Two-handed grip pressure

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
rstriano

Two-handed grip pressure

Post by rstriano »

I am concentrating on two points of contact. The web between my thumb and index figure, pushing and the middle of my left hand fingers pulling. No gripping with my right hand fingers or thumbs.

I am new and would like any feedback on two-handed grips.

Thanks
philip_T

Right hand grip??

Post by philip_T »

Using a bullseye grip would be center and ring finger pulling back
towards base of thumb. Thumb relaxed ,trigger finger relaxed,
Small finger relaxed. Take four fingers of the left hand and cover
the three fingers below the trigger guard of your shooting hand.
Place left thumb over, under, or alongside the relaxed right thumb.
Right hand firm grip for control, left hand added with just a bit of
pull back to help stabilize sights.Trigger hand always is strong hand.
Big magnum - more left hand grip. JMO--
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

You might get more response if you post the same question in the Bullseye section.

As you probably know, Olympic style pistol is all shot single handed.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

David Levene wrote:You might get more response if you post the same question in the Bullseye section.

As is bullseye.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Isabel1130 wrote:
David Levene wrote:You might get more response if you post the same question in the Bullseye section.

As is bullseye.
My apologies; I didn't realise that.
orionshooter

Post by orionshooter »

Do the following search on YouTube: "Todd Jarrett on Pistol Shooting"

Some of the best advice possible on the subject of the two hand hold.
rstriano

Post by rstriano »

Thank you! I will do the search. I was also taight this weekend the left arm is bent for a right hand shooter kinda tuycked at the side which seems to me to bring a lot more angles and large muscles into the hold.
orionshooter

Post by orionshooter »

I think you are describing what is known as a "Weaver" stance which calls for keeping your strong side foot behind the other which then permits full extension of one arm while bending the other elbow. Excellent for minimizing the target you present to the other shooter. However, in the action shooting sports where scoring and not surviving is the goal, this stance is by far the least popular.

Take care.
T191032

Re: Two-handed grip pressure

Post by T191032 »

rstriano wrote:I am new and would like any feedback on two-handed grips.

Thanks
A search of the Internet of : "The Modern Technique of the Pistol" (Weaver) or "The Modern Isoceles" will bring you lots of information.

On another board which I am on, I discussed the topic about reading a gun magazine article and another "technique" -
http://www.crosman-air-pistol-owners-fo ... opic=681.0

Good luck with your shooting!
BenEnglishTX

Two observations and a question

Post by BenEnglishTX »

Two things have recently struck me about my stance and hold.

First and as off-topic to this site as the original poster, because I'm an old man and learned by looking at pictures of Jeff Cooper I still believe that an exaggerated Weaver with both elbows severely bent and the pistol just in front of my face is the best way to shoot a hard-kicking pistol quickly while maintaining defensive accuracy standards, i.e. being able to hit an 8-inch circle. After all, in most defensive shooting games, if you can hit a target smaller than 8 inches or so, then you need to be shooting faster.

Second and more to the point in this forum, I've recently started competing in Glock indoor league shoots. The time frames are generous (15 or 30 seconds to fire 10 rounds) as are the target sizes (the 10-ring is 8 inches across) while the distances are short (25 yards, max, with most shots at 50 feet or less).

For me, in these shaky, early days of returning to pistol shooting after a multi-year layoff, I found that doing what everyone else on the line was doing didn't work for me. Everyone uses two hands. Given where I am in my stage of development as a shooter, two hands just gives me twice the complexity. How much pressure, front to back? If I wrap my off-hand fingers far around the grip and press in, am I pushing shots to my off-hand side? Depending on how much pressure is exerted rearward by the fingers of the off hand, how much vertical stringing will I experience if I'm not consistent? (Answer: A whole bunch.) There were so many variables and I was doing a lousy job of controlling for all of them.

I decided to try shooting one-handed. Instantly, things were simplified. I needed to take a good grip, understand the line of recoil and how it coincides with the forearm, press the trigger directly to the rear, align sights, and achieve a surprise break. All the extra complication of off-hand placement and pressure were removed.

Bottom line - My old bullseye groove took over and all my group sizes shrank severely.

I did a round of practice today and shot the course several times with one hand, scoring 496, 490, and 488. (A possible is 500.) My normal practice scores are in the 470s. I'm entering a match tomorrow and I'm fairly sure I'll be the only person on the line shooting one-handed. Assuming match nerves don't kill me (they usually do), I expect to shoot my best scores, ever.

Is this just a confirmation bias? Am I just seeing what I want to see here? Or is it really the case that, barring a need for quick follow-ups with hard-kicking pistols, a one-hand hold actually makes it easier to shoot smaller groups?
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Bottom line - My old bullseye groove took over and all my group sizes shrank severely.
Ben, I think you answered your own question. You shoot smaller groups because you are used to shooting one hand/BE style. In addition, the time constraint you mention is very generous: 15-30 sec for 10 shots compared to the BE Rapid Fire stage of 10 sec for 5 shots with a 45 cal pistol.

Re Jeff Cooper/Weaver stance, I believe a majority of IPSC/IDPA/Action shooters today use the Isosceles stance.

Fred