Guidance for a second time around shooter.

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jordankrista

Guidance for a second time around shooter.

Post by jordankrista »

Alright,I have been looking around here for the past fews days. I used to be in Sporter 3P Air Rifle, and then moved to Air Pistol when I got bored with it Rifle. I have been to the Junior Olympics for both rifle and Pistol as a youth(Bowling Green,KY/Anniston,AL/Camp Perry,OH). My last year as a youth I placed 9th at the PPP Junior Olympics for Air Pistol.... Then I started college and ran out of time and money. Well, I am ready to get back into events and with 1 year left in college, I think I should start up now.

My average was 344/400 when I stopped. Personal best was 372/400. And ended up completing Pistol Qualification Program, which was a great feat in itself.

Is there any advice out there? I have sent an email out to my old shooting coach to see if he wanted to get together and figure something out, but we shall see.

I am new to adult leagues, so I don't know much (Im 21).
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

Nothing has changed in the last 3 years, and what you were doing to shoot a 370 will still work to get you to the same score. You'll have LOTS less competition, and most of them will be white a bit older (typically, wives who start shooting because their husbands or children do).

The worst part is training alone, finding matches to shoot in and keeping motivated. If you have a local range with other pistol shooters, that'll help a LOT. So will participating in postal leagues. Past that, it's finding matches and getting to them. It's really nice when you have a range that runs monthly matches, most of the time you're going to have to ask after these though as there's no GOOD resource for local matches.

Welcome back.
jordankrista

Post by jordankrista »

Brian M wrote:Nothing has changed in the last 3 years, and what you were doing to shoot a 370 will still work to get you to the same score. You'll have LOTS less competition, and most of them will be white a bit older (typically, wives who start shooting because their husbands or children do).

The worst part is training alone, finding matches to shoot in and keeping motivated. If you have a local range with other pistol shooters, that'll help a LOT. So will participating in postal leagues. Past that, it's finding matches and getting to them. It's really nice when you have a range that runs monthly matches, most of the time you're going to have to ask after these though as there's no GOOD resource for local matches.

Welcome back.
I am prepared to go outside of local matches, although local matches are still great practice.

Before I had stopped, my parents had been talking to Bob Foth about getting a flight out to CO Springs to get a little tour of things and attend some courses out there. I am unsure if there are still things like that for 21ish year olds?

I am also worried about training alone. Which is why I contacted my old coach to see if he would be interested in doing a little one-on-one shooting.