Stuck bolt in test vice

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

BGC

Stuck bolt in test vice

Post by BGC »

Hi

Last year i batch-tested ammo in Hannover. After aprox 50 shots the bolt became hard to open, and after a few more shots it was stuck in a locked position, with the handle down.

After taking the rifle out from the vice, the problem stayed for a minute or so. After that it was OK again, and the problem has never occured again.

I guess the problem comes from tension while the stock is clamped this way, but what exactly made the bolt get stuck? Any ideas?

The picture shows the actual vice, but it is not my rifle. (My rifle was a Anschütz 1913 super match, with bedded action).

Thanks
Attachments
kktesthannover.jpg
kktesthannover.jpg (22.7 KiB) Viewed 1823 times
A guess

Post by A guess »

How quickly were you firing the rounds? Maybe bolt face and breech got heated up and couldn't cool down between shots?
Guest 66

Post by Guest 66 »

Good thinking. They were fired pretty fast...
Thanks.
Barney

Post by Barney »

I'm not 100% sure of the problem without being there at the time, but I dont think the breech would of heated up that much it would seize the bolt, you may get a stuck case though.

We are taking about a .22, not a centrefire rifle.

I think the answer is in the original question, it probably was the way it was clamped the first time which was different to subsiquent clamping.

I have just noticed on the picture that one of the clamps is directly on the breech, so it may of squashed the action a thou or so which was enough to jam the bolt.

It may of worked the same way in which a sight extension clamped on the end of the barrel with high tension will tighen the bore in the last inch of the barrel.
M3taal

Post by M3taal »

Ive had the same thing with my Anschutz Match 54, I initially started cleaning the rifle with cheap silicon-based oil, which turned out to be the problem. The silicon clutters the excess grains together and it turnes into a paste which causes the bolt to stick after firing.

I then started cleaning my rifle with Ballistol and its never happened to me again. Ballistol is the most amazing product ever, you can use it for literally everything.
joker

Post by joker »

M3taal wrote:Ive had the same thing with my Anschutz Match 54, I initially started cleaning the rifle with cheap silicon-based oil, which turned out to be the problem. The silicon clutters the excess grains together and it turnes into a paste which causes the bolt to stick after firing.

I then started cleaning my rifle with Ballistol and its never happened to me again. Ballistol is the most amazing product ever, you can use it for literally everything.
Ballistol is truly a great product.

Silicon oil should NEVER EVER be used as a 'lubricant' between metal to metal surfaces. It causes galling at the surfaces and is responsible for so much damage - it should be banned!