IZH 46M Custom Grips

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Jetter55

IZH 46M Custom Grips

Post by Jetter55 »

I have made a set of grips for my IZH that have 17 degrees more rake than the stock grips. I haven't seen a lot of grip options for this pistol, so I was thinking of making blank "kits". If I were to do this, the kits would be roughly the same (oversized) mass of the originals to allow custom fitting to your hand, but with the added rake. The material is synthetic - a urethane machining board I use at work. I was wondering if there might be any interest out there? Your thoughts and opinions would be appreciated. (By the way, the finish is rustoleum texture paint. Seems to be holding up well).
Attachments
IMG_2423s.jpg
IMG_2424s.jpg
IMG_2425s.jpg
IMG_2426s.jpg
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

Very good looking.

Dremmel off excess.

But how do I ADD to it? How to make addition consistent in appearance?
Jetter55

Post by Jetter55 »

If additional material is needed, regular autobody filler sticks very well. It's relatively easy to sand as well. We use Evercoat products for filling this material.
wattsnot

Post by wattsnot »

Very nice! I'll buy a set. How much?
Jetter55

Post by Jetter55 »

Wattsnot,

I believe I could make these available for around $75. However, I am still in the planning stages at this point - just trying to gauge interest. Keep in mind that these would not be finished grips. When I started with mine, they were basically 1" think profile pieces. I plan to create surfaces for the ones I would sell, and machine them to a 'more' finished state.
Dehouser

Post by Dehouser »

I'd be interested, as well. They look great.
philip_T

Grips

Post by philip_T »

Depends on cost and workability with hand tools / dremel.
Yes, Interested.
Misny

Post by Misny »

Just a caution before you get rolling. Make sure that they fit in the "box". I've seen aftermarket grips for air pistols that wouldn't fit.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Misny wrote:Just a caution before you get rolling. Make sure that they fit in the "box". I've seen aftermarket grips for air pistols that wouldn't fit.
The IZH/MP 46M that are coming out of the factory may have different grip dimensions, so it would be wise for the people who are interested in buying your custom grips to actually demount the factory grip, trace the actual grip frame and screw holes with a pencil on a piece of paper for that particular pistol...
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Yeah, that 'in the box' tip is an important one for this pistol in particular. Making my grip with a much steeper angle and deeper block for my fairly large hand put the rear of the grip about 6mm over the 420mm limit, though it did not break the rule about contact with the wrist, not even close. I had to saw mine off and re-carve back there, rendering a rather ugly back end geometry, but now it's at 419mm. Also 1mm under the maximum dimension in width at centre-palm. Had to shave off a bit of thumb shelf to get it there.

There is a little bit of flexibility on vertical fitting with this model, as the only critical stop is the underside of the rear sight frame area. If you leave a little bit of extra room there in the cutout - perhaps a bit difficult if you want the web of the hand close to the bore line - there should be room for a small range of hole placement in the frames of these not quite precision made pistol frames. Or perhaps leave that area a bit full and let the individual purchaser align their frame with the grip and carve out that upper opening to match their pistol. I know one after-market 46m grip maker has abandoned the model for this reason, as it was just too difficult making a one size fits all pattern due to Baikal's inconsistencies.
bellavita

grips

Post by bellavita »

it looks great. i just cut my own out of oak, what an ordeal... also, will you make them for lefties? thats the hard part for me as i am a lefty. I'd be interested if it's priced right.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Very nice! I know you'll sell a lot of them if IZHs' quality control (?) doesn't sink you.

You might start with the lefties since there could be a real demand. Take pity on those poor sinister folks.

You could make a Med. and Large size since many potential buyers are "handy" impaired. Your projected $75 price sounds very good, too.
Jetter55

Post by Jetter55 »

Gentlemen,

I appreciate your comments! The more I read, the more I think it might be wise to just cut the blanks as profiles, with no pre-shaping at all. That is how I started with the grips pictured. The material sands very easily, and has no grain to worry about. I will try to cut a few of those blanks this weekend, and post pictures so that you know what to expect. It feels very strange to hold the 'raw' grips - kind of like holding a brick. Even though it's more work for the end user, the cost could be kept lower. I will install a threaded insert in one side, and provide socket head screws to attach the grips and palm shelf. However, I used the original threaded steel back plate for the shelf attachment.

To Misny: I believe the pistol fits in "the box", but will check to be sure. I'm not sure if I will ever compete, so I wasn't too concerned with that.

To Gerard & Rover: I understand that there may be inconsistencies from one pistol to another. I guess we won't know until we try a few. I hope they are at least close....

To Bellavita: Left handed would not be a problem.

Thanks to all for the compliments.
Jetter55

Post by Jetter55 »

Today, I made a few (right hand) blanks. I also made a slightly undersize box to test the fit. Mine does not quite fit, but it is just shy. A little more sanding (or remove the cocking lever pad) and it would go. I would recommend building a box to anyone who plans to compete. I have attached a few images. I did not have time to build the shelves yet - maybe tomorrow. I decided to give the right grip a little shape, so it would be easier to make a fitted shelf. Dimensions were taken from original IZH grip. Stay tuned....
Attachments
almosts.jpg
rake compares.jpg
3-4 views.jpg
right sides.jpg
Jetter55

Post by Jetter55 »

Gentlemen,

I have a few grip 'kits' ready. Obviously, they fit my gun. I suppose I will post these in the for sale forum, but wanted to make all aware before I did. Note that the grips will NOT fit in the 'box' in their rough form, but they will fit with some minor tweaking.
Attachments
IMG_0055.jpg
IMG_0056.jpg
IMG_0057.jpg
Yamaharider

Post by Yamaharider »

look great! what is the "urethane machining board" you are using? Is it very hard, resist chipping? I am just not familiar with it.
Are you ready to take orders?
Thanks
Rover

Post by Rover »

After looking closely at your photos, I have two comments: you can make it fit the box by removing a little at the rear of the grip since it serves no real function; if you could make the pistol sit even lower in the hand it would be nice.
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

I would like to try something like this myself. Is it just to remove the grips for study, og do I have to be careful about certain screws or something ?

Does anyone have the measurements for the original (blueprints ?) and a suggestion for what kind of material (please be spesific - I live in Norway , an probably won't get SuperPutty(tm) since we have different brands) ?
Jetter55

Post by Jetter55 »

To Yamaharider, the material is REN Shape 450. It is similar to working with wood, only without the grain. It's density is 40 lbs per cubic foot, which is similar to ash. It takes paint and putty very well, and is not brittle. Three of the five kits I have made so far are spoken for. Send a PM if you want one. ($50 + shipping)

To Rover: The grips I am making now will fit in the box with only minor sanding in the area you mentioned. I think the most difficult dimension to maintain is the 50mm thickness. What feels good in my hand is thicker than that. I will look into the lowering on future generations.

To Lindy: I started by removing my grips and taking measurements. I was never able to locate any usable drawings, so i had to develop my own from trial and error.
sagara wimaladharma

IZH 46 custom grips..

Post by sagara wimaladharma »

Hi,

I have seen this pistol.. but I feel the trigger is too far for trigger finger.with this new modified grip, the distance will be more. can't we adjust the trigger more close to the finger.

Rgds
Sagara