Recreational Olympic Pistol vs. Competitive Olympic Pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Russ

Recreational Olympic Pistol vs. Competitive Olympic Pistol

Post by Russ »

Olympic pistol will be the same. It is all about the mindset. First, someone must decide what the idea is about investing in this sport. Is it for entertainment only or for competitive development? Since there are not too many health benefits in these activities, I think the most valuable part is the idea of self development will be the most appropriate definition of complete development.

How to start in Olympic Pistol?

In both cases, I strongly suggest to take a few classes. NRA Basic Pistol will cost you about $150. It provides good information. After that, you can search local clubs with similar styles of activities, and ask suggestions from members toward continuing education. If you decided to compete locally, a few books and access to the internet public forum will satisfy your needs, like TargetTalk.org. By the way, if YOU will decide that you will travel and compete at the State, Region, National and International level, I will strongly recommend you to seek coaching help, budget for education and look for assistance from knowledgeable sources (mentorship). From my experience, the most successful Olympic style target shooting athletes have not just one, but two or more coaches (personal coach and National Team coach).
Do not set yourself short in supplies of valuable knowledge and information. Otherwise, you will pay a high price for disappointment of unsuccessful performance and embarrassing low score performance.

Get prepared with education, mentoring support as well as your technical part (Olympic Pistol) and physical development. It takes Strategy to set yourself a part in score performance (Not tips)!
“You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of shore.” Admiral Rickover

See you at the shooting range.
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

I hear great things about coach Sal Lyra,I hope I spelled that right. He has coached most of the new up coming Olympic prospects. He has an ad in USA Shooting. I think he is based in Utah.
Russ

Post by Russ »

At the 2012 Canadian Air Gun Grand Prix in Toronto, I met one athlete who also is a student of Mr. Sal Lyra; and at this time I am in the process to sign one of his previous students to my class. Also, I had students who attended Brian Zins' clinic, who personally attended Lanny Bassham's clinic and they also benefited from my class as well. What I'm trying to imply is at the moment, when athletes start the thinking process of investing in knowledge, not only in things, their performance will take a higher level of confidence and knowledgeable decisions. I'm not trying to impress that my class is better than anyone else's; my class is different. Please do not make assumptions of my background and long interaction with Russian, Belarussian, and Ukrainian Olympic style competitive experience. My current level of expertise is based on mixed media where 17 years of managing over 100 people is the most beneficial experience and influence of my current knowledge and abilities to analyze someone’s performance in very short period of time and come up with effective solution.
ModestoPete

Coaching

Post by ModestoPete »

I agree that you need instruction at every level of a sport whether it is golf, tennis, shooting or anything else. The sooner you get good instruction the fewer bad habits you will have to break later on.

I have just signed up with Silvino (Sil) Lyra. I have not had any instruction yet so I cannot say anything about his methods.

I am fortunate being in Northern California where there are at least 2 or 3 Air Pistol and Free Pistol matches every month. A number of good shooters are very willing to answer questions and help other shooters. I just shot on Sunday and the winner of the FP shot a 541, outdoor in cold, windy conditions. Another shooter won the AP match with a 573. Good shooters.

These people will hang around after the match and answer questions about trigger pull, sighting or anything else you ask. They will show you their equipment and explain why they have what they have and how they use it.

Great group of people to shoot with.
Russ

Two days 101 training difference in competitive score

Post by Russ »

Two days 101 training (8 hours): difference in competitive score performance (14-25 points)

CANADIAN AIRGUN GRAND PRIX - GRAND PRIX DE TIR A AIR CANADIEN
2012 TORONTO, ONTARIO 2012
24-26 February 2012 Doubletree International Plaza Hotel
655 Dixon Road
Toronto ON M9W 1J3
Canada

86 86 90 89 88 91 530X 4
91 87 87 83 81 90 519X 4 1049X

One month after :1 - 8 April 2012
The 2012 ISSF / PA National Championships will be hosted by NSWAPA and conducted at the Cessnock Pistol Club, 31 March - 8 April

10m Mens Air
Cessnock Pistol Club.
2012 ISSF & PA NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS
1 - 8 April 2012
Final Results - 08-Apr

93 87 86 89 95 94 544 -11x
http://midwestacademyconsulting.wordpre ... rts-today/
brakarzac

Re: Two days 101 training difference in competitive score

Post by brakarzac »

Russ wrote:Two days 101 training (8 hours): difference in competitive score performance (14-25 points)

CANADIAN AIRGUN GRAND PRIX - GRAND PRIX DE TIR A AIR CANADIEN
2012 TORONTO, ONTARIO 2012
24-26 February 2012 Doubletree International Plaza Hotel
655 Dixon Road
Toronto ON M9W 1J3
Canada

86 86 90 89 88 91 530X 4
91 87 87 83 81 90 519X 4 1049X

One month after :1 - 8 April 2012
The 2012 ISSF / PA National Championships will be hosted by NSWAPA and conducted at the Cessnock Pistol Club, 31 March - 8 April

10m Mens Air
Cessnock Pistol Club.
2012 ISSF & PA NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS
1 - 8 April 2012
Final Results - 08-Apr

93 87 86 89 95 94 544 -11x
http://midwestacademyconsulting.wordpre ... rts-today/
Who is your talking about at the ISSF PA Nationals?
The only competitor who shot that score was Greg ory Regan from Queensland. I should know, I was 2 lanes up from him...

