Which sling ?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

DavePat

Which sling ?

Post by DavePat »

Looking to upgrade my sling which will strictly be used for SB prone. Of the choices listed on the Intershoot web page below - which do you guys like ? So far the MEC/Centra and the Gehmann ones look nice but I really have no 1st hand info to go on. Your help would greatly be appreciated.

http://www.intershoot.co.uk/acatalog/Slings.html
tenring

Post by tenring »

Bleiker/truttman quick release.
DavePat

Post by DavePat »

You would have to pick the most expensive one :-) Seriously - why do ya like this one the best ?
Bob3700

Post by Bob3700 »

I have been using the Anschutz sling with the adjustable turn buckle. Really like this sling. It doesn't stretch, and you can make minor adjustments into your string as your body, position settles.

Just a few turns of the round turn buckle and viola, your where you need to be.

Bob
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Kurt Thune would get my vote. Solid strong slings, sturdy construction, and simple to set up and use. Also the holes are finely spaced. The first I bought was a UIT 2 and I have regretted selling it for years.
IRLConor

Post by IRLConor »

I've been using the Kurt Thune ATL sling for about 5 years or so now and I'm very happy with it. It's had a decent amount of use over the years and is still in good condition, so I'm very happy with the quality.

I don't use the adjustment very often but a side effect of the design is that the sling can twist a bit more than a "normal" one while still remaining comfortable.
TraLfaz

Post by TraLfaz »

IRLConor wrote:I've been using the Kurt Thune ATL sling for about 5 years or so now and I'm very happy with it. It's had a decent amount of use over the years and is still in good condition, so I'm very happy with the quality.

I don't use the adjustment very often but a side effect of the design is that the sling can twist a bit more than a "normal" one while still remaining comfortable.

+1
rmarsh

Post by rmarsh »

My daughter uses the MEC sling. She really likes the "single strap" design for the forward part of the sling. There is no double thickness folded over the front sling swivel. This makes the sling more flexible to fit the contour of the hand better, and eliminates the issue of the fold over at the front swivel slowly collapsing and lowering the position.

She also likes the way the sling attaches to the handstop which eliminates the need for a "swivel". The MEC also has the micro adjustment, but she seldom if ever uses it.

I have heard of some saying they have had issues with the sling popping out of the handstop, but we have never had that happen. I've also heard of the micro adjust or buckles breaking. Again we have had no issues. The hardware is very solidly made, I really don't see it breaking. I suspect what could have happened is a lose screw pulling out. The buckles and micro adjust is all put together with small screws. When we first got hers, I took all the screws out and put loctite on them.

If you go with the MEC sling, also spring for the strap to attach to the jacket. Its an extra $50 but is worth it.
tenring

Post by tenring »

Anything from the Swiss is going to be expensive, then your looking at it from a vender from the UK. That brings the highest exhange rate for US buyers. Stinks I know, but sometimes the only place to get certain items. Ryan at Intershoot is good to deal with.

Why the Bleiker/Truttmann... Because it looks very similar to the MEC. I like the MEC very much, but the quality of webbing itself sucks. I've had to remake most of it. I've tried several. Thune's are touch and will last a long time. The Anschutz Swing sling is the best for the money, but has some flaws too. I had to modify it to get the buckle off the back of the biceps. I like the micro adjustment and that it swivels and gets pressure off my wrist. MEC is great! Does what the Swing Sling does but in a more complicated way that cost more. The MEC is more comfortable though.Just plan on replacing some of the strapping within a short time if you get the MEC.

tenring
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Mine is the still probably the cheapest one on the page - the ESE synthetic. Why, because when I was starting out I wanted a cheap option with a view to upgrading later once I knew what I needed. I have never changed it because it works perfectly fine for me and my position and seems comfortable enough. Some of the others may be needed if for example the sling touches the stock/trigger guard, but with my shooting position that's not a problem.

Rob.
Bryan996

Post by Bryan996 »

I ugraded my ESE sling two weeks ago for the Anschutz swing sling with the micro adjuster and I'm very impressed with it for the money. I'm also getting zero pluse through it.

