Closed

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Tanktrek

Closed

Post by Tanktrek »

Matter closed
Last edited by Tanktrek on Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
softreset

Post by softreset »

I'm not familiar with Gun Works.

I ran into a similar problem with my 540XR. The 'loading platform' is the part is three pieces. The plastic platform with a threaded guide slot for the screw and the guide plate. I don't know what the material is for the guide plate, if it's aluminum it's extremely weak. The loading platform, as you discovered is plastic. The screw that comes up from the bottom of the receiver stripped out of the threads on mine when I went to clean it one day.

Oddly enough the guide plate and loading platform still stayed somewhat in the bottom of the receiver but I had a nice little struggle to unload the spent cartridge after each shot.

I ordered a really nice one piece solution (it came with the screw) that fixed all my problems.

I got the part from Bear Creek Guns (http://www.parts4guns.com). It's the loading platform, Part #14040ES

If I recall correctly, Wisener's makes them, he's a reseller.

http://www.wisnersinc.com/rifles/remington/bolt22.html

Oddly enough, they're cheaper now then when I bought mine about a month!

It sits real nice now.

Tanktrek

Post by Tanktrek »

Thank you, that helps with one of the problems
Boyd L.

Re: Help with a Remington 540

Post by Boyd L. »

Tanktrek wrote:..... The pin has come loose, and is now bent slightly, which keeps the bolt from being able to slide all the way forward in to place. The bolt now hits the pin instead of riding over it..... Remington recommended Gun Works of Central NY; they said they thought they could take care of it. Any knowledge of them?

Ron
I'm not familiar with Gun Works, sorry.

The pin you reference sounds like the bolt stop, which is in the trigger housing and controlled by the safety lever on most 540 series rifles. I have owned 580 series rifles in which the alloy trigger housing became worn where the bolt stop rides vertically to function properly. If you haven't already done so, you may want to inspect the trigger housing and the port in bottom of the receiver where the bolt stop enters the receiver for a better view and understanding of that arrangment.
JC Blauvelt (a New York gunsmith) has done work on these triggers for me. He may be an option for help.