Just wondering what the point of your post is, and if your saying that Gregory was shooting in Canada before the Nationals???
Russ

The "point"

Post by Russ »

The "point" sent by PM ;)
To: brakarzac
Verification

http://midwestacademyconsulting.wordpre ... ification/

Bad day vs. Good day.
all my scores counted by Tom Monto USAS coach and reported to HQ USAS
Alexander

Re: Recreational Olympic Pistol vs. Competitive Olympic Pist

Post by Alexander »

Russ wrote:From my experience, the most successful Olympic style target shooting athletes have not just one, but two or more coaches (personal coach and National Team coach).
This is true for most of our top shooters over here, too.

Alexander
Russ

Post by Russ »

In the USA it is just become a good tradition also. :)
Due to the bad economy, many golf clubs went bankrupt and smart people start searching for the soi-disant mental exercises….this is why target-shooting coaching rated #1 profession today. ;)
Attachments
this is practice day.jpg
BobGee

Re: The "point"

Post by BobGee »

Russ wrote:The "point" sent by PM ;)
To: brakarzac
Verification
Why can't you share the "point" with the rest of us who've taken the time to read your original (and many other) post.

Bob
Russ

Post by Russ »

He has courage to ask a right question.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Russ wrote:He has courage to ask a right question.
or merely the first to post a question that many others wondered about?
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Russ: I like the club house of that shooting range, of which you kindly shared the picture. I would prefer carriages to those stinky gasoline powered automobiles though. :-)

Alexander
Russ

Art of target shooting

Post by Russ »

The art of target shooting just became affection. We can’t stop people from expressing themselves in different ways.
It is all about imagination. Someone cannot believe that he can score 90, but in controversy; others cannot wait when they can start performing 99 and 100.
This is why people have different gathering places :-), just different ways of thinking and decision making.
I‘m expecting to start a new show: investment in education.
“How can two days of my life change the mediocrity of my initial performance?” :)
I’m working on a new art collection. I will collect art pieces.
Attachments
Education is beautiful thing
Education is beautiful thing
targets#2 April 15 2012.JPG (36.48 KiB) Viewed 4114 times
Two days of my life...
Two days of my life...
targets #1 - Jan 18 2011.JPG (46.1 KiB) Viewed 4118 times
Last edited by Russ on Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

Wow, all that in 15 months? Pure genius .
Russ

Post by Russ »

Your assumption is incorrect, sorry.
The important part is when training took place. You just missed one symbol: ","
1,5 months ;)

I have some records with 2,5 months, but 45 days looks more impressive from my point of view. :)

Sorry for the incorrection of dates in my records. Originally, it is dated 12/18/2011, but it does not matter how long you have stagnation of your performance, 1 year, 2 years or 3 years. The most important thing is the time when you start making the decision to change this pattern and you will start to look for different ways. Change the air suppressor, modify the grip, make your pistol more lighter, buy new equipment, change the pistol model and etc... In many cases, it will not drastically affect your performance. I saw this pattern for the last 20 years of my involvement in Olympic style target shooting. The new way of thinking and new knowledge can drastically change your performance in a short period of time. It is up to you to keep doing what you have done before or to start investing in education and the search for knowledge.
Last edited by Russ on Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Russ

“bad” days

Post by Russ »

Once you learned how to score “49” & “48” AP by using Structure, System and Strategy, and have Support in place; it will be hard to have “bad” days again. ;)
565 will be easy to reach in any condition!
Am I correct, Greg Derr? You know how THE Support was valuable to your own performance. :)

Did Don Hamilton do a good job for you?
Last edited by Russ on Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ

Post by Russ »

Sorry for the incorrection of dates in my records. Originally, first set of targets is dated 12/18/2011, but it does not matter how long you have stagnation of your performance, 1 year, 2 years or 3 years. The most important thing is the time when you start making the decision to change this pattern and you will start to look for different ways. Change the air suppressor, modify the grip, make your pistol more lighter, buy new equipment, change the pistol model and etc... In many cases, it will not drastically affect your performance. I saw this pattern for the last 20 years of my involvement in Olympic style target shooting. The new way of thinking and new knowledge can drastically change your performance in a short period of time. It is up to you to keep doing what you have done before or to start investing in education and the search for knowledge.
Last edited by Russ on Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

I've had the pleasure of meeting many great shooters, but not one of them ever fired a shot for me.
Russ

Post by Russ »

Let me tell you more. I embrace the history of Olympic style pistol or rifle development and the impact of new inovations in score performance. Today, most models of pistols are such advanced that you can take any brand from the shelf such as Morini, Anshutz, Feinwerkbau, Walther, and etc... Start practicing or competing immediately with a high score if you understand what you are doing. My advice again is if you are interested in engineering and development in the new model, it is okay to keep doing what you do. If you are looking for competitive score performance in search for correct knowledge, invest in education. It will save years for you.