Shooters To The Line ... Question

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Mass Shooter

Shooters To The Line ... Question

Post by Mass Shooter »

So here's the scenario:

25yd .22LR Timed-Fire question:

The shooters are called to the line ie;

The call sequence begins as normal;

1) Shooters to the line
2) This is the 1st relay of Timed-Fire
3) 5- Shots in 20 seconds w/ 5 rounds Load
4) Ready on the right ... pause 3 seconds
5) Ready on the left ... pause 3 seconds

At this point most everyone raises their pistols, however a shot from a competitor is accidently fired way too early (before "Ready On The Firing Line" command given.

Does the caller continue the calling command sequence "Ready On The Firing Line" ... pause 3 seconds .... sound buzzer?

or should the caller stop the sequence, w/ "Shooters At Ease" command take note of the early shot, then restart the sequence of commands again?

What's the calling protocol for this?

Thanks!
EdStevens

Post by EdStevens »

This really should go in Bullseye pistol rather than Olympic. I'd repost it there, where you're more likely to get an answer.

FWIW (which is nothing), I think you carry on and the target is scored as 9 shots with top scoring shot not counted if there are 10 shots on the paper. The line has already been declared ready, and shooters can raise their arm anytime after ready on the right so it's an early shot, but too late to abort.

1. Is the line ready?
2. The line IS ready.
3. Ready on the right.
4. Ready on the left and so on.
crankythunder

Post by crankythunder »

dear Mass:

this has happened to me quite a few times while I have been calling the bullseye line. In all instances except two times, I proceeded with the commands and the early shooter was penalized one of his highest scoring shots.

The first time I did not follow this sequence, the early shot was really early and I did not want the early shooter (who was relativly new to bullseye) to get flustered and nervous on the line. At that point in time, I commanded the shooters to stand easy, and informed the line that I wanted to confirm the safety of the line. After a quick inspection of the firearm, and a short and courtious discussion with the early shooter, started over with the call. Since the shooter did not put his finger on the trigger until the sights were aligned with the target, IE his bullet hit the target, I allowed him to continue with the match and gave encouragement to him, telling him to relax.

The other time, while I was not calling the match, the offending shooter shot at the very beginning of the command sequence (ready on the right). He shot through the table and the bullet riccocheted off the floor and up to the ceiling. The shooter was instructed to box it up. After the match, he was instructed not to put his finger on the trigger until his muzzle is pointed down range the next time he shoots a match. I later discovered that that was the third table he had killed and that his teammates informed him he was no longer welcome on the team. I have not seen him since.

Regards,
Cranky
Mass Shooter

Post by Mass Shooter »

Hey, thanks for the replys Ed & Cranky.

I was watching a match and a shooter fired extremely early, I mean right after "Ready on the Right" and then "bang", thankfully his pistol was pointing down range.

The caller continued through the sequence and the relay was completed. I got to thinking about when is too early to continue the call sequence and thought to post the question here at TT .... Ed you're correct to having this topic posted in the Bullseye Pistol arena I did not know how to do it other than delete and start over, I chose the later.
When the R/O collected the targets he placed the early shooter's target on top of the stack and made a written note on the taget. ... I'm betting we know the outcome.

Appreciate the info. ... Thanks!
crankythunder

Post by crankythunder »

Your very welcome!

When calling a match, range safety takes priority!

Not sure if its a complement, but my fellow shooters say I call a match lots better then I shoot it!

If you ever find yourself over here in Michigan, shoot me a message. We got a spot on the line for ya!

Regards,
Crankster
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

The correct thing to do is keep your cadence, call the commands while looking to see your block officers. In Bristol, Indiana there was a shot fired early in the commands. A shooter had shot a bullet through his hand. The Safety officer on that block indicated trouble and the range officer called for everyone to unload and make the line safe. That being done, they whisked the shooter off the line to get medical attention. His gun had not gone into battery and he was trying to assist the slide forward. His hand slipped and his finger was in the well. That is learning the hard way.
Chris
Mass Shooter

Post by Mass Shooter »

crankythunder wrote:Your very welcome!

When calling a match, range safety takes priority!

Not sure if its a complement, but my fellow shooters say I call a match lots better then I shoot it!

If you ever find yourself over here in Michigan, shoot me a message. We got a spot on the line for ya!

Regards,
Crankster
Thanks Cranky, ... once in a while I get over to PLymouth for business and to visit a bud in Jackson. .. Appreciate the offer!

And same to you my friend if you're traveling here in New England (MA) and looking for some indoor or outdoor rimfire or centerfire action we got ya covered. ...

Lever, that is one tough lesson for that shooter, hopefully he has recovered. ... Indeed, safety priority #1
waxman

Post by waxman »

Seems to me that such an early premature shot should be investigated immediately, halting the progress of the string.
Only if the Range Officer knows where the shot went, and nobody is injured, should the string continue.
Besides, if a table gets shot, there's some paperwork needed to be completed before that shooter continues.
John
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Once the command has been given to handle your guns, you need to be prepared for possible early shots to be fired....down range in a safe direction.
If you are at Perry, they won't stop the call for an early shot, anymore than they would for a late one. The targets at most bullseye matches turn, and they should be edged for an early shot. Although I do agree that if an early shot occurs when you are not using tuning targets that you should follow the same procedure for both early and late shots, which is to score them as a miss, and assume the best shot(s) were the early or late ones.

Most bullseye shooters I know have put at least one shot through the bench or into the overhead cover. It is extremely easy to do with a malfunctioning gun, or an unfamiliar trigger. Since most match directors have either seen it or done it themselves. they rarely get upset about their precious benches or the ceiling tiles, as long as the shot was "down range"
jackh

Post by jackh »

An early shot is an early shot. Even if it is way early.

However I wonder if an adjacent shooter is set off course by the way early shot as a disturbance, and sets down, can he claim any sort of refire status?

That said, I had a neighbor shooter blow up his gun (.38 1911) during a slowfire. I was greatly hit by the concussion of the blast. Enough that i had to stop and regroup. I did inquire to the condition of the hurt shooter who was writhing in pain. I did continue. But if i did not, would I be eligible for a refire. Perhaps I could have comforted the injured shooter.
waxman

Post by waxman »

Been to Perry for the last two years, and true, they don't seem to stop the command sequence for anything.
If a shooter near me fires very early, I'm going to stop and check if all is OK with them before getting back in my groove.
Not to hijack the OP's thread, but would your responses be different at an indoor match?
GOVTMODEL

Early Shots

Post by GOVTMODEL »

The protocol at Camp Perry is that "The Line is Ready" is not a command, it is a statement, and the rest of the sequence proceeds.

The Rules cover what to do, 14.5 Early or Late Shots - When a shot is fired early or late, that is, before or after the signal to commence or cease fire, when the required number of hits are visible on the face of the target, the value of the highest hit will be scored a miss. When fewer than the required number of hits are visible on the target, the competitor will be scored a miss for each shot not on the target, and those visible on the target will be scored in the normal manner.

14.6 All Shots Count - All shots fired by the competitor after position has been taken at the firing point will be counted, even if the pistol is accidentally discharged.
Mass Shooter

Post by Mass Shooter »

Some pretty good statements and discussion here, I appreciate the continuation. ...