12 bullseye NRA target - do you adjust your position?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

ARshooter

12 bullseye NRA target - do you adjust your position?

Post by ARshooter »

I am still fairly new to the sport and to this forum but read it on a daily basis. It's been incredibly helpful. So far I only shoot 10m air rifle at home but have gotten pretty serious about it.
I do have a couple of questions regarding the position. I use the NRA 12 target sheet for cost savings reasons. However I do get quiet different groups or results as I move along the targets. Do I need to move my feet or just try to adjust my zero point? Is it better to just shoot all targets along the horizontal or the vertical line? Is it even possible to get consistent results with these targets?
Also, where exactly do you have to be in relation to the 10m line. Can your forward foot be on the line or does it relate to the muzzle of the rifle?
Thanks for your help
TWP

Post by TWP »

On the AR5-10 target you need to check your natural point of aim on every bulls eye.

Most likely you will have to adjust your position as you move around the target.

The barrel of the rifle can extend across the 10 meter firing line, but your feet (or elbows in prone) cannot.
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

Hi ARshooter,

I've never shot air rifle, however, when I shot 50 ft. smallbore, I found it best to start with the number 1 bull and shoot counterclockwise. Keep your targets and compare the bullet holes to see if you are consistantly losing some in the same area on any particular bull. The first bull has quite a stretch from the sighter and if the shots are impacting at 4 or 5 o'clock you are using muscle to force the rifle from the sighter.
ARshooter

Post by ARshooter »

Thanks for the valuable input.
So now I am moving my feet and try to adjust natural point of aim. However I still tend to get different groups, sometimes low to the left or low to the right. Is this still because of my natural point of aim (or lack of)?
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

I would not suggest shooting the number 1 bull first. That's a big NPA change from your sighters. My suggestion is top sighter, bottom sighter, bottom center (#9), then clockwise. That way, when you shoot two targets side by side, you can easily transition to the second target shooting its bottom left and going clockwise from there.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Soupy44 wrote:
I would not suggest shooting the number 1 bull first. That's a big NPA change from your sighters. My suggestion is top sighter, bottom sighter, bottom center (#9), then clockwise. That way, when you shoot two targets side by side, you can easily transition to the second target shooting its bottom left and going clockwise from there.
That's how I teach my shooters as well .... only small NPA changes.

However there are some that shoot columns to reduce horizontal NPA changes:
Top sighter, Bottom Sighter -> #9 ->#2
Then down the L column #1 -> #4-> #6 -> #8
Then Right column #3 -> #5 -> #7 -> #10
(then left to right columns on target #2
(Maybe it's just me, but I see more shooters forget to shoot a bull with this method) ... If they keep their pellets in a box in rows of 10, it helps prevent that

Just remember, they are ALWAYS scored in #1 thru #10 order.
Once my shooters are above 500, whatever way feels best to them, I let them shoot ... Below 500, I need to keep track of them a bit more, so it's easier if we are on the same page in the order they shoot
ARshooter

Post by ARshooter »

jhmartin wrote:Soupy44 wrote:
That's how I teach my shooters as well .... only small NPA changes.

However there are some that shoot columns to reduce horizontal NPA changes:
Top sighter, Bottom Sighter -> #9 ->#2
Then down the L column #1 -> #4-> #6 -> #8
Then Right column #3 -> #5 -> #7 -> #10
(then left to right columns on target #2
(Maybe it's just me, but I see more shooters forget to shoot a bull with this method) ... If they keep their pellets in a box in rows of 10, it helps prevent that

Just remember, they are ALWAYS scored in #1 thru #10 order.
Once my shooters are above 500, whatever way feels best to them, I let them shoot ... Below 500, I need to keep track of them a bit more, so it's easier if we are on the same page in the order they shoot
ARshooter

Post by ARshooter »

sorry forget to add text.
I was wondering if you shoot multiple shots per target and if yes,
do you move on after each shot?
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

Each record bull should only have one shot each.

If you accidentally put two shots in a bull, make sure to leave a bull with NO shots in it. There has to be only 20 shots outside of your sighters or you will receive penalty points for excessive hits. Also, you only get to goof like this twice for free, after that, you receive penalty points for the misplaced shots as well.