New to the forum and discipline

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Post by Guest »

Hello all.

People in the archery world think it is wrong for me to have other interests than archery, but I have had an interest in air rifles from childhood.

I am Dan Perry, a bow designer and flight archer. I have a love for wood bows, and teaching archery and bow building to the young and mature alike.

I guess my bows have set dozens of world distance records, but it's nothing I couldn't teach anyone to do.

I have written for some archery magazines and a chapter in TBB IV (a series of books teaching what we have relearned about building historical archery tackle) and my fellows bowyers named one of my designs after me.

Here, I am an excited student. I still have some children at home who show
interest in air rifles. We are looking to buy our first beginner 10 meter equipment and have talked to a member of a local club (they shoot mainly small bore). I am eager and grateful for any information to help us find beginning equipment.

The reading I have done has me looking at used equipment from Daisy, to get our feet wet.

Cold and variable temperatures here in Utah have me worried about a CO2 like the 887 or 888. I am worried about shooting 3 positions with a single stroke like the 853 or 753. It is my nature to over think things. I should probably just get some used 853's/747's and go have some fun.

Dan
Archerdan

Post by Archerdan »

I must have browsed the site too long before posting. I did register;-)

Archerdan
Steve N

Post by Steve N »

Dan, I too shoot archery and like to shoot air rifle. I'm an NAA certified Level II Instructor, and shoot Olympic recurve. However, I'm not into making bows like you are.

I bought a Daisy 887 about 4 years ago. I think its a great rifle. I won bronze and silver in National Match air rifle at Camp Perry monthly last year. Trust me, with my shooting skills, its got to be a good rifle because I'm not that good, and the competition wasn't bad at all. Haven't had time to shoot much this year. Can't practice in my basement because our dog freaks out.

With a full cylinder, I have no problem shooting 2-20 shot standing matches, then a 3P 60 shot match, with sighters. I have plenty of CO2 to spare afterwards. I bought the spare cylinder, and always freeze then fill them the day before a match. Have never had a problem with them.

I like CO2 to avoid the hassle of cocking every time. I don't have to break position a lot to cock, and there is less fatigue. It's personal choice, but if you can afford it, I'd go for CO2.

Steve
Philadelphia

Post by Philadelphia »

I think you will do very well with shooting if you are an accomplished archer.

Shooting is a 90% mental game and the other half is physical. ;)

(with attributions to Yogi).
Eurastus

Post by Eurastus »

Dan,

It's good to see another shooter here in Utah; what part of the state are you in?

I find that single-strokers are a handful for younger shooters, though I like them greatly myself (I shoot a FWB 103 and a FWB 603). I bought an 853 for my kids and even the largest, who is 5'8" and 130 lbs, doesn't like shooting it. You're welcome to try it out if you'd like. My kids shoot CO2 pistols and rifles now and enjoy them quite a bit.

There are several youth programs around the state that work with both smallbore and air. We belong to the one in Springville. My one boy enjoys the air and the other the .22LR rifles most. Depends on what the club shoots on any given night which boy is happy...

Let me know where you are in the state and we can point you in a good direction.
Archerdan

Post by Archerdan »

Eurastus,

I live in Salem.

Donna would be your coach.

I will be at the Springville Range tomorrow at 7:00 with 2 children. I don't think it is a air rifle day, but if you could bring yours to show me the difference, I don't think Donna would mind, as she was going to show me the clubs air rifles and give me advice on air rifles too. She doesn't like the 853's
and mentioned Evanix?? I am curious though. I read that many people like the 853's.

Dan
Archerdan

Post by Archerdan »

Steve N

I don't remember the range being heated. It is in the basement of a senior citizen center. However Eurastus seems to be shooting CO2 without problems in the same building.

Dan
Oz

Post by Oz »

Another Utah shooter and forum member. Very cool. We're on different sides however... I'm Air Pistol. Rifle is just too much gear to lug around ;-)

This is a great sport and Utah has good infrastructure for international shooting. Hopefully you and your kids will be able to head down to Ceder City and shoot at the Utah Summer Games. There are also monthly PTO's held in Salt Lake. Check out www.upms.org if you'd like to learn more. I'm making more of a push for rifle. We offer scholarships to the U for mens and womens pistol, but rifle has been neglected. I'd like to change that. More active rifle shooters at PTO's will help.

