Building position

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

pinda

Building position

Post by pinda »

I am new to 50m prone. I know each person is different but what tips would you give to someone now learning the art of building a good position for prone. I have found when I am most comfortable that I take the best shots.
2650 Plus

Prone Position

Post by 2650 Plus »

The best advice I can provide is to buy a copy of " Ways of the Rifle, 2009 . The discussions on the three positions contain the current best practices complete with fotos and drawings of the best positions and paragraphs dealing with concepts that support the illustrations. You can't go wrong following the positition guidance contained in this modern encyclopedia of our sport Good Shooting Bill Horton
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I would advise you get someone to look at your position - and photograph you - to see how it looks. Yes comfortable is important but you can be comfortable in many positions and also prone can have some elements that appear less comfortable to start with but lead to a more stable position. There are ideal technical positions but they have to be tailored to suit individuals plus it's impossible to see what your position looks like when you're in position.

Rob.
BartP

Agree with Horton

Post by BartP »

Pinda,

Mr. Horton's suggestion of using "Ways of the Rifle" is, in my book at least, the first step in building a solid prone position. There are definitely some tricks and preferences that we, as veterans, can offer, but they are best added AFTER you do the ground work.

Prone is the steadiest position. To shoot well doesn't take long. To shoot great takes time. Good advice would include a mental training program as your position develops and your scores improve. You may one day get to shoot consistent 590s+ but without your mental game riding in the sidecar, the odds of shooting higher than that (on a consistent basis) are slim. And to shoot a 597+, it is essential.

If you start a good regimen of positive self-talk that supports your progress through your development as a shooter, you will achieve your goals exponentially faster.

BParnall
AnthonyT

Post by AnthonyT »

I second the suggestion to get someone to photograph, or even video you while shooting. Be sure they get shots from different angles. Really does help you to pinpoint where the weak spots are.