Dating an Anschutz barrel & action

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

KIM

Dating an Anschutz barrel & action

Post by KIM »

Hi all,
I have an old Anschutz 1813, how do I find out how when she was made?
I bought it second hand, can I get it from the numbers stamped on the action or not?
Thanks
Kim.
FrankD

Post by FrankD »

Hi Kim,

on the left side of your barrel near the action should be some proof test stamps like shown in the picture below. They are from the German firearms testing organization. The two letters show the year of testing and also the approximate year of building in coded form.

The code for determining the age is as follows:
0=A; 1=B; 2=C; 3=D, 4=E; 5=F; 6=G; 7=H; 8=I/J; 9=K
The year of proof testing is described by the last two digits of a year, i. e. that a firearm with the letters ID was officially proof tested in the year 1983. AE on the picture stands for 2004 and shows the newer 1913. The 1813 was build from ca. 1979 till ca. 1986 or 1987. But the last is only a estimation from me.

Hope that helps. The 1813 was and still is a great rifle. I'm also a proud longtime owner.

Regards

Frank
Attachments
Produktion-seit-1968.jpg
KIM

Post by KIM »

Hi Frank,
Thanks that helps a lot.
You are right they are a good rifle, my old girl holds a nice tight group. I just put a modern stock on her and she fits as well as it shoots.
Thanks,
Kim
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

Frank the 1813 was still in production in 1987, which is when I got my 1984 proofed one. Mine has the Armadillo hook, but lacks the ventilation slots in the forend. These were I think introduced in 1986. If I remember correctly the 19 series rifles were introduced at the same time as the 20 series in either 89/90, which of course was the real big change with the square action. The major change of course was to the muzzle of the barrel, as it did away with the front block and introduced the large swell with integral rails the same as the 660/690 mm barreled 20 series rifles. I think the 1913 also got the new cheek piece adjuster as well.

Alan
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Alan,

I'm afraid your logic is flawed. Buying a rifle in 1987 that was made in 1984 is not proof that the same model was still current at the time of purchase. Your rifle may just have been old stock.

As for when the 1900 was introduced, the earliest example I have seen was proofed in 1987. The only difference between a 1987 1913 and a 1986 1813 is the muzzle/foresight. The vents cut into the forearm were first seen on the special edition Olympic '84 1813. The 1913 kept the same spring loaded cheekpiece as the 1813 (and the 1613 and 1413 before that) until the 1990s. I believe there was a delay between the introduction of the 2013 (with it's fancier ratchet cheekpiece), and the adoption of the 2013 style stock (cheekpiece and up-swept fore-end) for the 1913.

Now back to the 1813. Just to muddy the waters, but rifles made around 1985 may have the proofmarks on the action, and the serial number on the barrel.

Tim
Last edited by Tim S on Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
FrankD

Post by FrankD »

Dear Tim,

as jet i have only seen the from Anschutz given serial numbers on the left front side of the action. The real stamp from the 'Beschussamt', this art of eagle sign with the letter N is normal on the barrel and also on the action, on the bold and on the bold handle. The coded date and the sign from the involved 'Beschussamt', for Anschutz is this normal Ulm and their sign is this art of antler, was on all of the Anschutz 18XX, i have so far seen, on the left side of the barrel. But for some older Match 54 i have also seen it on the action in the near of the serial number, as you mentioned.

Maybe they did (sometimes) a slightly different schema for theirs export weapons. We all know, Anschutz was at this time sometime slightly creative and there was also a slightly evolution of some details of the 18XX model range.

The legendary but not really well known special edition Anschutz 1984 Olympics was unique. The serial numbers were given from 1984001 to 1984999 and as i remember they printed also a special manual extra for that edition and on the barrel there was not the normal 'Super Match 1813' text, but something like 'Olympic 1984' or so.

@Kim

Are you that Kim from Australia?

Was an honour for me that i was able to help you a little.

Regards

Frank
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Hello Frank,

I'm British not Australian, but we have met on the Target Shooting NZ site.

You are quite right, almost all Anschutz M54 rifles have the serial number on the action, and date, Eagle, and Antler, on the barrel (Eagle and Antler only up to 1960/61). Britain has accepted German proof tests for many years, at least while the Match 54 has been in production. The only Anschutz rifles I have seen without the standard German proofmarks have been where the rifle was rebarreled, or rechambered.

I have only seen one rifle with the normal markings reversed. At first I thought it was caused by a simple mistake at the factory, but the Anschutz website refers to other rifles marked in the same way. They explain that the Ulm proof house reversed the markings for a short period in 1985.

Thank you for the serial numbers on the Olympic 84. I knew that these had a special series, but not what the actual numbers were. My University club had an Olympic '84, though I never had the chance to shoot it. I think the vents cut into the fore-end were first seen on this model, and later copied onto the "standard" 1813 production.

Tim
Last edited by Tim S on Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
KIM

Post by KIM »

Hi Frank,

[Are you that Kim from Australia?

Was an honour for me that i was able to help you a little.]

I am from Australia, (I don't know about that Kim)
I started shooting Prone in 2007. So i'm still new to the sport and learning a lot.
My old Anschutz which I bought second hand in 2008, the date on the the barrel reads (IC) so she was made 1983.
Who ever had it before me looked after it well, it's been cleaned that often that there is not much bluing left on the barrel. But she still holds a tight group.

Kim
GaryD

Post by GaryD »

Kim

If you look on the Anschutz site you can find information on it as to when your barrel was made.

There is also an option on there where they will find out the information for you, unfortunately they will charge for this !!!
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

GaryD wrote:Kim

If you look on the Anschutz site you can find information on it as to when your barrel was made.

There is also an option on there where they will find out the information for you, unfortunately they will charge for this !!!
Except that the information is wrong. The change to the letter code opccured in 1977/78 not 1968.
GaryD

Post by GaryD »

Thanks Tim for the info, its a while since I looked on the Anschutz site to date my rifle.