness most of all. I also like Tubbs Rifle book. Not sure about the others dedicated to 10m but they must be good they cost enough lol.

Work on learning to adjust NPA up down left and right for each shot. Develop a consistent routine in the shot process. Only adjust one thing at a time to tinker looking to improve.

Bo