What weight pellet do you prefer for your 10m match rifle?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

EzyE

What weight pellet do you prefer for your 10m match rifle?

Post by EzyE »

I've seen a number of posts on rifles that prefer different pellet diameters (4.49, 4.50, etc.) but was wondering if the weight was as important a factor at 10m. I've been using 7.0s and 8.2s and haven't been able to see an appreciable difference in group size. That's probably due more to my poor shooting than the pellets themselves so I thought I'd ask what others have discovered. Thanks.
robf

Post by robf »

has no impact really. The pellet may fly faster with a heavier weight, but that's it, and really you're just looking for the best consistent group. If they're not going through the same hole, change pellet and see if it improves.
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

I asked this very question to the Walther service guys when they were over in the UK for Bisley week.

They said the slightly heavier pellets [0.53 g] are favoured for air rifle because they are thought to be more stable in flight at the higher air rifle velocities. As in most things, try out whatever suits your gun and if a particular pellet gives you good scores, stick with it.

JSB
robf

Post by robf »

hmm... albeit they're domed, i'm using .5g pellets at well over 10m velocities without any drop in accuracy... they're flying well at 805 fps, and groups at 50m have been in single mm figures ctc.

and anyway, a lighter or heavier pellet might fly the same speed as another of different weight... and the variation anyway will be tiny.