Glass bedding method

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

tsokasn

Glass bedding method

Post by tsokasn »

Now,I've been educating my self with some ISSF videos in the tube and I accidentally saw that video...
It was a 1913 glass bedding video.
And then some questions were born!!!
Do everyone,who buy an aftermarket stock,glass bed the barrel action in it?
Does it really offers advantages?
Is this method only applyed on .22 or in any other calibers,espesially in .308?
Enlight me please!

Post by Guest »

The purpose of bedding is to ensure that the action fits perfectly in the stock to minimise tension on the action and so recoil is as consistent as possible. Normally an epoxy resin strengthened with powdered aluminium is used rather than fibreglass (although it's still called glass bedding).

It's usually only done with wooden stocks, I've not seen an aluminium stock that has been bedded. A .22 target rifle should not need epoxy bedding to shoot well; however epoxy bedding can prevent the stock swelling in hot or damp weather, this could change the fit of the action and so the recoil and barrel vibration. In Britain it's much more common for bigbore rifles to be bedded due to the much greater recoil.

Tim S
Taunton UK
Guest66

Post by Guest66 »

At ignition, the action want to "twist" a little from the force.
I recommend bedding for all rifles, from .22 and over, IF you are using a wooden stock, and IF your action is round and held by 2 (or 3) action bolts.

If you have a square action, such as the Anschutz 2007/2013 with 4 actions bolts, the action cannot twist in the same way. Also, a square action with flat bed, is very hard to bed.