Getting back into air rifle, advice needed

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

AnthonyT

Getting back into air rifle, advice needed

Post by AnthonyT »

Hello all. I have been out of competitive shooting for about 17 years and have started to think seriously about getting back into it. Air rifle was always my favorite event, although I did shoot 3 position also. Back when I was shooting all of the guns were side cockers, had a standard looking stock, and Anschutz and FWB were the big players. My how things have changed!

What would a good air rifle be that will keep me competitive and not break the bank. I know the old FWBs and Anschutz guns can shoot, but how much do you give up having to cock them every shot. I know I could start to feel it at the end of a 60 shot match.

I am a lefty, and when I hung it up all those years ago I was shooting in the high 370s on a 40 shot course. My main goal is to have fun, be competitive in any local matches I can make and at the state games.
Thank, Anthony
Misny

Post by Misny »

Anthony,

I am a novice at precision air rifle. I am in my second season and am only a NRA Sharpshooter. My personal best is 530. I shoot a FWB 601. Personally, at this level, I don't feel like the rifle is holding me back, since I am slowly progressing. Whether or not you feel tired after a match is pretty much up to your fitness level. If you are a couch potato and don't plan on working out, then you might want to consider a pre-compressed air rifle or CO2. Some of the better shots at our local matches shoot the top named pre-compressed air rifles, like the FWB 700. Some of the lesser accomplished shooters shoot them as well. To be the match winner at one of our local matches usually requires a score of 560-570, and typically is won by a junior shooter with a top rated rifle, jacket, pants, boots, etc.

You may live not too far from us and would be welcome to shoot at our matches. We shoot at Georgetown, Indiana. Our season runs from October through March, inclusive.
Last edited by Misny on Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnthonyT

Post by AnthonyT »

All of the shooting I did in the past was when I was a junior using whatever gun the club had available. They were older Anschutz models if I remember correctly. I did OK with them - shot around 360 with them (40 shot course). When I went to Murray I was shooting a newer, but still old, model Anschutz and was still in the 360 range. The only FWBs I had ever shot were on demo at Camp Perry. I liked the way they felt and shot but could not afford one at the time. When at a match in college one of our shooters withdrew from the air rifle event due to having a very off day. I was the alternate, but had not brought an air rifle as I was told not to worry about bringing it! So I ended up shooting his FWB 301 that I had never shot before and shot a personal best 378. So mentally I tend to lean towards an FWB, and one with an actual stock. Just like the way they feel better.

Your club is basically right across the river from KY correct?? If so I would definately be interested in coming to your matches. So little air rifle here in the Bluegrass.
Misny

Post by Misny »

Yes, our club is just across the Ohio River from Louisville, off I-64. You can check out our website at: www.southernindianarifleandpistolclub.com I incorrectly stated that our air gun matches run through April, when in fact our last match of the season is in March. It does seem like Anshutz and FWB are still the most popular air rifles. A good used FWB 601, "side cocker" will probably run around $700-$900. A used, pre-compressed Anshutz or FWB will run you$1,300-$1,800. You will also need a scuba tank and/or a hand pump for the PCP gun. A jacket and spotting scope are very helpful.
AnthonyT

Post by AnthonyT »

OK, your club is where I was thinking it is at. About 3 hours from me, not too bad of a drive. If I can find a gun I will definately come to some matches. I still have my coat from college (I can't believe it still fits!) and a scope. I really need to shoot a CA gun to see how much different it is from a side cocker.

Post by Guest »

Don't overlook the CO2 guns. they may be last generation's technology, but still shoot well, and can be found at good prices. Some people will also sell you the CO2 tank to go with.
S Schwegmann

Post by S Schwegmann »

how far is your club from Cincinnati Ohio
AnthonyT

Post by AnthonyT »

I am keeping my options open at this point. Being a lefty makes it kind of difficult to find used gear sometimes. And with the cost difference between a new gun and a good used gun not being as large as I thought it would be I my go with a new gun. I prefer a wood stock, purely from the point that is what I am use to shooting. I like the idea of a compressed gas gun as it is easier to charge, but would not rule out a nice used side cocker. Shot one before and it did not seem to hinder me, but I do see the advantage to a compressed gas gun.
flea

also a lefty

Post by flea »

Alot of the new guns are coming out abidextrious.I ended picking up a little CGM for only $550. Its CO2 but it will out shoot me easy. If you keep your eye out and see if they are ambi, you should be just fine.
Attachments
attachments_2010_02_18.zip
(477.72 KiB) Downloaded 237 times
AnthonyT

Post by AnthonyT »

I am hoping to find something used, and am starting to lean towards a CA or a CO2 gun. Just like the fact that the cocking effort is so much less.

On the new guns, does anyone have any experience with the Walther LG30 or the FWB 700 Basic or FWB 500?? Another gun I like the looks of is the Walther LG300XT ambidextrous with a beech stock.

I like the FWBs I have shot, have never fired a Walther. The FWB does seem to be quite a bit more expensive. Is there really that much difference in the performance of these guns? Reading through the spec sheets they all seem to be very similar. Are these guns capable of shooting world class scores (not that I am at the moment, but I can always hope)?