Buttplate offset setting in prone?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

BGC

Buttplate offset setting in prone?

Post by BGC »

Hi all

In prone you should have the buttplate as close to the neck as possible, right? Also, it is preferred to get the rifle as close to the body as possible.

In order to achieve that, should the buttplate position then be neutral in the lateral offset setting? I mean, with a lateral offset that brings the buttplate closer to the neck, the rifle will go out from the body. And vice versa.

The reason why I ask, is some old pictures of Maik shooting prone in 'Ways of the Rifle'. His buttplate is slightly adjusted outwards, bringing the rifle closer to the body, but buttplate out from the neck...?
Dave IRL

Post by Dave IRL »

Personally I'd just want the rifle in such a position that my head comes comfortably and naturally down onto the cheekpiece in a repeatable manner. The buttplate position needs to be achieved consistently, so locate it wherever helps you do that. I use a slight cant on my buttplate which brings the rifle under my cheekbone and the buttplate and hook wrap around the pocket of my shoulder and armpit quite neatly.
Derschz

Prone Buttplate

Post by Derschz »

D IRL is right. It's not whether your butt plate is close to the neck. The butt plate goes where the butt plate goes - in your shoulder pocket with the hook under the arm. From there, you need to bring the gun over to your head to allow for a comfortable and stable cheek piece position either by sliding the butt plate OUT on the mounting plate and/or canting the rifle. That position should allow you to completely relax the head on the cheek piece. His suggestion of adding some cant to your butt plate is a GOOD one. Take a look at Warren Potent's butt assembly (ISSF TV). He does everything possible to bring the CHEEK PIECE closer to his head.

Note: many shooters use wood epoxy to form custom cheek piece forms to achieve that relaxed state. Classically, the head wants to roll off the inner edge of the cheek piece. But if you allow the head to push forward onto a built up (small) mound of hardened putty, you can diminish this tendency even more. Then your head has downward and forward vectors on the cheek piece - keeping it very stable.

BartP
BGC

Post by BGC »

Great answers from both of you, thank you very much!