Pistol grip question

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Pistol grip question

Post by Guest »

i was wondering if it is allowed under usa shooting and issf if i were to paint my grips and put some sand on the areas my hand go and than paint over it several times just so it is a rough finish.
RobStubbs

Re: Pistol grip question

Post by RobStubbs »

Anonymous wrote:i was wondering if it is allowed under usa shooting and issf if i were to paint my grips and put some sand on the areas my hand go and than paint over it several times just so it is a rough finish.
You'd need to read both sets of rules to check. I 'thought' under ISSF that was OK but putting a temporary sticky (i.e. wet) substance on was not, but I must add that I haven't thoroughly read the rules with this regard.

Rob.
Barney

Post by Barney »

I stuck a load of wood chips and saw dust to my pistol grip on a 2002 air rifle with 5min appoxy glue then sprayed a couple of coats of paint over it.

Works a treat and haven't had any problems with equipment control.

As the previous poster said, as long as its not sticky or wet in anyway its fine.

The wood chips act in the same was as checkering/stiplling and the paint just helps it stick and blend in with the colour of the grip
Hon

Post by Hon »

According to ISSF rule book:
7.4.2.2.1 Material that gives increased grip may not be added to the forend, pistol grip or the lower part of the stock.
Barney

Post by Barney »

Here is a picture of Katrina Emmonds.
Its clearly shows car body filler to mould the pistol grip better to obviously help increase the contact area thus improve the grip.
No real difference to the wood chips as "material to increase grip" has been add, except hers is anatomically formed as well, which is also suppose to be ilegal ??
Attachments
Pic 1.jpg
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Hon wrote:According to ISSF rule book:
7.4.2.2.1 Material that gives increased grip may not be added to the forend, pistol grip or the lower part of the stock.
That only applies to 300M standard rifle and 10M air rifle - so you need to check the rules specifically to what discipline you are shooting. For those the pistol grip is also not allowed to be 'annatomically formed' - whatever that truly means.

I'm guessing the picture above could represent a palm shelf rather than anything annatomical - it's obviously been through many sets of equipment control.

Rob.
Barney

Post by Barney »

Your not alowed to use a palm shelf on your air rifle pistol grip to rest your trigger hand on either
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Barney wrote:Your not alowed to use a palm shelf on your air rifle pistol grip to rest your trigger hand on either
Yes, you're correct. In which case I'm not sure what the putty is there for - but as stated it's been passed many times, and they can look at in detail as opposed to us looking at a flat photo.

Rob.
Barney

Post by Barney »

True, you have a point.
Mabye the putty area is smooth so it doesnt give the rough textured feel which would constitute adding a rough surface to it.
But as you stated, unless were are there when it goe's through equipment control we will never know what there looking for.
Mabye another option for our guest is to use one of those new trigger hand gloves which seem quite popular now?

Barney
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

If you're worried about adding material to give you a rougher grip then you could always roughen up the surface you've already got.

Very few people will have access to a proper stippling tool but a small drill bit or grinding point mounted in a Dremel, coupled with a bit of time and patience, can give extremely good results.
Hon

Post by Hon »

frog5215

Post by frog5215 »

Typically stupid and arbitrary.
Checkering/ stippling certainly isn't "added MATERIAL"; sand, skateboard tape, etc are no different in function, but are verboten.