Anschutz Trigger

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

bored184

Anschutz Trigger

Post by bored184 »

I just recently picked up a Anschutz 54 Match rifle dated 1973. Since the rifle is a match rifle and not the super match, the trigger will not go below 1lb. Being an older rifle can I update the trigger to one of the match two stage triggers that go down into the ounces.

Thanks,
Bored184
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

"Match" vs "Super Match" really means nothing. That is more of a reflection of who was running marketing that year at Anschutz as far as I can tell. You probably have the 3lb trigger which was common then. You can upgrade to the new style trigger. The model you would want is the 5071. It is not just a simple bolt on conversion though. There is a little cross pin on the 5071 that sticks out a little too far and prevents the trigger from going into place. There are two simple fixes. One is to grind the ends off the pin. It his held in place with "E" clips. These can be removed since when the trigger is in place the pin can't go anyplace anyway. The other option is to grind a little clearance slot into the bottom of the action. Sounds bad to most but it is really simple. The new actions have this slot cut the old ones don't. The other thing that gets in your way is the safety on the 5071. This you can simply remove because you'll never use a safety on a match rifle anyway and second there is a wing safety on your bolt. Overall it is a pretty simple change. The other option is to look for an old two stage trigger. These are good triggers too and can be found much cheaper than a 5071.

Post by Guest »

I've done a couple of conversions on older actions - I always put in in my mill and just touched it with a ball-end. A judiciously applied dremel tool or file will work fine...

-Mark

Post by Guest »

You might want to talk to 10-Ring Service (Anschutz gunsmiths in Florida) about trigger choices.
r_zerr

new trigger

Post by r_zerr »

The action will need modification and it is easy to do. Do not cut the pins off, as the way the trigger is made will still require that the action be modified. Cutting the pin off will not be benificial in any way, and will probably result in losing the pin and the sear coming out.

-Ron
Barney

Post by Barney »

Cutting the pin off each side flush with the housing is perfectly fine.

Just put a small dab of epoxy glue on each side of the pin in case it "may' come out which is highly un likely.

It save's butchering the action
bored184

Post by bored184 »

Thanks guys, I will have to keep my eye out for an older two stage trigger. In the mean time I guess I will start saving up for a 5071. Any one know of where I could pick up a used trigger?
PL177

Post by PL177 »

Do talk to 10-Ring (search on these forums for phone #) They can do some very nice things with single stage Ans triggers, and should be able to help you well with what you want. I'm very happy with the work they did to mine, while at Camp Perry.