An Air Force Gunsmith Painting

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Orion

An Air Force Gunsmith Painting

Post by Orion »

Tuning the BoMar Rib By Dennis Dittrich.

Orion

Post by Orion »

Here is some information from the artist:

Title: Tuning the Bo Mar rib: USAF armorer, National Pistol Championships, 2012
Artist: Dennis Dittrich
Medium: Watercolor on Strathmore Bristol

While working in an armorers’ truck at the National Matches at Camp Perry, Sargent First Class Dave Norwood received a Colt 1911 target pistol with a request to straighten the extended sight rib. When I asked if he had a specific gauge or fixture for that, he responded in the affirmative and whacked the front sight with a plastic mallet. He then checked the alignment and pronounced it fixed.

Norwood is the last formally trained Air Force pistol smith. His craft, which has been perfected over a a working lifetime, is no longer supported as a Military Occupational Specialty.
Slo cat

Post by Slo cat »

Dan Norwood is still the armourer for the All Guard Pistol Team. I spent the last week with this group, and Dan, at the Phoenix Desert Midwinter matches.
MajD

Post by MajD »

A minor point, Sargent First Class is an Army rank. The stripes on the shirt in the background would indicate an Air Force rank of Master Sargent.
Orion

Post by Orion »

Correcto.

I emailed the artist about it.

Thanks!
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

I know Dan, saw him a few weeks ago at Desert Midwinter, and he is a lot better looking than that guy in the painting.:-)
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

Orion wrote: Norwood is the last formally trained Air Force pistol smith. His craft, which has been perfected over a a working lifetime, is no longer supported as a Military Occupational Specialty.
That's pretty interesting. I was one of the guys who helped train Dan. Including some advice on how to use hammers.LOL Glad to see him make immortality from an artist's palette, but yeah, I agree, it sure does'nt look him.