Merit aperture

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Packard

Merit aperture

Post by Packard »

I ordered a Merit aperture. I was thinking that it would be easier to use this if I have a dedicated pair of prescription glasses that I could leave the aperture on rather than having it removeable. I can get my prescrition done on-line (lens and frame) for under $40.00 (for aviator style) or for under $20.00 for company "specials", so the cost is not a real factor.

What do you guys think?
justadude

Post by justadude »

Packard,

What discipline are you in... rifle/pistol both?

While the prices you mention are very good, shooting eyeware that you have to fight with is no bargain.

While the "in" price is steep a set of dedicated adjustable shooting frames is the way to go if you are serious. If you want an aperature, I know that Knobloch makes an adjustable aperature that clips right onto the lens holder. I expect the other shooting eyeware manufacturers have similar products.

If you need to talk to someone in real time to sort some of the options out try Neal Stepp at International Shooters Service (817) 595-2090. He is a wealth of knowledge and has done a bunch to help me get my own eyeware issues sorted out.

Good Luck
'Dude

Post by Guest »

I'm shooting pistol. I've already gotten in deeper (financially) than I anticipated and more things keep cropping up. If I really enjoy this I'm certain I will invest more heavily. But this may turn out to be another one of my fads that I quickly grow weary of.

Right now, I think I'll just go with the Merit aperture and use my driving glasses.
Finprof

Merit aperature

Post by Finprof »

I use a Merit aperature for shooting pistol, but detach the aperature for cleaning my glasses. I am not sure I would want the aperature permanently applied and don't know how I would do it, unless the suction cup was crazy-glued to the lens.
gn303

Merit aparture

Post by gn303 »

Special shooting gear usually is expensive. However, very often what looks like a bargain will in the end be more expensive.
MEC, Champion, Knobloch offer all excellent frames and are expensive. Cheaper though is Varga, which offer quality at a fair prize. You can get a complete set for 82 EUROS that’s half the prize of Champion etc. Pilkguns has them in their catalog. (http://www.pilkguns.com/masprlist.htm)
You will need a lens that has a different correction then what you are using for your regular glasses. Make sure that the focus is somewhere around the front sight. I’m sure Pilkguns will assist you with this as well.
Good luck.
Guy
Rover

Post by Rover »

While I have an iris on my shooting glasses, I consider this to be far less important than having the right prescription FOR SHOOTING.

You will need your regular scrip plus an additional +.25 to +.50 diopters (or the right amount to pull the focus of your eye to the front sight).

Many people think that the iris is used to increase the amount of "sharpness" for the sight and the bull (depth of field). While it will do this, it is not the reason to use the iris, which is to maintain a uniform "pupil" under varying conditions.

Do a search on this site and you'll find a fair amount of discussion on the subject of glasses, etc.
Finprof

Post by Finprof »

Rover makes a good point about the right prescription for shooting.
Tell your optometrist that you want a prescription for computer use at 30 to 36 inches from your eye. It will usually add a half diopter to your distance prescription but you might differ.
I get double duty from my shooting glasses because I also use them for reading music in a music stand.

There are some specialized shooting opticians like Rively who can move the optical center of the lens for a particular sport - e.g. to the left for rifle or shotgun.
Packard

Post by Packard »

I follow the idea of the correct prescription to read the front sight (my regular prescription for reading is too strong for my computer work--so I know exactly what you are saying).

My college degree (BS, Photography) is in photography and I understand the concept of an aperture.

The correct point of focus is important. The smaller the iris, however, the greater the depth of field. That is, with the smaller aperture you will see different planes at greater sharpness. There is a point of diminishing returns, however. With a very small apertures you can get diffraction from the edges of the aperture which will diminish sharpness, and you can reduce the light levels to a point where it becomes more difficult to see.

Also note that your iris on your eyes are apertures too, and in very bright light (mid-day sun) they may close down to a point where there will be no net gain in depth of field due to the external aperture.

I have some older reading glasses that are not as strong as my current ones and I will check to see what the point of focus is with them. One of them might do well as is.
Packard

Post by Packard »

We used to have these thin sheets of removable film with a hole cut in it. You placed it on your glasses when shooting, and peeled it off when you were done.

Does anyone still make this stuff?
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

I buy an extra lens for my glasses that has the diopter script built in for my dominant eye. My little trick is to bring in an aimpoint mounted on a pistol. I hold it out at armslength, away from the doc of course. The hourglass rayed red dot can be cleaned up with the doc adding diopters to your perscription until the dot actually looks round. A check of your iron sights with the diopter in place will show you exactly how the front sight has been cleaned up. Hope this helps.
Chris
Fatman

Shooting Glasses

Post by Fatman »

Hi Packard:

Don't laugh, but I have had excellent results using cheap reading glasses from, of all places, the Dollar Store. Tried three different strengths in the store at the measured distance to my front sight. Bought all three for 3 bucks and change and use the one that gives the best result. Donated the other two to a charity that provides glasses to third world countries.

Get the Avaiator style as the lenses are large enough and high enough for use with sights.

You can add a cheap iris by cutting out a disk of electrical tape and punching a hole in the center with a turret punch. Try different size holes to suite. The patches can be placed anywhere on the lense to suit you shooting style/needs. At the price you can have two or three different pairs with different size iris's for different light conditions.

It's a cheap way to find out what works best and you can upgrade later.
I am still using the original pair after 4 years and they work just fine.

Hope this helps.

Fatman
38HBWC

Merit device

Post by 38HBWC »

The Merit device is fine for me. Just keep an eye on it for occasional loss or slippage. My indoor 25 yard range is poorly lit here in Burnsville, MN. So, the only complaint I would have is in relation to the light restriction caused by "stopping it down" for sharpness. I am impressed with the options out there such as Knobloch, et al. but have never used them.
Fred Mannis

Iris Use

Post by Fred Mannis »

Packard, you do not want to use an iris to bring both front sight and target into focus. With a proper lens the front sight will be sharp and clear and the target will be blurred. Your physical and mental focus should be on the front sight and its alignment in the rear notch. An in focus bull is a distraction.