How to dismantle magazine for IZH-35m/Walther KSP200?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Burken

How to dismantle magazine for IZH-35m/Walther KSP200?

Post by Burken »

Hi all

As the subject says i wonder how you dismantle the magazines for the IZH-35m/"Walther KSP 200"/"Frankonia Favorit"?

One of my magazine followers feels a bit "sticky" so I would like to open it up and clean it.
At first glance it looks like all that is needed is to punch a pin out and pull the bottom plate out.
But after punching the pin out nothing really budges at all... I tried wiggling the bottom plate, pulling it straight out etc. etc. but it doesn't budge at all (one of my spare magazines atleast has a minute wiggle to the bottom plate when you put force on it).

So is there a special trick you have to do in order to dismantle the magazine?
j-team

Re: How to dismantle magazine for IZH-35m/Walther KSP200?

Post by j-team »

Burken wrote:At first glance it looks like all that is needed is to punch a pin out and pull the bottom plate out.
But after punching the pin out nothing really budges at all... I tried wiggling the bottom plate, pulling it straight out etc. etc. but it doesn't budge at all (one of my spare magazines atleast has a minute wiggle to the bottom plate when you put force on it).

So is there a special trick you have to do in order to dismantle the magazine?
You are on the right track. The problem is the pin hole seems to have been drilled after they assemble the mag. So a burr is pushed in to the plastic base, sort of locking it in place. Unfortunately, you just have to apply more pressure to remove the base once the pin is removed as you have to drag it over the burr.

Probably easier to fiddle around and clean them assembled.
Burken

Post by Burken »

Thanks allot for the info, I will try to put more force on it next week when I have access to it again.
peterleduc

Cleaning

Post by peterleduc »

I've owned 2 IZH35m and both of them needed serious cleaning inside the magazines. Yes there's a burr that needs to be fought to get the bottom off. Once it's off/out you can get all the gunk out and lube them properly. It's worth doing right (cleaning) so be patient and use lots of force.

There's also a lot to be gained by purchasing replacement mag springs from Wolf Springs. More or less, you can buy High Standard springs that are +5% weight/stiffness and cut them down to fit the IZH perfectly. It solves a whole bunch of feeding issues.

Do a search for IZH magazine springs and you'll find all the specific info.

Peter LeDuc (happy to not own an IZH anymore)
Burken

Post by Burken »

Ok, new week and a new try.
No luck :/

We where 4 people in total trying to pull the magazines apart, but they won't even budge. Next step I guess would be clamping them down in a vice and really going berserk on them.
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

I find this thread interesting. I never had any trouble stripping down my IZH35M magazines. They just came apart as I expected once I figured out what to do.
When I first bought the IZH I got a heap of spare parts from the importer, including a third magazine which has never been used. I might pull it apart to see if it is more difficult.
peterleduc

Vise time

Post by peterleduc »

The next step would be to lock the base piece of plastic in a vise (non-serrated jaws) and bending/twisting/pulling the metal off the base. If you can clamp a soft jaw Irwin Quick Clamp on the front and rear of the metal that will help to flex it open over the burrs. I wouldn't worry too much about deforming the lower part of the magazine as the feed lips etc are all in the upper half. Don't intentionally try to bend it but don't worry about clamping it good and hard.

My .02 worth
Peter
Tzed250

Post by Tzed250 »

At $50+ for the near unobtainable magazines I would forget taking them apart. Buy an ultrasonic cleaner. Clean and lube with no disassembly or risk of damage. My $.02.