Experience with RINK grip vs Morini

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jmpcmd@telus.net

Experience with RINK grip vs Morini

Post by jmpcmd@telus.net »

Morini 162EI RINK grip

Has anyone replaced a Morini grip with a Rink for above air pistol. If so, was it an improvement. For those with opinions on how to improve without purchasing needless equipment... I thank you for previous.
peterz

Post by peterz »

I replaced the original Morini grip on an LP-10 with a custom cast Rink grip, and the difference in grip stability was night into day.
Russ

Wonderful experience

Post by Russ »

@
Last edited by Russ on Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peterz

Post by peterz »

I barely shoot500; I'm new to this sport.

The progress was associated with score increase and comfort increase. The job of a top-line pistol and grip is to make it easier to shoot tens (the gun itself will make single hole groups all day long; the shooter may not be that good); the Rink grip corrected some orthopedic problems that the Morini grip emphasized. Thus, the pistol is more stable in my hand.
Mike M. (as guest)

Post by Mike M. (as guest) »

I've found that grips are like shoes...every maker has a slightly different basic design, and what fits one person may not fit another. You have to try them out. For example, I find that neither Morini nor Rink grips fit me without modification...but Nills fit as if they were fitted to my hand. Try out several grip sets.
David Levene

Re: Wonderful experience

Post by David Levene »

Russ wrote:In my humble opinion and my personal experience Morini standard grip will be just fine to score over 570 in AP.
You're probably right Russ; but that doesn't mean that a shooter wouldn't find it easier with a set of grips that fit him/her better. The big problem with badly fitting grips is that they often exaggerate inconsistencies in technique. Properly fitting grips are normally much more forgiving of those inconsistencies.

It's like saying that a FWB65 would be fine to score over 570 in AP. Of course it's possible, but most shooters would find it easier with a more modern pistol.

Use the best (most suitable for you) equipment you can afford. It won't make up for bad technique but it's unlikely to be detrimental to your score.

Back to the original question, for some people a Rink grip will be better than Morini; for others it will be the reverse. It is also not unheard of for 2 grips from the same manufacturer, allegedly the same size, to feel totally different.
peterz

Post by peterz »

I tried to make clear in my night/day post that mine was a custom Rink grip. I was near his shop on a vacation last October and took the time to have him fit me precisely. It made a difference because the angle on the grip wound up being 10 degrees, far beyond his 0 degree and 7 degree standard measurements. He also filled in a hollow volume in my hand, and that greatly reduced trigger pull variations from day to day.
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

I'll second David's comments about differences in grips, even from the same manufacturer. I have a pair of MG-2's, both with factory Matchguns right hand medium grips. The one grip required some filling at the heel of the hand, while the other grip is the only pistol grip I have never had to modify. I felt like a kid in a candy store when I started to shoot it and realized how well it fit, straight from the factory!
jmpcmd@telus.net

Post by jmpcmd@telus.net »

Thanks PeterZ

I will likely give one a try.
Leon

Post by Leon »

My experience has been the exact opposite - for my Toz 35, I went from the Rink grips to Morini - which, in my opinion, are far superior.

I also was unimpressed by the fact that Rink uses 2 different pieces of wood glued together to make a FP grip and, on my example, were a different colour and with different grain pattern. The whole thing looked odd.

The Morini grips I have on the Toz now are perfect - and fit like a glove. So do the Morinis on my LP10, Manurhins, K38 and Colt Python.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Things like that happen all the time. I've never seen a factory grip that put the front sight into the right spot for me, even if the fit itself to the hand was ok (which is rare enough). The biggest advantage Thomas Rink has is his CAD system - he can digitize any grip and copy it to other pistols. Some conversions obviously don't work because of the frames. But the Steyr grip I'm shooting is a Rink copy of my Cesare Morini MG2 grip, and about 95% the same - a ratio which would be hard to achieve by doing the grip manually. I agree that craftsmanship on the Nill and Morini grips is somewhat better than on the Rinks, but then Thomas does many grips the other two have never heard about and care even less.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Tycho wrote: The biggest advantage Thomas Rink has is his CAD system - he can digitize any grip and copy it to other pistols. Some conversions obviously don't work because of the frames. But the Steyr grip I'm shooting is a Rink copy of my Cesare Morini MG2 grip, and about 95% the same - a ratio which would be hard to achieve by doing the grip manually.
On my FWB P44 I have a Rink grip that I have filled and sanded so that it is a very good fit and the sights line up properly. Do I understand you to say that if I send this grip to Rink he can duplicate it on a grip for my CM84?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Fred Mannis wrote:Do I understand you to say that if I send this grip to Rink he can duplicate it on a grip for my CM84?
http://www.formgriffe.de/shpSR.php?c=e&p1=357&p2=364
FredM as guest

Post by FredM as guest »

David Levene wrote:
Fred Mannis wrote:Do I understand you to say that if I send this grip to Rink he can duplicate it on a grip for my CM84?
http://www.formgriffe.de/shpSR.php?c=e&p1=357&p2=364
Thanks David. I haven't been on his web site for some time.

Fred
lastman

Post by lastman »

My only experience is on my free pistol but I'm sure the comments are still valid.

I have found the Rink to be an excellent grip and has far more adjustments than the Morini.

That being said the Morini naturally fitted my hand better than the Rink which took considerable adjustment before it felt natural. Also the internal part of the Rink had not been fitted properly to my pistol and also required adjustment.

That being said now that I have done the necessary work with the Rink I wouldn't switch back to the Morini any time soon.
maltom

Post by maltom »

I asked a coach about his opinion on grips, i.e. Rink vs Morini.

He answered:

It is not the grip that shoots. It is the mind that shoots :)
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Useless answer, trying to sound like some Zen-Master...
peterz

Post by peterz »

Indeed. It is the person who shoots, and shooting with a grip that fits correctly makes a huge difference. I don't doubt that there are some people (perhaps on this list!) who could use a cut-off broom handle and still have a perfectly steady hold. As for me, I need all the help I can get to steady my aging fingers.
Antoni Scott

replacing Morini grips

Post by Antoni Scott »

Personally, I wouln't bother replacing the Morini Grips, They are about as good as you can get. I am sure that if Steyr thought Rink was better they would be using them on their LP10.

Morini 162EI RINK grip

Has anyone replaced a Morini grip with a Rink for above air pistol. If so, was it an improvement. For those with opinions on how to improve without purchasing needless equipment... I thank you for previous.
David Levene

Re: replacing Morini grips

Post by David Levene »

Antoni Scott wrote:Personally, I wouln't bother replacing the Morini Grips, They are about as good as you can get.
They are about as good as you can get, IF they fit you.

If they don't fit you then they are the same as any other grip that doesn't fit you to the same extent.

Having the name Morini on them means nothing, just as having the name Rink or Ciro means nothing. It's how well they do their job that matters.