USAS-Article

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Bob-Riegl

USAS-Article

Post by Bob-Riegl »

I think that I can compliment ( for the first time) USAS for the best article to appear in their USAS Shooting News---Jan/Feb 10. The specific article I refer to is by Keith Sanderson, a 2008 Olympian, the article title is "Lifts." In this (unfortunately) one page article he deals with the mysteries of the LIFT which is apropos for Woman's SP, Center Fire Rapid, and Rapid Fire. I think he has summarized in his short article the techniques of getting that gun from fro the "ready" to shoot. While his observations are also that of some coaches trying to teach those strings in those events, it is his summarization that's important here. To the editor at USAS keep in mind that the hoi-paloi reading your mag are dying for these types of articles. BTW the "article" by the Pistol Coach, Sergey Luzov, was so un-noteworthy to be almost useless IMHO. USAS wants us to give (and I do) but I want a little token back every so often----right? Also to be noted is the article by SFC Theresa DeWitt, re: "Shooting is a Physical Sport." Again quite readable and common sense that part most shooters avoid like the bubonic plague----Excercise and working out. You should hear the razzing I sometimes get when I stretch before shooting. Verbum Sat Sapienta Est. "Doc" The Crochety Ole Coach
steyrlp10

Post by steyrlp10 »

It's interesting that you say that you get razzed for stretching. One of my former friends was the National Free Pistol Champ some years ago, and he asked why I didn't stretch before practicing.

I didn't want to have to tell him that I was very relaxed shooting in my robe and slippers. Guess he couldn't tell by the way I had piled my hair onto the top of my head.

Just wanted to let you know that if stretching makes you feel better prepared, tune out those people. I bet you outshoot them anway.
2650 Plus

USAS

Post by 2650 Plus »

Reference streching before shooting. I found that my natural point of ain changed from day to day depending on the activities I was involved inbefore going on the line to shoot. I am describine the balance of muscle tension in the shooting arm and shoulder. When that balance changed it affected my grip and sight allignment when the pistol was raised to firing position. The gripis far too important to allow even the smallest change when simply streching the muscles until the ballance is restored will riturn the NPA to its normal location. I highly recommend streching as a part of your normal routine before moving to the firing line. Good Shooting Bill Horton