Newbie looking for a first .22LR

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Scooper2600

Newbie looking for a first .22LR

Post by Scooper2600 »

Hey all!

I'm new to shooting and firearms. I don't have a whole lot of experience, but I have gone to the range a few times with friends. They suggested that I come here and see if the forum could give me any input on a first rifle.

Preferable Specs:
+Sub$400
+Bolt Action
+Magazine loaded prefered

I plan to use it for range target shooting, possibly competition down the road. Any help is appreciated
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

You won't have much luck here, as Olympic shooting requires single shot rifles. Try rimfirecentral.com.
Tom Amlie

Post by Tom Amlie »

Even though this forum is devoted to "Olympic Shooting" disciplines, where single-shot rifles are required, I am sure plenty of people will be willing to chime in with suggestions.

If you drop the "magazine fed" requirement, CDNN Investments has (had?) some Russian CM-2 rifles at a great price. Used, and varying in cosmetic condition, but excellent, accurate rifles. One of those will take you a long way in competitive shooting at a good price.

I'm sure someone else here could give you advice on what's available in terms of clip-fed rifles. An old Remington 513-T (not made in decades) is an excellent choice, but unfortunately they sell for collector value more than shooter value. The Mossberg M44 (also no longer made) is a good entry level rifle as well. Not nearly as good as the 513T or CM2; more of a lower entry-level rifle. I'm sure there's some current production stuff; I just don't follow that area too much.
TomAmlie

Post by TomAmlie »

Bah. I should have logged in so I could edit my post. Anyway, page 26 of the current CDNN catalog has the CM-2 for 279/299 (you don't want the 229/no sights version!). Maybe someone else could post what the differences are between the top and side mount sights.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/

http://site.cdnninvestments.com/CDNN2011-1/index.html
tuj

Post by tuj »

CZ452 or a Savage with accu-trigger. Seriously, head over to RFC and those guys will chime in with a bunch more suggestions.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Hit any gun store or pawn shop and you'll find something to suit you for WAY less than $400.

If you buy from a gun store you will probably get better advice on which to buy than from a pawn shop, but you can haggle them way down at the pawn shop.

Maybe take a knowledgeable friend.
Steve N

Post by Steve N »

I'd like to get into rimfire sporter class shooting. I'm checking into a Savage MKII BTVS with laminated thumbhole stock, stainless barrel, bolt action, 10 round magazine. This one has the Accutrigger, veeerrryyy nice! Dick's can special order one for $399. Gander Mountain will bring one in from another store for $419 plus $10 transfer fee. But I'll need to add a scope, so that will be another $100-$200. I just need to make sure they're legal for rimfire sporter first.

Any of the Savage Mark II rifles will be good. If you can afford one with Accutrigger, you will be better off.

I look to shoot at long distance targets. Its fun to hit quarters at 100 yards.