USA 50 Targets - Scoring Gauge(s)

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

jmkwyo

USA 50 Targets - Scoring Gauge(s)

Post by jmkwyo »

I have been told many different things by different people. It is now my understanding that when plugging USA 50 targets you must use 2 plugs (outer and inner). Unfortunately we have been using just the inner for quite a while now. Anyways, know that I know that I should use both plugs I cannot find a USA 50 outer scoring plug. Champions Choice and Shooters do not sell a USA 50 plug, they only sell a '.22 caliber' plug and they say that should work??!!?? Ultimately I was told I need a outer plug that measures 8.983mm. Any thoughts?
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

Earnest Shooting Products 570-797-4872 has the outer gauge

The NRA and USAS rules state that you MUST use an outer gauge for scoring 10's through 6's.
jmkwyo

Post by jmkwyo »

Thanks, just called him.
jmkwyo

Post by jmkwyo »

Alright I have called Mr. Earnest several times and left several messages... Anyone know of someone else who might mill outer USA 50 plugs?

Thanks,
-Jason
Bill Morgan

USA-50 Scoring Gauges

Post by Bill Morgan »

Jason
You can score the USA-50 using either gauge (to a point). The outer gauge will not be usable outside the 4 ring. The inner gauge will be required for these rings.Otherwise, either gauge is approved for scoring. USAS has an addendum to their rules addressing the scoring of this target. NRA published changes for the smallbore rules that didn't include all the procedures for scoring this target. HQ Moody at NRA has said the new rules should be published by the end of this week. They should detail everything you need to know about scoring. I personally prefer the outward gauge for those shots 6 and above, because you aren't looking at a disturbed shot hole. Especially with a 10, where the whole dot must be obliterated or covered by the inner plug, the outward plug is easier for me to use against the scoring ring.
jmkwyo

Post by jmkwyo »

I would tend to agree... but I only have the inner plug :)

swamped?

Post by Guest »

jmkwyo wrote:Alright I have called Mr. Earnest several times and left several messages... Anyone know of someone else who might mill outer USA 50 plugs?

Thanks,
-Jason
He's probably REALLY BUSY trying to turn out all those plugs we need :^) This would be a good chance for those people with a lathe in their garage or basement. Wish I would have had the moxie to buy a little UniMat way back when ...
jmkwyo

Post by jmkwyo »

FYI he was out of town, and now is calling people back... $10 for a plug...
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

That's a great deal ... I think I paid $20-25 for my plugs from NJ's a few years ago