FWB 700 rear sight problems

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

jop43

FWB 700 rear sight problems

Post by jop43 »

I just purchased a FWB 700 last November and I have been having issues with the rear sight not adjusting properly at times. It works most of the time but it still will throw very inconsistent groups off of a bench. Any idea on a good replacement or fix?
Anschutz

Post by Anschutz »

Not sure how the sight would be the problem of inconsistent groups.Have you clamped the rifle in a vise and tested it for grouping. Colin
jop43

Post by jop43 »

Sorry, let me elaborate. I have shot it out of a vise. it shoots five shot groups perfectly. The problem is that after being centered on the ten ring, after about 20-30 shots it will suddenly shift its point of impact out to about 3 o'clock in the eight ring. I cannot think of any other explanation other than the sight screws might be slipping. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Tony C.

Post by Tony C. »

Be sure everythings, front and rear sight, rifle itself are secure tight.

If your group shift while the rifle is clamp in a vise, can't see how the sight can be a problem, better yet, test your rifle with it clamp in a vise and don't use the sight, like you are batch testing pellets.

With the rifle clamped in a vise and your group still wander, you got a big problem, my guess is your vise/rifle is moving while you test shooting.

BTW, what kind of vise and pellets are you using?
jop43

Post by jop43 »

I am using RWS Meisterkugeln pellets in a vise made by Lyman. I'm not sure what the model is as it is club provided.

I tested several different pellets and the Meisterkugeln grouped the best. As for the whether or not the rifle was secure, I double checked the clamp to make sure it was tight before each test. Not sure whether or not it may have shifted on the bench, but I doubt it.
laxratnd

hey

Post by laxratnd »

I shoot a FWB 700, and i have never had this problem. I would go get some Vogel match pellets or some RWS R-10 match pellets, those will give you the best consistency from pellet to pellet. I personally shoot vogels as they shoot the best in my 700 and i like the quality of them. I do not see how the sight would cause those groups to move like that. I would just make sure the sights are tight before you start to shoot. If they are set in the begging and then start to wonder after some shots i would have to say it could be you as you change your position. Also whens the last time you cleaned your 700. What year FWB 700 is it. I have an a ton of shots through mine and never have had any problems.
B&S

Post by B&S »

If you are going to get some Vogals. I would suggest the 4.49 size. That is what shot the best of all the pellets I tried in the 700 we have. As to the site it is pretty bullet proof. It has a piece of spring steel attached to the eye piece and is always under tension on the adjusting screw the repeatability is real good. there is a ball bearing in there some where but unless it has been damaged I can't imagine that it is the problem.
peterz

Post by peterz »

Have you verified that the stock screws are all tight? This happened to me once, and it was 30 seconds to fix it, once I read the instructions (FWB 62).