Handstop Q (prone)

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

BGC

Handstop Q (prone)

Post by BGC »

Hi

I´ve had some trouble with my recoil in prone. The jump goes pretty high, and sometimes all over the place. I have tried three different buttplates, and tried a lot of settings, but the problem is pretty much the same everytime. I have checked the contact in my shoulder, and that part is fine. After todays practice (591 with good execution but with bad recoils), I was thinking that the handstop might have something to do with the problem. I use one as the picture shows.
The swivel is pretty big, and in my case the swivel takes the recoil in my left hand/glove, rather than the handstop knob. Can this cause my problem? Thankful for any comments and ideas from people who have tried different handstops - such as this one vs MEC etc - and your experience.
(I have "normal" sized hands by the way. Also, the more I tighten the sling, the worse the recoil gets.)
Attachments
CC4748.jpg
CC4748.jpg (22.88 KiB) Viewed 2880 times
yana

Post by yana »

You could try those larger handstops, I like them better anyway.
About the recoil, how does it recoil? What way? Left? Right?
That could provide a clue for what causes yr problem.
Did you check the basics of yr 'stance'? Hows yr grip, hows yr zero position, position of left elbow..
You can vary shoulderpressure if you vary the handstop distance.
When yr in position, close yr eyes and check for muscle tension that shouldnt be there. For instance too much pressure in yr shoulder.
BGC

Post by BGC »

Yana,
The recoil often goes pretty much straight up, but very high (2-3 inches over the "1" ring). Overall, my position is good in grip, zero point etc. I pay a lot attention to those details.
Of the four contact spots - Shoulder - Grip - Cheek piece - and Left hand/hand stop, the hand stop is the only thing I havn't tried to change.
Just curious to know how much that part affects the recoil jump?
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

I haven't shot prone for many years but used to do a lot and particulary fullbore (7.62), I used the set up with both .22 and fullbore, of no handstop just a swivel, a sugestion, have you tried moving the swivel forward a little, adjust the sling to match, it will produce a slightly lower position, put a little more sling pressure onto the back of the hand and take away the dead effect of the hand against the stop.
Best regards
Robin
Environs

Post by Environs »

Hi I'm no expert, but here are my thoughts.
If you only do prone maybe consider adding weight to stock or barrel as this will deaden recoil. Make sure you get the ballance right thou.
Re your butt plate and position, look to position the centre of butt hook as close to centre line of the bore so that recoil is as straight back as possible. Depending on height change in butt plate, you will need to re-work your position to suit.
Happy shooting
Jason

Post by Jason »

You mention shoulder contact but don't say anything about your sling, it's position or tightness.

Posting a picture of yourself in position would really help.

Jason
yana

Post by yana »

Hmm dunno wether another handstop would alter recoil héight..
Might consider móre shoulder pressure.
What ammo do you use?
The rifle doesnt slip in yr shoulder when shooting?
What rifle is it?
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

I had a similar problem. It was corrected by raising my overall position, tightening the sling, and moving the handstop in. In turn the butt plate was lowered some. Puts the gun on more of a parallel axis to the ground rather than angled upwards at the muzzle, which was causing the muzzle flip.
BGC

Post by BGC »

Thank you for all ideas and suggestions.
Today, I tried a MEC handstop. Really no difference...
I then combined that with a friends HPS buttplate... Then I got rid of the high jumps! What a difference. I have still some adjustmenst to make, but what a change.

Just a quick follow up:

RobinC: Earlier I used to shoot bigbore @ 300m, but with smallbore I have not really experienced the same problem. But it might be worth a try :)

Jason: i have the sling set up high on my arm. Using a Mouche jacket, and sling drag from the "outside". Sorry, I have no pictures... yet.

Environs: Weights - yes, I have tried that, but it just caused strain. With the HPS butt plate was easy to centre line of the bore and that made a difference.

Yana: It looks like the buttplate was the main reason to the jump. I use Lapua Midas, Center-X and RWS R50 mostly. The rifle is an Anschütz 2013 alu stock.

Warwagon: Actually, that was the changes I did today, so it looks you are right there. Combined with the change of handstop and buttplate, I gained more control.

Once again - thanks for your help!