Hon

Adding Weights to AR (ISSF rules)

Post by Hon »

According to ISSF Rulebook
7.4.2.3 Exterior Weights
7.4.2.3.1 Only barrel weights within a radius of 30 mm from the center of the
barrel are permitted. Barrel weights may be moved along the
barrel.
7.4.2.3.2 Any other weights must be within the dimensions of the stock.

My AR is the woodstock version, and I use stick-on lead weights that designed for balancing car wheels.

Refering my photo above, you can see the lead weight between the MEC butt plate and the woodstock. So according to ISSF rules, I cannot stack the weight too high so that it protrudes outside the stock surface. It has to be flush with the surface of the stock. Am I right? Also I cannot stick any of those weight directly onto the woodstock surface as it will be "OUTSIDE" the dimension of the stock. Right?
What about the MEC Butt Plate? Can I stick any weight on the butt plate frame or the wings?
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Others I know have the weights stuck under the cheekpiece and have passed EQ. Why not try that and see if it helps. Don't forget though, go too far and the gun is illegally heavy (same guy did just that and then had to remove some).

Rob.
methosb

Post by methosb »

Look at some of the shooters in the World Cup Finals. They have weights stuck all over their rifles especially under the cheek piece between it and the stock and all around the butt plate. I think the rule is usually interpreted as you just can't have weights jutting out away from the stock, especially if their presence could somehow be used as a support.
Anschutz

Post by Anschutz »

not so much as a support, but as a counter balance, as you see on the smallbore free rifle events. Colin
robf

Post by robf »

this is something i've raised with an ISSF A Judge... awaiting an answer... there were a few other curve balls I chucked in as well.

The thinking is that weights must be within the allowed dimensions for a stock, not within the existing stock's dimensions... but what defines a stock?

It's not a clear ruling in my thinking, and as per others, seems to be open for contradiction with others if you become pedantic.

For some real fun check out the ruling about no anatomically shaped pistol grips and then tell me how a grip made just for a left or right handed shooter doesn't have some anatomical aspect, before you even delve into the range of 10m guns which clearly have some shaping to them for the hand, and even go as far as to be supplied in different sizes...
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

At equipment control check in for ISSF air rifle matches, the rifle will be layed down over an out line of the rifle printed on a large sheet. The out line is the ISSF outer limits for rifle dimension. If any part of the rifle goes out side that out line, it is illegal. Thus, any extra weights attached to the rifle must not exceed past and out side the out line on the sheet.

So when attaching extra weights such as wheel balance weights just ensure they are not protruding out side the rifle's external dimensions.
Lastly, ensure after adding extra weight that the rifle [air rifle] does not exceed the ISSF limit of 5.5 Kg.
JSB
ishoottrap

What length forearm is allowed?

Post by ishoottrap »

If a weight is affixed to the accessory rail on the bottom of the forearm, not extending below the regulated 90mm depth, can it extend forward to the full regulated length of the rifle?
RobStubbs

Re: What length forearm is allowed?

Post by RobStubbs »

ishoottrap wrote:If a weight is affixed to the accessory rail on the bottom of the forearm, not extending below the regulated 90mm depth, can it extend forward to the full regulated length of the rifle?
I'm guessing that may fall foul of the above mentioned ruling i.e.

"7.4.2.3.1 Only barrel weights within a radius of 30 mm from the center of the barrel are permitted. Barrel weights may be moved along the
barrel. "

Again, open to interpretation.

Rob.