practice

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Russ wrote:It is International forum, at first where some nations rewarding and respect highly own Olympic and World Champions like India, China, Russia. For last seven years not too much was leaking on TT as a clue for successful achievement on this field, besides of your Gerard impact of course. :)
I'm genuinely mystified by this comment Russ, except of course that last bit of sarcasm. I make no claims of being an expert trainer on TT, like you do. I am here as a student, and welcome all the help which is offered, good and bad, and do my own filtering to keep the good parts, thanks. But please explain/clarify this stuff about international olympic and world champions, and how for 7 years not too much was leaking... More of your usual smoke and mirrors?
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

Cool!
Last edited by Greg Derr on Fri May 04, 2012 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Russ

Post by Russ »

I agree, let’s go shopping. :)
It is safer route.
"But please explain/clarify this stuff about international olympic and world champions, and how for 7 years not too much was leaking..."
First, you can not connect dots (Bits of valuable information) here, because you do not know what you are looking for.

Second, you are so happy to "share something" that you obviously will miss a lot.

Third, each time when someone like Patrick Haynes, Ed Hall, and a few others posted, and we have input after that of local experts as you, Gerard with wordy expressions, all value of initial posts “goes to the toilet” as someone said earlier.
It is important to separate those messages. Our memory after day or two will not recognize the actual source of information and your input will be treated as valuable as someone who really knows what they are talking about.
Last edited by Russ on Tue May 01, 2012 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

wow
Last edited by Greg Derr on Fri May 04, 2012 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Russ wrote:I agree, let’s go shopping. :)
It is safer route.
"But please explain/clarify this stuff about international olympic and world champions, and how for 7 years not too much was leaking..."
First, you can not connect dots (Bits of valuable information) here, because you do not know what you are looking for.

Second, you are so happy to share something that you obviously will miss a lot.

Third, each time when someone like Greg Deer, Patrick Haynes, Ed Hall, a few others posted and we have input of local experts as you, Gerard with wordy expressions, all value of initial posts “goes to the toilet” as someone said earlier.
It is important to separate those messages. Our memory after day or two will not recognize the actual source of information and your input will be treated as valuable as someone who really knows what they are talking about.
"Let's go shopping" is doubtless one of those valuable and informative bits of information, which I would of course be able to understand in this context, if only I knew what I was looking for... right. More words of wisdom from the great Russian solo act, the source of all that is wonderful about Russian shooters (except those who compete on the World Cup circuit and at the Olympics of course, with whom he has no relationship).
Russ

Post by Russ »

Well, I hope you are not only one who can read it. ;)
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Russ wrote:Well, I hope you are not only one who can read it. ;)
Were you bullied at school Russ? Or were you the bully? Bet you're great fun in relationships either way.
Russ

Post by Russ »

So far I see you are acting in not an appropriate way.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Russ wrote:So far I see you are acting in not an appropriate way.
I am not acting in an appropriate way. Wow.

Okay, here I go on topic, where we should be. As I've recovered fully today from Sunday's admittedly silly amount of shooting (well over 400 pellets shot from 5 different pistols at ranges from 15 feet to 30+ metres, at all sorts of angles on a hillside) I incorporated this morning some of Greg's advice, blending it with other lessons passed along by other giants. (You do know that all our accomplishments are made on the shoulders of giants, right Russ? No one does anything completely original.) I decided to grab a small pile of pellets, not count them, and to shoot one target until they were gone, then stop shooting for the day. This simplified my process, took away any thought of scoring or improving on the next target, kept my focus on the group.

The first 3 shots went a bit wild, as usual for me. In fact most days it takes me between 30 and 40 pellets to warm up. But I didn't worry about that, just focused on tightening up the group, getting the shots off quickly and simply, emptying my mind as much as possible of extraneous distractions. Well... the radio was on the CBC's 'Ce La Vie' show, as I was listening intently to a discussion of our federal governments recent closing of the very valuable Katimavik program. I've known several former Katimavik volunteers as friends, and feel a great anger and grief for this stupid decision, so was interested in hearing from various former members about their experiences in building communities in Canada. But this was not related to shooting and I am able to listen to a conversation while doing a manual task, something I often do while working in my shop.

