Power Ball training

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
joker

Power Ball training

Post by joker »

Has anyone here experienced a benefit from the use of a Power Ball gyroscope trainer for the shooting arm/wrist? If so, how long did it take for benefits to become apparent and what was the regime used for training? Thanks for any input for or against it.

IanR
paulo

Post by paulo »

Yes. Whish I used it more regularly.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I have a reminder on my calendar at work to use mine very lunch hour. I'm frequently busy enough that I end up skipping it.

I get it going as fast as I can, and then hold it out at arms length like I'm shooting, and try to keep it rev'd up. The muscles in my arm will start complaining fairly quickly. It really gives a good workout in a short amount of time. It's probably better to run it longer at a slower speed.
Oz

Post by Oz »

It'll definitely work the muscles. Only you can determine the balance your body needs and recovery times to see the benefits however. It might be weeks before the muscle breakdown/recovery cycle manifests itself as a benefit.

Also, if you're competitive, you'll be tempted to beat your buddies on the fastest RPM's possible. That's how I pulled a muscle in my arm/back. It actually set me back from shooting for a couple weeks :-p

Oz
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

1 if it hurts, STOP!
2 whatever you do with one hand, repeat with the other
3 yes! they work: particularly for the wrist strength, less so for arm strength. The wrist improvement is worth the effort and if used daily you can expect to see an improvement in your 'hold' within a couple of weeks
4 do not 'overdo' the exercises
5 if it hurts, STOP!

I'm with Paulo on this; wish I used mine more regularly
joker

Post by joker »

Thanks to all for the very positive advice - looks like I did not waste my money. I'll build its use into my day and report back in a couple of months. I am RH and my LH struggles to keep it going - practice practice with both hands as I don't want to become lop-sided ;0)

IanR
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

I got benefit from the Powerball, although I bought it mostly out of mechanical curiosity.

Then a tree I was dismantling fought back and my right thumb was forced back HARD. So then, I couldn't grip the Powerball. Could shoot, though, so not a total disaster. Then, just as my thumb was getting better, a sickening ripping sensation in my right shoulder, with considerable pain, suggested a rotator cuff tear (or something else nasty). Now I can't raise my arm more than a few degrees without pain.

Moral: Powerballs don't do anything for the rest of you.

So, to go off topic, does anyone know how to exercise / strengthen an elderly knackered shoulder?