I liked the look of the MEC but couldn't justify the price (around twice as much) plus the sling holder is extra for the MEC.

Once I've settled on handstop and sling lenth position I'm going to modify it to a single strap on the handstop side of the adjuster.

Just my 2p worth!
rmarsh

Post by rmarsh »

tenring wrote:

The MEC is more comfortable though.Just plan on replacing some of the strapping within a short time if you get the MEC.

tenring
I don't know if tenring has an older model than we do. The strap material on the MEC sling my daughter uses is very solid and is holding up well. She has been using one for a little over a year. It gets used at least 5 days a week. A month or so ago I bought a second one just to have as a spare. (never know when something goes wrong at a big match) After a year of use, it is almost impossible to tell the difference between the new one and used one. I don't see any degrading of the strap material.

I'm not being a shill for MEC here. They are expensive compared to many other slings. It's just that our experience has been positive.
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

I really don't think you need anything fancy when it comes to slings. I use the Anschutz "Constant" sling and do not feel like I need to upgrade anything. It is simple in design, sturdy, and fairly inexpensive. You can't get them anymore, but there are other similar models: Kurt Thune UIT 1 and 2, the Brenzovich sling, and the Hata Sling. I have used a Hata sling when I forgot mine at home. I shot just as well with it as I do with my sling. And it is hand made here in the states!
http://www.hataservices.com/precision-- ... lings.html
http://www.brenzovich.com/bftc_slings.htm
http://www.kurtthune.com/applications/C ... 42&gpcid=6

The complex slings seem more likely to break, and some are downright confusing. Focus on the shooting aspect. The more complicated, the more things you have to fiddle with.
Matt
DavePat

Post by DavePat »

Regarding the MEC sling - I noticed while looking thru a lot of different web sights that MEC actually has two different versions of their top of the line sling. One they list with (fiberglass) webbing and the other you can order with the part that connects to the rifle with (leather) webbing.
tenring

Post by tenring »

They must have made some improvements then! A good thing! They do make great stuff, just pricey. If you have used a basic sling and found it works well then great. If your one that does have a lot of pulse seen through a scope then it doesn't hurt to try different stuff. I have friends I shoot with that describe their pulse as hardly noticeable. Myself on the other hand can say it's my biggest challenge. If I didn't have the pulse I'd be a tough contender. I can't say the MEC reduces pulse as described, but I can say it is comfortable. I replaced the strap portion of my MEC with my old basic Anschutz synthetic and I can say its much better! If MEC has a leather option now, I would do it if I needed another one. Just due to the failure of my holes pulling through on the MEC I did as I said and purchased a Anschutz Swing Sling as a backup. It's good too but just not as comfortable how it pulls on the back of my sling arm. I think it's just the angle of how the material is cut to compensate for the angle of the arm. (not quite right). Again, I'm aware of much that most don't feel. I should go into the R&D business cuz I have to fix just about everything I ever get.
Good Luck!
Tenring
Niamac

Post by Niamac »

Perhaps we should ask Martinov where he gets his slings from?
Attachments
martinov.jpg
martinov.jpg (7.95 KiB) Viewed 3497 times
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Niamac wrote:Perhaps we should ask Martinov where he gets his slings from?
That sling works for him, doesn't mean it will work for you. Shooting is about getting the right fit and equipment for you, not copying the best shooters.

Rob.
Niamac

Post by Niamac »

RobStubbs wrote:
That sling works for him, doesn't mean it will work for you. Shooting is about getting the right fit and equipment for you, not copying the best shooters.

Rob.
Oh, do lighten up a bit.

Niall
bpscCheney

Post by bpscCheney »

Also try experimenting with different tightnesses in the cuff. My coach had originally trained me using a very tight cuff and I shot well enough for a while and some of my teammates still do but after I switched to a loose sling my scores have averaged 99-99.5 as opposed to the 97-98. Not saying it will be a guaranteed thing but I've found that a looser sling shoots better for me.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

As Martynov serves in the Belarussian airforce, I'd say that Boris in stores knocks them up from old webbing and a bent coat hanger.

As he's not the only ex-soviet shooter to use one, we shouldn't laugh. I suspect they were a common product, maybe even standard club issue.