TargetTalk

a place to talk about Olympic style shooting, rifle or pistol, 10 meters to 50 meters, and whatever is in between.
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:34 pm 

This is a new to me pistol. Functioned great with smooth jacketed bullets. However with LSWC the ejected round is hanging up on the edge of the wad cutter bullet. Maybe 1 in 15 gets stuck it happens more often with the last round.

Anybody having success with wad cutters in this pistol?

Would new mags be a possible fix with tighter lips that hold the bullet n the mag a little more nose down?

Thanks for any help. Regards. Monty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:15 pm 

Many moons ago while shooting at Camp Perry, I had a similar problem.

I was discussing the problem with my roommate in the hut (randomly assigned there).

Being an airplane sheet metal worker he offered a solution. Warning me that the magazine lips were extremely delicate and fussy, he placed the end of the magazine against the metal bed frame and taking a full arm swing with a heavy boot, brought the heel down with a resounding smack on the "delicate" lips.

The mag worked great after that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:02 am 

The two Pardini GT-45's that I have worked with have a very short throat in the barrel. Bullets that are seated with more than a mm of the cylindrical portion of the exposed will not work well. A H&G 68 style bullet seated with the bearing surface almost flush with the case mouth works well.
Gort

Post subject: Pardini Malfunction
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:52 am 

Greetings,

My GT-45 does the same thing. The fired case extracts, the rim catches on the shoulder of a SWC bullet, and the case returns to the chamber with the new bullet jammed in the end of it.

I tried to adjust the lips on one magazine and they broke.

My next plan is to to anneal the magazine lips, adjust them, then heat treat them again. I have been too busy to take this task on.

Perhaps PardiniUSA could be of some help?

On a side note, the barrel diameter of my gun is 0.450". Bullets sized to 0.452" have to be seated deep in the case to allow proper chambering. I have tinkered with 0.451" and 0.450" sizing dies; but, not enough to offer a proper evaluation.

Cheers,

Dave

Post subject: GT 45
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:00 pm 

I shoot Zero 185 JHP with 4.7 grains of N310 and/or Solo 1000 in my GT 45. I also shoot the Atlanta Arms 185 JHP match ammo. All provide the same result and the gun has no problem with either.

I have tried Zero 185 LSWCHP with 4.1 grains of Solo 1000 and had problems similar to what you appear to be having. When using the Zero 200 grain LSWC with 4.1 grains of Solo 1000, I have no problems. Bullseye powder works the same at 4.0 or 4.1 grains.

What all that means to me is that you may have a recoil spring problem and not a magazine problem or issue. If you have the heavy spring, then the JHP loads are probably suited to that spring and a lighter LSWC load may not be, or because they works sometimes and don't work sometimes, perhaps you are on the very edge of the recoil spring's ability to function the gun.

Recoil springs (heavy, medium, and light) are available from Larry's Guns in Maine. They cost a whole lot less than magazines and don't require any tweaking.

Before you try to bend or tweak your magazines and end up ruining them at great cost, try load changes by finding loads for jackeded and SWC that work with whatever spring you have.

A friend uses the heavy spring (came with the gun when new) and uses 4.7 grains of N310 for 50 yards and 4.3 grains of N310 for 25 yards. He also uses Solo 1000. He has no problems with those loads and his GT-45. His scores are high master level.

I noticed the Richmond location. Bring your GT 45 to the Cavalier 2700 on March 7th and I will bring extra ammo that I use in my GT 45 for you to try.

Sobakavitch (Chuck)

Post subject: Update on things tried
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:32 am 

Thanks for all the advice.
Tried 200 grain penn lswc with 4/4.2/4.4 grains of bullseye. Shot 30 some rounds of each. No problem.
Tried 200 grain Magnus lswc with 4 grains bullseye. Shot 60 and had 2 jams. Case is sititing right on top of the round in the magazine. I loaded a seasons worth of these for this year for 25 yard line so I wanted to make this work.
Penn and Magnus rounds look exactly alike. Same oal, same profile. Puzzling.

Next step is to try a new light and medium spring. If that does not show result then I might confirm the penn bullet and charge level for reliability. Make the switch for this pistol possibly.

Again thanks for the help. I will be at the cavalier match and will look up the pardini users. Now know there are 2 of you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:52 am 

I had the same issue with my colt, turned out to be a weak magazine spring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:51 pm 

MY PArdini GT-45 functined flawlessly with the 185 gr. Star LSWCHP seated with a base to shoulder length of 0.935". The only issue was that it would eject the brass directly overhead. i used 3.8 gr. HS-700X for 25 yards and 3.8 gr. VV N-310 for 50 yards.