S&W 52 replacement barrels

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

eclam

S&W 52 replacement barrels

Post by eclam »

Who know where to get replacement 52 barrels?
Squib bulged one. Now it ransoms VERY badly at 50 yards.

Smith no longer sells them, so Numeric doesn't have them
any more.
shadow

BBL

Post by shadow »

Bar Sto made them at one time - not sure about now.
Isabel1130

Re: S&W 52 replacement barrels

Post by Isabel1130 »

eclam wrote:Who know where to get replacement 52 barrels?
Squib bulged one. Now it ransoms VERY badly at 50 yards.

Smith no longer sells them, so Numeric doesn't have them
any more.

Try emailing Dave Wilson. He goes by fc60 on this forum. He makes all sorts of center fire barrels that will shoot at 50 yards.
6string

Post by 6string »

Sorry to hear about your mishap!

The barrel you have can most likely be repaired. The barrel itself is cut off and the breechblock is drilled and reamed for a new rifled barrel blank.
I have seen this done with several 1911s that had been converted to 38WC, including Ransom rest groups of just a bit over one inch at 50 yds.

I have also seen this done with caliber conversions, including a very accurate 1911 converted from 9mm to 30 Luger.

Best Regards,
Jim
38HBWC

bulged 52

Post by 38HBWC »

Bummer, I did the same trick. There was one out there but it got sold. I fixed my problem by buying a new M-52 at the local sporting goods store! Now I have lots of spare parts.
38HBWC

M52 bbl

Post by 38HBWC »

They were made in Australia, but I called down there.....none. Numrich Arms is sold out. I have not called Smith and Wesson, but I wonder if they would tool up for just a small run? Does anybody have an inside contact at S&W?
machinist mike

m-52 barrel

Post by machinist mike »

Clark Custom is going to be doing a run of Smith model 52 barrels. They told me they would post on their website when they are done. They are supposed to have a faster twist than the original barrels.
Isabel1130

Re: m-52 barrel

Post by Isabel1130 »

machinist mike wrote:Clark Custom is going to be doing a run of Smith model 52 barrels. They told me they would post on their website when they are done. They are supposed to have a faster twist than the original barrels.

This is interesting. What was the twist rate of the original barrels?

Also can someone like Dave Wilson comment on why a faster twist rate in a 38 would be a good thing, considering that the 9mm cartridge does better at the fifty yard line with a very slow twist rate?

1 in 32 is what I believe the KKM barrel most gunsmiths are using in the 1911 9's and the Berettas accurized for Bullseye and Service pistol.

I am interested in knowing about possible differences in ballistics between the 38 and the 9MM.

Edited*

Ok, I talked to one of my favorite gunsmiths and he explained that the longer bullet of the 38 wadcutter requires a much faster twist rate.

However, he said there was a Gil Hebard article from several years ago, that tested different twist rates on the Model 52 barrel, and found no difference what so ever between them, as far as accuracy was concerned.

He said, the back of the bullet is going to yaw regardless of the twist, because the wadcutter is so long.
Jerry Keefer

Post by Jerry Keefer »

18.75 twist if I recall correctly..
Back in the PPC revolver days, nearly every early gun shot a 1-10 twist and were very accurate with the .148 gr HBWC often grouping under an inch and showing no discernable yaw at the 50 yard line target. The 10 twist declined in popularity, when Shilen only offered 14 twist, proclaiming that was all that was needed. I also got groups under an inch with the 14 twist barrels.. The very best group I ever got, was a special order 12 twist Shilen.. That does not mean 12 twist is the best, but I do proclaim that the slow 18 twist is not going to produce micro groups, and is a reason for the 148 HBWC yaw..

Jerry