Bleiker and Grunig & Elmiger Stock

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Bleiker and Grunig & Elmiger Stock

Post by Guest »

What is the consensis regarding the bedding of a Grunig stock and a Blieker barrel action.

Should the plastic bedding be used or just go metal to metal, provided the metal suface is perfectly flat.

Thanks in advance

Post by Guest »

Warren Potent said his is just metal on metal...but that's all I've heard out of anyone...

From an engineering standpoint plastic bedding is a bit counter-intuitive. The whole purpose of bedding is to dampen vibrations and the plastic is designed to prevent the transfer of vibrations...

IMO just bolt it straight in there

-Mark
Anschutz

Post by Anschutz »

If your absolutely sure that both the stock and action mating surfaces are flat and butt up with no high or low points you won't need the plastic.But I'm not sure if they make these products to that tolerance even if we thought they did.I always thought the plastic was to take up these differences and not as a anti-vibration thing.
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

The purpose of any bedding method is to couple the receiver to the stock in a CONSISTENT way. This means that the path for vibrations to travel from action to stock is consistent. Whether the bedding is designed to be as lossless a coupling medium as possible, or whether it's designed to be lossy, and thus dissipate energy within itself, is something the designer has (hopefully) determined - but I wouldn't bet on it.

Designed-in lossy coupling between action and butt seems rare. I think the Unique target rifle stock was thus designed. Bedding pillars and rigid, glass-fibre-filled epoxy bedding compounds will reduce losses, compared to a mushy, oil-soaked wood-to-metal interface. It's not difficult to machine metal surfaces flat enough so that, when bolted together, they are well coupled. Cylindrical surfaces are more of a problem, due to dimensional tolerances, so using a void-filling medium between the bottom of a cylindrical receiver and the stock may help, unless you want to 'blue and scrape' the two together (standard engineering procedure, but I haven't heard it advocated for this purpose - why not?).
Anschutz

Post by Anschutz »

I think it's because in smallbore 3p/prone etc (not benchrest) you are not going to gain that much more of an advantage with it bedded to that tolerance.
Guest.

Post by Guest. »

I personally have a Grunig Revolution III stock used with an Anschutz 2013. I'm curious as to what plastic piece are we talking about? Is this Bleiker only or universal to Grunig stocks?

Thanks

Peter

Post by Guest »

Anschutz wrote:If your absolutely sure that both the stock and action mating surfaces are flat and butt up with no high or low points you won't need the plastic.But I'm not sure if they make these products to that tolerance even if we thought they did.I always thought the plastic was to take up these differences and not as a anti-vibration thing.
It does seem reasonable that the plastic is used to resolve a 'fit' problem. On my 2313 stock, a plastic pad is pretty much required because the cast finish is so poor. That is not to say that the plastic is without unintended vibrational (and other) consequences...

What I do know is that tight bedding is always beneficial to wood stocked rifles. It seems to follow that a low-loss interface would be most desirable.

Peter - I don't own a grunig, and i've only seen the pad once so I can't really help. sorry

-Mark

Post by Guest »

Peter,

The plastic bedding came with the bleiker action.

The gruinig stock was just bare metal inside, which I had to get a mate to square up the back part of the action recess to alow the action to fit using a milling machine.

I know that gruing dont use any bedding material in there stocks, but it looks likes that blieker do.

I was just curious if would make a difference using it, even though the gruing stock is designed with out bedding material.

It would seem thats its six of one and half a dozen of the other.

I guess the best way is to test with and without it a see how it groups.

Thanks for eveyones input