Sending SCATT files

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

NateG

Sending SCATT files

Post by NateG »

I had always assumed that I could email (and receive) SCATT files that could be opened by the recipient. However, a teammate and I are unable to open each other's SCATT files when emailed. Is there a way to do this? When opening my teammate's file, I get a curt message: "Unable to load file."

So, how do I fix this?

Thanks for your help,
Nate

Oh, I updated my version of SCATT to the current version (my teammate's SCATT is brandnew), so that isn't the problem.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

You need to put them in the right folder, if you haven't. You can't just click on the file in the email and have Scatt open like you'd do with a Word document. If you are putting it in the folder and it's not working contact Marcus Raab, he should be able to help. If you want I'll pm you my email and you can send me the files and I will give them a shot.

Sorry can't tell you the file folder as I'm on my Mac right now, I thing it's just a folder labeled data in the Scatt directory. I really wish they had a native Mac OS version.
Marcus

Sending Files

Post by Marcus »

I do it all the time.

Open the file you want to send in Scatt and thenclick on File... Send to...

It should open up your email client and attach the file. Type in the address to send to and click send.

If it is not arriving your email server at the ISP is probably stripping out the file since it may not recogize it as an approved file type to prevent the spread of Trojans and viruses.

Marcus
NateG

Post by NateG »

Marcus,

Thanks for the explanation. However, that didn't work. I did the send file thing from within SCATT, and the recipient was still unable to open it, getting the "Unable to load file" popup when trying to open the file. What am I missing? I can open files from the C:\Scatt Catalog directory when they're not in that location, but can't open the emailed file, even from within that directory (or from the SCATT program)

Thanks,
Nate

Oh, I should add that, yes, the file is making it through by email.
cmj

Post by cmj »

You didn't say what operating system each is using. Should be able to right click the file and click open with and then select the SCATT program. Are the files ending up in a ZIP folder when sending? Since both ends are unable to open the others file suggest problem might lie in the OS or something, or the EM host is treating it like a virus as has been suggested
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

NateG wrote:Marcus,

Thanks for the explanation. However, that didn't work. I did the send file thing from within SCATT, and the recipient was still unable to open it, getting the "Unable to load file" popup when trying to open the file. What am I missing? I can open files from the C:\Scatt Catalog directory when they're not in that location, but can't open the emailed file, even from within that directory (or from the SCATT program)

Thanks,
Nate

Oh, I should add that, yes, the file is making it through by email.
I email scatt files all the time and never have any problems. I can't remember how I do it but I think I open them up by simply double clicking the files. If that doesn't work then try associating them with the scatt program.

Rob.
NateG

Post by NateG »

Could I send the two files (one from each of us) to one of y'all to see if you can open either or both? I'm pretty well befuddled by this.
cmj

Post by cmj »

sent you a PM with my email address to send me a file
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

NateG wrote:Could I send the two files (one from each of us) to one of y'all to see if you can open either or both? I'm pretty well befuddled by this.
Feel free to email them to me <address removed for SPAM avoidance, and topic answered>

Rob.
Last edited by RobStubbs on Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
NateG

Post by NateG »

Thanks, all. I think the problem centered around having different target sets. Updating my software to the newest version got the 600m target (that my teammate used) and adding the highpower targets to her SCATT let her open my file. At least, that's what I think made the difference.

In any event, thanks for the help.

Nate