32S&W Pistols

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

steve_podleski

32S&W Pistols

Post by steve_podleski »

Can people who have experience with the various European 32 S&W target pistols please post their likes and dislikes?
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

If you are planning to use it for outdoor bullseye, you will need a barrel with a twist rate that will shoot at 50 yards. The factory guns generally group about 8 inches at that distance. You need to talk to Dave Wilson about that. He is about the only one I know that specializes in barrels for these guns. If you don't use a factory ammo that it really likes, or learn some special reloading skills you will be plagued with alabis. I have shot next to a couple of people using them on the line.and I shoot matches with some people who have them. They don't use them for bullseye because of these issues and because they find that it hurts their ability to do well in the 45 match. Probably psychological I know, but that is what I have been told.
hill987

32 pistols

Post by hill987 »

They are to flaky for 2700 outdoor pistol matches.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

.32 S+WL wadcutter cartridges are the worst choice possible to design a self loading pistol around.

Is a revolver an option?
william

Post by william »

.32 S+WL wadcutter cartridges are the worst choice possible to design a self loading pistol around.
James, I have a world of respect for your shooting knowledge & skills, but I beg to differ. There are some real benefits to building a pistol around the .32:
1. The size of the loaded wadcutter cartridge allows it to be built on a .22-size platform;
2. The very low pressure permits a blowback action.

As long as attention is paid to charge weight, cartridge overall length, smooth crimp and disposing of fired cases when they develop rough areas along the rim, there is no reason a .32 S&WL pistol can't be reliable. For several years I shot a Pardini with zero failures to feed or eject my own reloads.

50-yard accuracy, on the other hand.... The only unmodified .32s I've seen produce what could be called groups - not patterns - at 50 yards were a Hammerli 280, a Walther GSP Expert and a FAS 603. And all of them were using loads that struck me as extremely hot.
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

I had a Walther CSP-C for several years. I never shot it as well as my .45, which made it more trouble than it was worth. (I'm an NRA Expert-class competitor, and Distinguished in Pistol and Revolver, so it's not just me.)

Most folks who have success with them get aftermarket rapid twist barrels, i.e., 1 in 10 or 1 in 12 twist.
fc60

Shooting the 32 Wad Cutter

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

The 32 is a fun gun to shoot.

The good things...
  • The barrel is mounted rigid to the frame, no moving parts to accurize.
  • Mild recoil, as compared to a 38 or 45.
  • Economical to load for, average powder charge is 1.7 grains.
  • Most 32's are European which means custom grips and adjustable triggers.
  • Most 32 pistols are very reliable with regard to functionling.
The bad things...
  • Reloading requires a lot of diligence and equipment capable of metering very small powder charges.
  • The factory barrels are tuned for 25 meter shooting. Accuracy at 50 yards is not proportional.
  • Swaged HBWC bullets work the best; but, they must be sized to match the barrel groove diameter. There is no standard on this dimension. I have seen barrels range from 0.309" to 0.315". H&N make bullets in custom sizes.
  • The 32 does not like to be shot in a strong wind.
  • 32 brass will fly at least 5 competitors to your right. You need a brass catcher of some sort.
Which Pistol to buy???

I personally own a Haemmerli 280, Haemmerli SP-20, and Walther GSP-C. The 280 is a great iron sight pistol. The SP-20 comes drilled and tapped for a optical sight mount. The Walther has the best track record of reliability. Pardini's are very popular and available in the USA. There are several other pistols made in Europe and not exported to the USA.

Story from the past...

Darius "Doc" Young shot a 32 in both a Unique and ERMA 85A. I do not recall which pistol he was using; but, I believe he fired an 895 at the Paul Bunyon Club, in Puyallup, WA. Doc set the standard for shooting the 32 in NRA matches. Both pistols had custom barrels. Each was six inches long made from a Hart 0.308" ten twist rifle blank.

What to do next???

I suggest you ask to shoot as many 32 pistols that you can to obtain a good impression of what they feel like and how they shoot. A new pistol is close to $2000.00 USD and a purchase not to be taken lightly.

Cheers,

Dave Wilson
BorzoiDad

32 S&S Long

Post by BorzoiDad »

I have a Benneli 32 I have been using in Bullseye for about a year now. Bought it new. From a sandbag rest it groups under 3" at 50 yds (thats our range length). When I'm shooting well I can get it to group at about 5" at 50 yds. The gun has no problem staying in the 10 ring at 25 yds (I do though).

I like the gun as I also have a Benneli 22. So there is very little difference when I go from 22 to centerfire. It kicks just a little bit more than the 22. What it does do is throw brass a mile, so you should consider a brass catcher.

My biggest problem is finding ammo. Thats why I'm going to start reloading this year.
steve_podleski

Post by steve_podleski »

Great info from everybody. Thank you very much. Keep it coming! This info is for my optometrist who is a shooter. These European pistols are too rich for my blood but maybe someday...:-) Is Doc Darius still active in shooting? I live in west WA but shoot only rifle in Puyallup.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

.32 is generally a slightly harder cartridge to fine tune than say 38 special, and with an auto there is often a compromise between ultimate accuracy and reliability.

I have some experience with revolvers, S+W Model 16 and Toz 49, not sure if they are relevant to this discussion.
In my experience revolvers tend to be happier with flat based projectiles, maybe just the S+W though.

The only auto I had experience of was an early Pardini .32, which I couldn't get to function reliably.