Scatt Question - Shot Location

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

ScottSimmonds

Scatt Question - Shot Location

Post by ScottSimmonds »

New Scatt user. Very interesting so far. I have identified a few issues with my shooting.

It traces my position on the target as I aim and shows where the shot breaks.

The position of where the trigger breaks and the "breach" hole are not the same. Sometimes they are close and sometimes they are two rings away.

Why?

Scott Simmonds
Maine
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

There is an inbuilt delay to allow for movement while the projectile is still in the barrel.

To have the trigger break and the shot hole the same set the f-coefficient to zero.

Keeping the pre-set f-coefficient approximates what would happen when live firing. Some people feel that setting the f-coefficient to zero is more useful when judging the effects of equipment/technique changes.
dflast

Post by dflast »

You may notice that Scatt "throws" the shot proportionally to how fast the aiming trace was moving at trigger break. This does mimic real-life and is potentially a training tool to encourage trigger release at the stillest phase of one's hold.

If you want to tune Scatt's f-coefficient to your particular gun, live fire several strings through the Scatt frame, and compare the paper targets to the corresponding electronic ones. Plug in different values of "f" to the Scatt files until you find the one where the virtual targets most closely resembles the real ones, and set that value every time you log on (unfortunately, Scatt won't remember it.) The default value appears to be intended for air rifle - my own AP matches best at 7 or 8.

Warning: the live/virtual traces will never be exactly alike, so don't obsess about making them so!
westerngriz

Post by westerngriz »

I turn the F coefficient to "0". All I want to do is train my hold size at this point. It is also a great confidence boost to shoot a 106.5+:).
Matt