How often do you grease the trigger mechanism ?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Bruno Almeida

How often do you grease the trigger mechanism ?

Post by Bruno Almeida »

Friends,

I have a Fein700 whit is up to 8000 shots, in Rio de Janeiro/Brazil, acquired in May 2012.

How often do you replace the grease of the trigger mechanism ?

Do you base this period in months or number of shots and wheather ?

Thank you, Bruno Almeida.
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

In simple words DO NOT USE ANY GREASE ANYWHERE NEAR THE TRIGGER MECHANISM. Oil in important spots , VERY LITTLE AND NOT OFTEN. "Doc"
Thomas Monto

Trigger

Post by Thomas Monto »

Seems strange then that when my rifle arrived the sear & other sliding wear points had grease. When I get it rebuilt, Pilkguns greased these parts. When I clean the rifle, I just reapply the grease that's present to these areas. Check with Buck at Pilkguns and see what he does.
RTarget

DO NOT GREASE

Post by RTarget »

Hi

Bob is 100% right. When I was last year at European Championships I let to service my old Walther LG300 RT and the first thing that Walther technician saw was the greased trigger mechanism. He said that those mechanisms are basically service free - for the whole usage period of the the rifle you have no need to service it. In the factory they have applied as much grease as the system needs. The only time when you need this is when appropriate service technician dismantles and cleanes the whole system and I mean by dismantling to uninstall it into bolts and pieces. The problem when you start to oli or lubricate the system yourself is that the sediments of lubrication may start to go into the barrel itself and if this happens you will never have accuracy with this rifle as the lubricant particles will stick to the pellet and will infuence its flying trajectory.
Bob-Riegl wrote:In simple words DO NOT USE ANY GREASE ANYWHERE NEAR THE TRIGGER MECHANISM. Oil in important spots , VERY LITTLE AND NOT OFTEN. "Doc"
robf

Post by robf »

Normally degrease the entire action... rebuild without any grease or lube. Hammer running surfaces polished. If anything feels tight or graunchy it gets polished.

Grease collects dust, gets where it shouldn't and changes viscosity. Not such an important consideration for 10m shooting where it's all nice and indoors, but outside in varying temperatures and conditions, lube can affect muzzle velocity to quite some margin.

Running at 800 fps, shot to shot consistency is around 2 fps average, with perhaps a 10 fps spread over a 100 shots and it will do that from 0 to 30 degrees.

I'd leave alone...
jim hinkle

Post by jim hinkle »

The 11th Commandment is " Thy shalt not ever grease thy trigger."