Keeping each shot within 4 seconds from levelling the pistol, putting it down if exceeding that approximate time, I aborted about 5 or 6 shots I think, didn't really keep track. Though I focus on the paper when shooting these days, I did my best to ignore the pattern building there, just kept thinking about and looking directly at the centre of the 10, finding it by an overall visual approximation based on proportions of black circle and paper edges. I felt consistently good during this session. Did not become stressed, just enjoyed the process of raising my arm smoothly, settling into the hold, squeezing the trigger and watching the target and pistol after the shot for at least 1/3 of a second after each shot.

The result:

Them I cleared my pellet trap trough, and then plucked out the pellets and counted them, out of curiousity. It felt like maybe 40 shots. Turned out to be 38. Here they are next to the target:

By this point I don't much care what you think of this Russ, it's more along the lines of showing in a thread on 'practice' how my own is really coming along, how my everyday groups are going as I train towards my next match, where I plan to advance from 'expert' to 'master' category. It's showing off a bit of course, but hey, I seem to recall a post a few days ago where Russ did that too, showing a half-dozen excellent 5-shot target results. I was impressed. And I noticed in that posting that his tone was decidedly less abrasive than usual, perhaps the innocence of showing off a little changing his manners.
Russ

Post by Russ »

Well, surprise me with your actual completive score records.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Russ wrote:Well, surpise me with your competive score records.
I've only shot two competitions so far, but have scored at least 1% above my practice average at both, shooting along side the likes of Olympian Dorothy Ludwig, and Allan Harding who's about to shoot in Milan and Munich at World Cup matches. These folks, like Greg Derr, John Robinson, V76 here in the forum, and many others, are more than happy to share their experience and resources, and for this I am deeply grateful as I would be on a much slower path without them. Russ, on the other hand... well, whatever.
Russ

Post by Russ »

John Robinson, by the way took my class and progress from level of 540 to 572 in two in a half month.
Would you like to see the picture of the day of his initial training?

http://midwestacademyconsulting.wordpre ... following/
Last edited by Russ on Tue May 01, 2012 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Russ wrote:John Robinson, by the way took my class and progress from level of 540 to 572 in two in a half month.
Would you like to see the picture of the day of his initial training?
I am well aware of the fact that John attended a weekend with you, since sometime last summer. I am not going to get into that, as his communications with me are private. Just saying that his emails have been very useful in my development, especially what he's told me about the teachings of his ongoing coach Sil Lyra.
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

Gerard- very well done. OK what has changed in your training? How was your shot plan and mental process compared to let's say a month ago. You seem to be getting a good handle on setting aside any mental angst.

One thing I would like to know, what hold area are you using( not that it matters) and what is your eye focusing on. The front sight or the target area? I'm just a little unclear on that.

Keep up the good work!
Russ

Post by Russ »

So, I do not need to explain any longer that my two days (8 hours) is working model , since you are using my system for free.
Last edited by Russ on Tue May 01, 2012 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

If you read between the lines, Russ, you might be able to see that said something different from that... but you are free to interpret as you like. If John had told me what you told him, would I not have been shooting like this last summer, when he told me the only things he has ever told me about his weekend in your seminar? Which was not very much, by the way, more a short review, no details. But believe whatever gets you through the day, Russ.
Russ

Post by Russ »

Can we come up to the peaceful agreement that my two days (8 hours) class is working model for motivated athelets , or not?
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

I can agree that if your two day, 8 hour course works, then it works. I'll not be tricked into agreeing on something when you have offered zero information as to what it is I'm agreeing on. Secret formulas to success bore me, they aren't real.

As I've said here before, too many have said Stradivari had a 'secret' and that they've discovered it, replicating his successes and even improving upon them. So far I haven't seen a violin better than Stradivari's best work. I've seen a lot of very well made violins, heard them playing very beautifully, and I've even owned, then sold (I don't play violin, I'm a 'cellist), two violins which I class as being almost equal to his best work. In both cases these were innovative, original instruments, which showed long and careful study of Stradivari's violins at every turn, but other influences besides and a goodly portion of these makers' own inventiveness. I could see the countless hours of practice and study which went into them, but also the passion, a key in accelerated, exceptional development in any field.
Russ

Post by Russ »

It is not a secret formula. It is six funadamentals of pistol shooting , 8 hours of my time and three month of support over e-mail, simple as that.
Take one element of this formula and it will be no success.
(I’m talking about three month and 540 initial score level.)
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

What is the definition of a fundamental?