A few SCATT questions

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Nick_Burman

A few SCATT questions

Post by Nick_Burman »

Hi all,

Guess these questions were asked before but since I'm short of time to trawl into the past posts, here they go again...

I bought a second-hand SCATT end of last year, have been training with it for the past few months with very good effects on live shooting. However, I noticed that there is a HUGE disparity between my SCATT scores (not that I pay attention to them, but...) and my live training score. I've hit the lower 560's in a recent live training session however my best SCATT score has been 520. Is this normal?

Also, I would like to know what exactly do the various shot parameter commands do, especially the F-coefficient. A friend of mine told that it exaggerated one's errors - I see this happening, but is it true? Also, what would be the best parameter settings, both for training as close as possible to live firing and also to enhance difficulty?

Cheers Nicholas
RobStubbs

Re: A few SCATT questions

Post by RobStubbs »

Nick_Burman wrote:Hi all,

Guess these questions were asked before but since I'm short of time to trawl into the past posts, here they go again...

I bought a second-hand SCATT end of last year, have been training with it for the past few months with very good effects on live shooting. However, I noticed that there is a HUGE disparity between my SCATT scores (not that I pay attention to them, but...) and my live training score. I've hit the lower 560's in a recent live training session however my best SCATT score has been 520. Is this normal?

Also, I would like to know what exactly do the various shot parameter commands do, especially the F-coefficient. A friend of mine told that it exaggerated one's errors - I see this happening, but is it true? Also, what would be the best parameter settings, both for training as close as possible to live firing and also to enhance difficulty?

Cheers Nicholas
A gap is to be expected but 40 points sounds way too big a difference. What discipline are you shooting, at what distance and what is your F-coefficient set to ?

Rob.
Nick_Burman

Post by Nick_Burman »

Rob, I shoot Air Rifle. The F-coefficient is set at 55, which I believe is the default value - at least that was the value which came in the software when I took over the notebook which was given almost free with my SCATT.

Forgot to mention that this 560-odd value is a peak, not an average. In training I shoot around 550.

Cheers NB
Last edited by Nick_Burman on Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hon

Post by Hon »

My Scatt value is usually within 10 points from my actual score for a 60-shot round.

During the sighting shots, I usually have to bring the scatt shot position to the actual shot position a few times to calibrate the scatt value.
robf

Post by robf »

Nick_Burman wrote:Rob, I shoot Air Rifle. The F-coefficient is set at 55, which I believe is the default value - at least that was the value which came in the software when I took over the notebook which was given almost free with my SCATT.

Forgot to m ention that this 560-odd value is a peak, not an average. In training I shoot around 550.

Cheers NB
The F coefficient will alter how much the Scatt interprets movement and applies it to the shot... you may want to reduce it somewhat and see what the effects are. If you have it too high it will exaggerate movement, if you have it two low it will be firing like a laser.
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

Hey Nick,what's up!!!
I guess we are walking on the same path(I also bought a second hand Scatt a month ago!)
I experience the same thing,but...
-the distance I practise in home(only in home)is 4.5m.
-I haven't create yet the best light conditions on the target frame
-I leave the F-coefficient at 55.

I don't know if the distance has something to do with this difference(this is what i suspect most),although my big problem that Scatt revealed is trigger pulling...
My live-Scatt disparity is about 20 points.
Flashmo

Post by Flashmo »

I have found that lighting changes on the target frame will affect the shot results.

I changed from a halogen work light shining directly on the target face to an incandescent task light hitting the target face at a 45 degree angle.

It does make a difference.
Nick_Burman

Post by Nick_Burman »

tsokasn wrote:Hey Nick,what's up!!!
I guess we are walking on the same path(I also bought a second hand Scatt a month ago!)
I experience the same thing,but...
-the distance I practise in home(only in home)is 4.5m.
-I haven't create yet the best light conditions on the target frame
-I leave the F-coefficient at 55.

I don't know if the distance has something to do with this difference(this is what i suspect most),although my big problem that Scatt revealed is trigger pulling...
My live-Scatt disparity is about 20 points.
In my case I use a room and a corridor in the back of the club I belong to (can't use the range itself because of firearm noise issues). I stand in the room while the target is set up in the corridor. I have 10 meters available (more even - I could even shoot prone rifle if I wanted!). Lighting is less than ideal, an incandescent lamp on the roof + natural lighting (coming in from doors leading to a couple of bathrooms and through the room windows). Tried shutting the curtains...don't know if it was me, but the results went from bad to worse.

Touch hands mate, I (and I believe 99.99% of shooters) have the same problem. However if you use SCATT correctly you'll soon see some results from your efforts.

Cheers NB
Nick_Burman

Post by Nick_Burman »

robf wrote:
Nick_Burman wrote:Rob, I shoot Air Rifle. The F-coefficient is set at 55, which I believe is the default value - at least that was the value which came in the software when I took over the notebook which was given almost free with my SCATT.

Forgot to m ention that this 560-odd value is a peak, not an average. In training I shoot around 550.

Cheers NB
The F coefficient will alter how much the Scatt interprets movement and applies it to the shot... you may want to reduce it somewhat and see what the effects are. If you have it too high it will exaggerate movement, if you have it two low it will be firing like a laser.
Robf, if I shoot a string with F set at 55 and after the string I turn the coefficient value down to zero, my groupings have a general tendency to tighten. It can add up to 10 points in the result (again, I don't pay much attention to score).

The more I look at this post, the more I believe it is lighting. Coming to think about it now, when I set up SCATT at home to compensate for my club's end-of-year monthly closure I shot (after I got used to my new surroundings) scores close to the bottom edge of my present average. And I have much better lighting at home. However I can't cart my SCATT and gear much around as I don't have a car and depend on (expensive) taxis or public transportation. So both gear bag (but not rifle) and SCATT stay at the club.

Cheers NB
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Lighting deffinately matters a lot. I always use halogen spot lights fairly close to the targets but then I mostly (but not exclusively) use my scatt 'in the range'. I will also have a look back through my coaching notes to see what it recommended in terms of the F-coefficient for AR at 10M.

Rob.
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

I use an halogen spot light,mounted on the frame's tripod,at the bottom side of the frame,fairly close to the target(I would say 15cm)
I also use an incandescent lamp,lighting the target from my living room's ceiling at 1.5m distance.
In yesterday's practice,I realised that I must pull back the halogen spot from the target(to bright)

Rob,what do you mean by use your scatt 'in the range'?
Thank you!