Dumb question about recoil absorbers

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
tenex

Dumb question about recoil absorbers

Post by tenex »

I shot my friend's LP10 the other day, very interesting. Definitely less muzzle flip than my Pardini. I assume the most significant difference is the recoil absorber. The real question is: why do I really care about muzzle flip? The pellets end up in the same place.

Just trying to decide for myself if the absorber is worth the added complexity (and cost) to me at least.

Any insight would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve.
Fjodor

To absorb or not to absorb

Post by Fjodor »

Absorbers may introduce an additional variable, especially over some time.
Well constructed absorbers, like that of the LP 10 may improve your scores.
Not all absorbers are as "erfolgreich" as that of the LP 10.

I have noticed that many world cup AP matches are still won with the Morini 162.
That gun has no absorber.
peterz

Post by peterz »

For me the advantage of the absorber is psychological: I know that if the muzzle jumps, I made a mistake. If the muzzle is rock steady through the shot and follow-through, it's less likely that I made a gross error. Yes, I also think it helps with the actual steadiness too.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

I have found no difference in perceived muzzle jump between my FWB P44 and my FWB 103. When I make a good shot, the sight doesn't move with either gun.
tenex

Post by tenex »

Very interesting. I'm trying to decide on the minimum feature set I really want on an air pistol, here's where I am so far:

I do want:
adjustable width rear sight
adjustable grip position
diffuser
loading port (fat fingers!)

I don't want
ported barrel
recoil absorber
electronic trigger
adjustable sight radius

My thoughts are that the ports and absorber don't tell me anything the target doesn't, and don't do anything for dry fire. I'm not averse to electronic triggers, just to unreliable electronics, annoying batteries, and excessive cost :)

Looks like the LP2 might be the ticket, trying to decide if it's worth swapping my Pardini for it.
Steve.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Steve, you might also want to consider weight. It becomes more important as you get older and arthritis, etc sets in :-)
You can always make a light gun heavier/change its balance; harder to make a heavy gun lighter.

Fred
william

Post by william »

Steve,
Have a look at the Gehmann GP1 which is a re-branded Match Guns MG1. Has everything you're looking for.

Neal Stepp (I.S.S.) sells them fro under $1100.

Good shooting.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Have a look at the Gehmann GP1 which is a re-branded Match Guns MG1. Has everything you're looking for

We just purchased three of these pistols for our club, and value for money they are unbeatable. But if money is not an obstacle, and you feel benefit in firing an air pistol that has no perceived recoil [as I do ] then it is hard to look beyond the LP10.