Another Scatt question

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Paul

Another Scatt question

Post by Paul »

I’m the new owner of a Scatt that I use exclusively for my smallbore prone position and I need help.

My problem is that the zero seems to change if the distance from the rifle to the target changes, even if it’s only 1 or 2 centimeters. I noticed that while shooting from position so I decided to make a test. I shot the rifle from a rest, on a solid table at 12 meters. I could shoot as many 10.8 or a 10.9 as I wanted. I then moved the table back only 2 centimeters and I then my average for 5 shots went down to 9.5. I moved the table another 2 centimeters and I got an average of 8.9. For this test, the f coefficient was set at 0.

Is it normal for the Scatt to be so sensitive about the distance from the gun to the target ?

Thanks in advance for your input !
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Yes, probably so, but it would depend on how far the sensor is below the line of sight.

The sensor is sloped slightly upward to coincide with the line of sight at the target distance. Within reasonable target to gun distances, the sensor can "see" the target and the software can make the internal adjustment to get it synched with the sights. That is what the calibration shot does on the USB model of Scatt. Any fine adjustment made by "clicking and dragging" the shot adjusts this preliminary value.

If you moved back I would guess you saw the groups move upward.

You get a similar, but opposite, error if you move the rear sight backward or forward on the rail while shooting real shots. One cannot discount the effect of head position as well.

Marcus
Guest 66

Post by Guest 66 »

Also, this is good to know shooting prone with Scatt, if the POI behaves strange:

http://www.scatt.com/downloads/scatt_prone_set.pdf