Anschutz 54 Stock

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

inrutt

Anschutz 54 Stock

Post by inrutt »

I was gifted an Anschutz 54 for my 12 yr old daughter to shoot smallbore competition with. She handles it okay and should become very proficient with practice and strength training. The only problem is the stock being to large and not adjustable to her fit. Does anyone know if there's a fully adjustable stock available for this rifle and how much plasma will it take me to get one? I can't see chopping the factory stock to fit especially since she's still growing. Any ideas?
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Inrutt,

there are many, many adjustable stocks for the Match 54. If you are looking to buy new (or nearly new) the likely choices would be the 1912 Sport, the 1918 Precise, and the 2213. The 1912 is a wood stock, it has a thumbhole grip, adjustable cheekpiece and butt (normally with the current Anschutz hook). The 1918 and 2213 are aluminium. Both have an adjustable pistol grip, cheekpiece, and butt (normally with a hook), and a shallow fore-end. The 2213 is cast, whereas the 1918 is machined from solid bar and is stronger. The 1918 has greater and more precise adjustments.

If looking for an older second-hand stock, the 1807 and 1907 UIT standard stocks both have an adjustable cheekpiece (using spacers or wedges). These are longer in the butt than the alu stocks, and have a much deeper forearm. Probably these are newer versions of the Match 54 she uses now. An 1813 or 1913 would have more adjustment, these are the Supermatch thumbhole models (like a larger 1912).

As well as Anschutz, Walther, FWB, Grunig & Elmiger, and Keppeler alu stocks can be fitted (via an adaptor plate). MEC and System Gemini are machined for the Match 54.

Tim S
Last edited by Tim S on Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
inrutt

Post by inrutt »

Thank you Tim,
That is great info and gives me some specific direction.
I thought I knew a few things about shooting before starting into competative shooting. Now I hardly know where to begin. So I do appreciate you taking the time to respond!
ZD

Post by ZD »

Just out of curiosity about what score range does your daughter shoot in? This would be helpful, as you want to avoid buying her a stock that is overcomplicated for her level. And what is the model of the barreled action your were given? Although all 54's will fit in any of the current Anschutz 19 series stocks, it would be helpful to know whether the barreled action your were given is a "heavy action or light action." This will be specified as a 1407 or 1413, 1807 or 1813, or 1907 and 1913 (a barreled action designated with a "13" is heavier than its lighter cousin, the heavier is an inch longer and the barrel is thicker, thus heavier). The model designation of the rifle will be located just in front of the chamber along the barrel. Unless your action predates this, or there is the occasional in between action (I have seen an 1810, which was a predate model to the 1813). My concern would be your daughters size, a heavier barreled action could be too heavy for standing and cause back problems (personally I shoot a 1907 in a 1918 precise because I did not want too heavy of a rifle for offhand, and I am a 135 guy. If I were to recommend a stock, I would go for a 1912 stock, which is a thumbhole Anschutz stock with the modern adjustments, normally paired with a 1907 barreled action. This stock is much lighter than an aluminum stock, and will give you the full range of adjustments minus the adjustable grip, which I feel is overrated (and yet both my air and smallbore have an adjustable grip). It will run you at least 1400 dollars, however this will make your rifle practically top of the line. Sorry if this is a bit overwhelming. Check out champion shooters and Champions choice, you will probably have to call and ask. Neal Stepp may be worth a try as well, but I have never ordered from him so someone else might know. Anyway more info would be appreciated, it would benefit any more responses.
USMC0802

Post by USMC0802 »

There have been some used stocks for sale on here recently for around $600 (which is a good price). However, there is nothing wrong with cutting the stock to fit her. If your current buttplate or butthook is not adjustable for length of pull, it is easily added for a lot less money than a new stock. There are also other things that can be done to lighten the stock if weight is an issue.
inrutt

Post by inrutt »

There's a six digit serial number on L side of chamber that doesn't seem to correlate to anything. On the barrel on L side is an eagle with 74 under it. Made in 74 maybe?
This rifle is to heavy for her at 11lbs. However, I do not think it will be for very long.
An adjustable stock is over her head still. It will take considerable shopping around and time before she gets one. I would bet the acquisition and the ability will happen about the same time. Modifying the existing stock may be an option if length of pull and comb height can both be worked in. It does give me a slight morale dilemma to disfigure such a beauty though.
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