I don't know a lot about CO2, but what I've heard seems to indicate that heat is more of an issue rather than cold. The hotter temps apparently make the CO2 boil off too quickly. But that's just 2nd hand info. I wouldn't be concerned about using CO2 rifles, especially as starters.

Shoot well and hope to see you and your kids at some matches down the road. You just missed the Utah Junior Olympic match this last weekend! TONS of rifle shooters. I'll be posting all those scores on the website shortly.

Oz
Archerdan

Post by Archerdan »

Oz,

I read that the University of Utah Team did very well in the Nationals last month. 1rst in women's air pistol, 1rst and 2nd in mens air pistol and small bore pistol, 3rd in JROTC team. I may have the places off a little, but it was impressive.

I am interested in pistols, but I have never been great with them. I have never been taught to shoot with one for accuracy either. We have never owned an accurate air pistol. I have read good things about an IZH 26M ?
"Izzy", Russian Made. For now I have a 747 budget, or use a club pistol.

With luck we will meet at some events.

Dan
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

Dan,

You might be referring to the IZH-46M air pistol and there are quite a few posts on this board in reference. They are a nice gun and I've shot a couple. Personally, I like dropping the pellet into a trough, like for the 747, a little better than placing it in the chamber as you do for the 46.

I have a 777 that gave me some great results a lot of years ago, after I did a little work on the trigger. Now I'm lazy and shoot a CO2 gun. As to your 747, you may want to check out a paper by the late Don Nygord about accurizing the 717. You might find some useful information in regards to your 747:

How to Make A Super Shooter
How To Accurize Your Daisy 717 For Practically Nothing And Outshoot The High Priced Competition.

Take Care,
Ed Hall
Air Force Shooting Homepage
Bullseye (and International) Competition Things
Eurastus

Post by Eurastus »

Too bad you missed out on this one: viewtopic.php?t=24287

Looks to be from Cedar City, if Arnold Vitarbo is local to the seller.

This would have been perfect for you.
Eurastus

Post by Eurastus »

Archerdan wrote:I don't remember the range being heated. It is in the basement of a senior citizen center. However Eurastus seems to be shooting CO2 without problems in the same building.
That range is heated, as long as someone gets there in enough time to run the heaters a while. It takes some time to warm up the shooting positions. But we don't shoot our CO2 guns there anyway; they are for home use. When at the range, we shoot the PCP guns that Donna has for the club.
izzy2

new shooters

Post by izzy2 »

Welcome to the wonderful world of air guns. My wife and I shoot both SSP and Co2. They are both good choices. The Daisy 747 is a tack driver, and so is the 888 and 887. I shoot an Izzy rifle and pistol, and also have a Pardini K60, as does my wife. The Daisys are a good starting gun, and very affordable direct from Daisy. Call and ask for Denise, and get a club price from her, or just watch for a good used one. Good luck and good shooting. Izzy2 Roy
Wiley-X

Re: New to the forum and discipline

Post by Wiley-X »

Anonymous wrote:Hello all.

People in the archery world think it is wrong for me to have other interests than archery, but I have had an interest in air rifles from childhood.
Don't worry about them. Even if you're a world class athlete, you need a break from time to time to do something a bit different.

Now, I'm not a world class anything and I'm primarily a bullseye shooter but I still enjoy bowling pins, falling plates and silhouette.

Now folks might say, "Wiley, if you'd dedicate all your time to bullseye, you'd be world class." Nope, I realize that I don't have the natural ability. I'm decent, maybe even good but I'll never be great.

On the other hand, I used to shoot with a guy who was world class and even though he spent most of his time doing Rapid Fire, you'd see him at bullseye matches, falling plate event or shooting pins. He excelled at all of them. That's because he had natural talent.