Slings : The best choice between Leather and Syntetic.

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

babillita

Slings : The best choice between Leather and Syntetic.

Post by babillita »

I want to change my old leather sling... I dont know if its better the leather sling or the syntetic sling... Any tips, experience or recomendation are welcome...thx
Martin Catley

Post by Martin Catley »

It is generally said that Leather will stretch more than synthetic.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Martin Catley wrote:It is generally said that Leather will stretch more than synthetic.
Agreed, which is why most shooters use synthetic, or a combination of synthetic plus metal wire.

Rob.
EJ

Post by EJ »

My first sling broke due to stretching (leather), the second sling (synthetic - Thune UIT 2) didn't change shape at all.
BAtarget

Post by BAtarget »

note that because leather stretches, even over the course of 20 minutes, you will probably have to adjust the straps to keep your position consistant. I prefer synthetic. I have a champions chioce sling that has fabric woven within a synthetic shell. great sling
Last edited by BAtarget on Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
randy1952

Re: Slings : The best choice between Leather and Syntetic.

Post by randy1952 »

babillita wrote:I want to change my old leather sling... I dont know if its better the leather sling or the syntetic sling... Any tips, experience or recomendation are welcome...thx
Given that their is very little price difference between some synthetic and upper end leather slings you just as well go for the synthetic and gain the advantages of a synthetic.
Eric U

Post by Eric U »

Funny, my leather sling hasn't perceptably stretched in the 17 years I've been using it. Guess I'd better get a synthetic one just in case.

Eric U
dlinden

Post by dlinden »

Eric -

You're sling is so old it probably stopped stretching 16 years ago. In that time, the leather probably converted to synthetic material without your awareness.

Good luck in London. I have a few bucks riding on you.

Dennis L
dontshootcritters

Post by dontshootcritters »

I recently purchased one of the "flash harry MEC Slings" for a dam silly amount of money and I have to say it would have to be one of the most over rated shooting items I have purchased.Ive owned it about 3 months and already the buckle holes are starting to become oval..The quality of machining is superb and generally a good idea.The synthetic KT sling that I was using before that will be making another appearance!
Martin Catley

Post by Martin Catley »

To me also the MEC was a great disapointment, I like the system but not the material. After haveing it pull through the holes the dealer replaced the strap for no charge and then the Cuff as its holes also pulled through. The new sling seems to be a lot stronger than the original but does show signs of pulling through the holes now. I am told there is a leather strap available which sort of negates the synthetic idea!
A great sling well made but the material let it down, I have a Club mate whose new one is doing the same now.
GaryD

Post by GaryD »

Eric U wrote:Funny, my leather sling hasn't perceptably stretched in the 17 years I've been using it. Guess I'd better get a synthetic one just in case.

Eric U
I used a leather sling made by a friend of mine for years with no problems, but when I started back shooting after a 20 year lay off I bought a KT all singing all dancing synthetic one as everybody else was using one.
Was it better than the leather one NO, is it more comfortable than the leather one NO.
Since I bought the KT sling I have been trying to modify, it if I cant then I am looking to make myself or buy another leather sling
Albert T

Leather better???

Post by Albert T »

I am not a top shooter but was a memeber of the Dutch National smallbore team 13 years ago. I train/coach a group of shooters from my club including a junior who is now selected for the Dutch national junior team (TalentTeam).
For some 20 years now I (and others at my club) use the same model sling Sergey Martinov uses, the difference beeing his is made of sturdy canvas (?) and mine is made of leather. This sling is made/sold by a Dutch trainer called Robert Meijer and many Dutch shooters use it. Although a lether sling will stretch at first, we have the experienced that leather slings are mucht more supple/flexible, form better to the shape of the arm then many synthetic slings that tend to stick to the sleeve of the jacket and then suddenly slip when tension builds. Several of our shooters have returned to using leather slings instead of synthetic. We have had several instances where synthetic slings broke or parts loosened/fell apart during matches.
It is easy to reduce stretch of a new leather sling: have the sling hang down with a brick attached to the end for several days! Also, by moistering the leather you can form it to your likings to give a perfect fit. After drying apply a thin coat of leather polish and the sling works fine.
I am not saying leather is better but both leather and synthetic have their advantage and disadvantage. It all comes down to personal preferences.

Albert T (The Netherlands)
Martin Catley

Post by Martin Catley »

Hi Albert is it possible to post a picture of the Sling you are using, the design/concept sounds interesting?
GaryD

Post by GaryD »

Martin Catley wrote:Hi Albert is it possible to post a picture of the Sling you are using, the design/concept sounds interesting?
I second that
Albert T

Post by Albert T »

I will try to make some photographs of the sling. Not sure if it is still available though...

Albert T
dontshootcritters

Post by dontshootcritters »

Hi guys just got back from the range in a fowl mood as new MEC sling[The flash adjustable model]has just torn completely through the rivot holes.I very nearly smacked the front of the barrell on the concrete!
Be warned!
Albert T

Promised pictures of my sling...

Post by Albert T »

...so here they are.
The sling consists of a smaller loop around the arm. It is attached to the jacket bij a short leather strip with holes for the buckle on the shoulder of the shooting jacket. This way the sling can nor rotate around the arm as much; it is always pulled back in place when force is applied. The position on the small armloop is adjustable by means of a small bolt and holes in the armloop.
The second, longer loop is attached to the handstop ans is adjustable in length the normal way.
Both loops are attached to eacother by means of a D-shaped eye. This gives the sling 1 big advantage: the eye can slide sideways for 1centimeter left and right so it always adjusts itself to pull from the center of the arm, even when the armloop is a bit off-centre. The eye can freely rotate on the vertical axis. When you are a shooter who takes the rifle from the shoulder between shots to load, the eye turns without rotating the smaller arm-loop around the upper arm. That is a great advantage!
I also attached a picture of a freezing Martinov. If you look closely you can see the small armloop and the D-shaped eye attached to it and the loop that attaches to the rifle. His sling is made of canvas (I think). Mine is made of leather but they function the same. My sling was designed and sold by a Dutch traner called Robert Meijer. He is now in his late 70's. I dont think he sells the sling anymore.

Albert T (The Netherlands)
Attachments
Kopie van IMG_2386.JPG
002_FR60PR.jpg
Albert T

2 detailed pictures

Post by Albert T »

here are 2 detailed pictures of the sling

Albert T
Attachments
Kopie van IMG_2387.JPG
Kopie van IMG_2388.JPG
GaryD

Post by GaryD »

Thanks for the pictures Albert
Martin Catley

Post by Martin Catley »

Many thanks Albert I have been curious on the construction of it for a while now. A very solid construction I dont think that leather would stretch much.