My Observations From The Canadian Airgun Grand Prix

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Russ

My Observations From The Canadian Airgun Grand Prix

Post by Russ »

I just arrived from the Canadian Airgun Grand Prix and would like to share a few thoughts of my observations. I found it very interesting what I saw on Friday during open practice before the CAGP. Probably only one shooter used a blank target during the practice session, who eventually became the top shooter on the list over a two day competition with the highest score. My second observation was when I saw another top shooter who spent about fifteen to twenty minutes writing in their shooting diary while sitting in the same chair after their last shot. My question is how many less experienced athletes who came to this competition with the desire to make the national team or perform the best possible score do not really pay attention at the small details which top shooters cannot ignore.

My best wishes to all.
Coastwatcher

Post by Coastwatcher »

Are the results posted anywhere. Nothing on the SFC website.
mjmarz

The devil is in the details

Post by mjmarz »

How right you are Russ.
Russ

Competitions Are A Learning Process.

Post by Russ »

I would like to share some other thoughts from the 30th Canadian Airgun Grand Prix.

Competition is definitely a very important stepping stone in the learning process of developing skills and knowledge for any athlete, not only by analyzing their own performance, but what is most important by learning from the performance of other top athletes. How many of you checked prior to the mach in your schedule the performance of top of international ranked athletes in your discipline (pistol or rifle)? Yes, we have many people observing finals and many failed to check the technique of those top eight finalists before this moment (actual two days match).

I see many who are interested to know and learn about the mental game of this sport. Yes, it is a crucial part of any successful development. Patrick Haynes made a very clear statement about it in his presentation and he also mentioned a shot plan, which from my point of view for many less experienced shooters is still a very weak link to progress in their development. Many inexperienced shooters are still looking for magic tips instead of the development of a solid shot plan execution. It is sometimes not a very exciting process but this is what makes the difference in performance of champions and others who cannot deliver a solid international level performance. In conclusion, if you are looking to progress in this sport, please take notes for yourself in order to check the performance of elite athletes, even observation will tell you much.
Patrick Haynes

CAGP Results should be available tonight

Post by Patrick Haynes »

Lou Anderson has mentioned that the results will be available around 9pm EST. With 200 competitors, you want to make sure they're right.

It was good meeting you, Russ. Next time, we should spend some time and talk more.

Regards,
Patrick
orionshooter

Post by orionshooter »

I think a very strong case can be made that using the back side of a target for sighters is prohibited by the rules. Personally I agree that this exercise is very valuable. However, I wouldn't try it at a match.

Dave Levene can you give us an opinion in your capacity as the most well versed on the rules?
Russ

Post by Russ »

"only one shooter used a blank target during the practice session",
No one is suggesting to do this during the actual match.
LukeP

Re: Competitions Are A Learning Process.

Post by LukeP »

Russ wrote: Many inexperienced shooters are still looking for magic tips instead of the development of a solid shot plan execution. It is sometimes not a very exciting process but this is what makes the difference in performance of champions and others who cannot deliver a solid international level performance.
Hi Russ,
please can you explain what you mean for shot plan?
Is it a fixed schedule for everyone? or it's something "you must be completely convinced of what you are doing "?
Can you post an example?
Thanks,
Luca.
Russ

"Shot Plan"

Post by Russ »

I think it is a common term in our field and any coach can explain it with some specific details related to their knowledge and experience. In general, it should cover the fundamentals of shot execution (Chapter 6: Basic Pistol by the NRA book or other available sources). Anyone must learn this knowledge prior to anything related to word, “practice”.

In other words, "Shot Plan" is close to these similar ideas:
"Failing to plan is planning to fail."
"Happy people plan actions, they don't plan results”

"Is it a fixed schedule for everyone? or it's something "you must be completely convinced of what you are doing "?"

I think “shot plan” can be better described as an individual plan developed in partnership with a personal coach in order to deliver a desired performance with a high level of confidence.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I'm going to go out on a limb here & guess that what Russ calls a "shot plan" is what many others refer to as a "shot process".

It's an individual thing, but it should incorporate (in fine detail) all of the steps you need to go through to shoot a ten. How you get a good stance, a good grip, how many breaths you take between shots, how fast you lift the pistol, when you pick up your sights, etc. etc. Eventually, all those details should become automatic, but if you don't have a conscious record of it, you can get derailed & not know how to get back to shooting tens.