Inrutt,
My son is 110# and he was shooting a Model 52 cut down version that weighed in a 12#. I found a Walther UIT Match, that was cut down and tore off the 70's Freeland buttplate assembly. That was heavy aluminum they used back then. I bought a Champions Choice BP130 that is only a few ounces. I trimmed the weight of this rifle to under 9lbs. His standing scores have gone way up. I don't think you would be well served to buy an aluminum stock now. The weight savings are not that much compared to removing chunks of wood from your present stock and if your daughter is still shooting in a few years, the aluminum stock upgrade might be a good idea. You can find fullsize 54 stocks all over the internet from all the people upgrading to those aluminum stocks. Thus if boys are her big craze in a few years, you won't be out any $$$$
Chris
USMC0802

Post by USMC0802 »

I know someone who recently had the same issue with weight. They had the barrel shortened and then added a bloop tube. They shortened the length of the stock since it is rare to find anyone having to put the handstop out at the end. The big weight savings came by removing the factory butthook and installing an aluminum one from ESP. ESP also sells the hardware to convert the stock to an adjustable cheek rest. Although I understand your concern with cutting the stock, keep in mind that shooting is a very competitive sport and if the rifle does not fit her, she may as well find a new hobby. If you ever decide to sell your rifle, keep in mind that stocks shortened to fit kids and growing teens are always in demand so it shouldn't really hurt the resale. If you are concerned about cutting it, buy an extra used wood stock and use it to cut down. good luck
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

inrutt wrote:There's a six digit serial number on L side of chamber that doesn't seem to correlate to anything. On the barrel on L side is an eagle with 74 under it. Made in 74 maybe?
This rifle is to heavy for her at 11lbs. However, I do not think it will be for very long.
An adjustable stock is over her head still. It will take considerable shopping around and time before she gets one. I would bet the acquisition and the ability will happen about the same time. Modifying the existing stock may be an option if length of pull and comb height can both be worked in. It does give me a slight morale dilemma to disfigure such a beauty though.
The barrel was indeed made in 1974.

I agree with some of the others, you can introduce too much complexity too soon. Often juniors and beginners just enjoy the shooting, without the obsesssion over details that older shooters often like.

When my wife started shooting a few years ago, she found the standard 1903 uncomfortable. She ended up using a modified 1911 prone stock; this had two inches off the butt, and two inches off the fore-end, which I had rounded down with a rasp. The height-adjustable cheekpiece and a new cheekpiece (expertly crafted from a piece of 1x1in pine with a penknife) gave all the adjustment she needed for prone.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

ZD wrote:(I have seen an 1810, which was a predate model to the 1813). .
The 1810 and 1813 were actuallly contemporary. Both use the same 69cm heavy barrel. The 1810 (and it's 1610, and 1410 predecessors) were developed form the 1960s 1409, a cheaper version of the 1413 Supermatch.
skylark

Post by skylark »

I would take half an inch (maybe more) off the back end of the stock - do you have access to a circular saw so you can make a nice smooth straight cut? You may then need to drill the holes out a bit to refit the butt plate.

Keep the piece you cut off - if/when she grows, you just put it back in with some slightly longer screws.

(I'm saying that with a grin. My dad cut about 3/4 inch off the back end of my 1807 stock when I was 13, and we kept it for when I grew. Still 5'2, still have the bit of wood, never did put it back.)

Or, if you are crafty (and she's a relative beginner), make one! It doesn't have to be amazing. My (very small for his age) 12 year old is shooting with a standard rifle CM-2 barrel in a stock grandad made from some scrap softwood to be as small and light as possible. It's more front heavy than I'd like, but it works and he's having fun, and I still have the real one intact to put back on when he's bigger. (I say intact - that one has half an inch sawn off the back as well :) )

The older adjustable Anschutz alu stocks will almost certainly be too long for her even minimum length. I think the Precision goes shorter, but that's a lot of money.
JDBraddy

Post by JDBraddy »

I have an Anschutz 54 that has obviously been cut down for a junior, and a length adjustable aftermarket butplate intalled. It's an older 1407 stock. Wouldn't mind having an unaltered stock for it that is in good condition. Might be willing to work a trade depending on what you have. Here's an image.

gramey

Model 54 stock wanted

Post by gramey »

Hi Folks,
I am looking to buy a Model 54 prone wood stock.
I cracked mine after a match in 1972 and I am finally tired of not having a nice stock!

If anyone has a wood stock for sale, please let me know.
Scratched or nicked etc is fine as I'll refinish it.
Thanks,
Gary
ncramey@aol.com