on a search for the perfect air rifle

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

eleyboy1912

on a search for the perfect air rifle

Post by eleyboy1912 »

I am slowly looking into buying an air rifle and i was just curious to hear what you shooters thought. right now i am borrowing my sisters 2002 and eventually i would like my own.
mwd

Feinwerkbau ftw!

Post by mwd »

I shot an Anschutz 8002 wood stock for probably 2 years, and recently got a feinwerkbau 700 I always was a HUGE supporter of Anschutz, to be frank my e-mail is OnlyAnschutz. BUT I absolutely love my Feinwerkbau more than I thought possible. My groups are tighter, I like the feel of the trigger, and the knobs on the side instead of a wrench come in handy for small adjustments week by week.
If you are looking for an Aluminum stock I'd say The Feinwerkbau 700 is a great rifle. Although Anschutz was wonderful as well. I think that how the gun feels to you is the most important aspect, shooters are not jello molds and need to be fitted for them (:

Happy Shooting!
methosb

Post by methosb »

Short answer is, there is no best. It is all about feel and fit. The Anschutz 8002, Anschutz 9003, Feinwerkbau 700, Walther LG300XT, Walther Anatomic, Walther Carbontec, Steyr LG110 ALL shoot just as good groups but all feel different from each other.

So the best suggestion is to find people who shoot with you that have different rifles and have a feel of them. Or maybe have a hold at a gun store. The rifle should feel close and comfortable, like it is part of your upper body (you will know what I mean when you feel the different rifles).

Of course you need to take into consideration the cost as well. The Carbontec, Anatomic and 9003 (in some places, often don't come with sights) are considerably higher priced than the 8002, 700, 110 and 300XT.

I personally use a Feinwerkbau 700, modified though due to my height (and long neck) and to adjust the balance of it. Remember that you can modify the balance via weights, modify how high the rifle sits with the hand rest (on aluminium stocks) and butt plat, and modify the sight line with sight extensions, keep that in mind when you try out different ones.
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

I had the Anschutz 2002, and I now have the 9003/s2. I think they feel very different. Personally the balance on the 9003 is better for me, and the trigger is much better. My increase in scores is probably due to another year of practice (and the motivation to use my expensive toy more often), not the rifle itself.
If I had the time (and money) I would try the Precision stock on the 9003, and I would like to spend a few months with the FWB700. But in reality, I would benefit from more practice than a change in equipment. So maybe my advice would be; get a good aluminum stocked rifle with adjustable weights/balance and a ton of pellets. Any of the top brands are excellent. If you had to buy a new rifle, I would suggest the FWB700, because you could compare it to your sister's 8002.