Here is some info from Brian Zins on the subject:

http://www.brianzins.com/2010/03/27/ant ... y-does-it/
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Actually what Russ calls a shot plan is what I've heard just about anyone else call a shot plan, it is basically a shot process, it aids in making the process consistent from shot to shot. A shot plan is probably similar for most but they are very personal to each shooter and as a shooter progresses their shot plan may change as well. They may start out very detailed and as a shooter progresses they usually become simpler.
Russ

Post by Russ »

I like your statement Richard H. Can I make a correction for it to“become simpler’’? I think it will be more accurate to say, “become more Comprehensive” with attention paid toward high detailed values on subjects such as “Psychology of achievement”.
After 575 AP, it will not be any simpler. I just have to pay attention to a different game since 575 became an automatic process, and the NEW Game is played a different way in comparison with the first part to score 570.
Just my two cents.
Last edited by Russ on Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

By simpler what I mean is that early on the shot plan might be very wordy, with lots of details as the athlete progress and the plan becomes automatic the athletes tend to reduce the level of detail even to the point of just key words as reminders or cues. The plan in itself is not simpler, it is the same, the written expression becomes less verbose. Yes as an athlete progresses and learns new things their shot plan will reflect those. I hope that clarifies it a little more.
Russ

"less wordy"

Post by Russ »

Yes, I absolutely agree with this statement. It is "less wordy".

Why is "less wordy" important?
Because the next step will take more attention for the different part of performance.
Last edited by Russ on Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Less wordy is important as you progress through the learning cycle and internalization of skills

1. unconscious and incompetent (won't have a shot plan have no clue what you're doing or supposed to do)

2. conscious and incompetent (know what you're suppose to do but haven't developed the skills to accomplish task) (might have started a shot plan)

3. conscious and competent (have a detailed (wordy) shot plan (instructions) and can perform the task reasonably well with thought.

4. subconscious and competent (the process has been internalized and is consistent without conscious thought, shot plan is used as a reminder to keep on track thus less wordiness is required, highly skilled and task is done to a high level of proficiency.
Patrick Haynes

Shot Plans = Performance Routines

Post by Patrick Haynes »

I'd like to expand the discussion of shot plans to look at performance routines, specifically pre-performance routines.

Research and sports use various terms: plan, strategy, protocol, procedure, technique, ritual or “a pre-shot routine”. The goal of routine is to facilitate learning, performance, and achievement.

Research has been done in this area and the following conclusion was drawn: “In the absence of a meaningful and trusted readying protocol, athletes decrease the probability of performing well, and consistently well, across competitions... Evidence, primarily obtained in aiming sports, suggests that outstanding performers can be distinguished from other performers in their pre-performance state.”

Interesting stuff...

The purpose of the routine is to put oneself in an optimal emotional, high self-expectant, confident and focused state immediately prior to execution, and to remain that way during the act. If done correctly, it enable the athlete to control and direct emotions, thoughts and attention; thereby, being focused, under control and in a state of flow.

A good pre-performance routine must include:
  • Self-regulation of thoughts and emotions, compatible with what needs to be done
    Narrow, deep and sustained concentration
    Ideal belief in ability to perform and high but attainable performance expectations
    Optimal brain activation, indicating a quiet mind
    Optimal visual orientation to the target (frequency and duration of fixations), indicative of direction of attention
    Consistency in generating a routine in attaining pre- and during-performance states that facilitate performance
    Automaticity in activating those processes that enable one to perform effortlessly, effectively and successfully
Compare your plan to this five step model, as proposed by Robert N. Singer, PhD:
  • Readying: Think positively as to the performance expectations; attain an optimal attitudinal-emotional state; attempt to do things in preparation for performance that are associated with previous best performances; try to attain consistency as to preparatory mechanics.
    Imaging: Briefly mentally picture performing the act – how it should be done, and how you can do it at your very best; visualize from the results of the act to its initiation; feel the movement.
    Focusing: Concentrating intensely on one relevant feature of the situation, such as the aligned sights and sight picture, think only of this cue, which will block out other thoughts.
    Executing: Do it when you feel you are ready; do not think of anything else about the act itself or the possible outcome.
    Evaluating: If time permits, use the available feedback to learn from; assess the performance outcome and effectiveness of each step in the routine; adjust any procedure if necessary next time.
Look at your shot plan. Make sure that it is more than process (which is IMPORTANT.) Does it incorprate these components? A well-learned pre- and during-performance routine helps to integrate goal intention with visual, positional and motion-detecting mechanisms, in turn enhancing decision-making, response selection, and action processes. Consequently, execution thus becomes effortless and effective, and expertise is achieved.

As a coach, I want my athletes to have a well developed routine which prepares them to deliver a shot. The result is that higher levels of performance, coupled with consistency of delivery, will be achieved. If I identified two athletes of equal technical ability (say, identical SCATT values), I'd wager heavily that the athlete who adheres closest to a developed routine will outperform his technically-equal rival.

Just some thoughts.
Patrick
v76

Post by v76 »

Great informative post, thanks Patrick!
Russ

Post by Russ »

CANADIAN AIRGUN GRAND PRIX - GRAND PRIX DE TIR A AIR CANADIEN
2012 TORONTO, ONTARIO 2012

http://www.sfc-ftc.ca/uploads/public_re ... ult_61.pdf

"The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another." William James
Is it??????? :)