Experience of "Flights socks"

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

hjul007

Experience of "Flights socks"

Post by hjul007 »

Hi.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience of "Flights socks", e.g socks that are designed to help blood circulation in the legs.
It should be helpful for free-pistol and air-pistol where you have to stand for long times…

Is it allowed in pistol shooting? Any known decisions?

Best regards Patric
James Way

Post by James Way »

Patric,

I have never heard the term "flight socks," but perhaps you are referring to "compression stockings," which is what we call them in the United States. Here is the website of an American company that sells them: http://www.discountsurgical.com/

They are not just for helping after surgery, but also for things like varicose veins, which can get worse if you stand for longs periods of time. They come in many different compression levels. I don't know what the rules are in regards to ISSF shooting sports, but it seems they would improve blood circulation.
hjul007

http://www.flighthealth.org/dvt-socks.htm

Post by hjul007 »

Thomas Monto

Socks

Post by Thomas Monto »

You might want to refer to rule 7.4.7.10.2
TM
hjul007

Re: Socks

Post by hjul007 »

Thomas Monto wrote:You might want to refer to rule 7.4.7.10.2
TM
And the general chapter is 6.4.2.1.1
"
The use of any special devices means or garments which
immobilize or unduly reduce the movement of the shooter's legs,
body or arms is prohibited in order to ensure that the performance
skills of the shooters are not artificially improved by special
clothing.
"

The socks does not restrict movement, i think, but it helps blood cirkulation which helps against fatique, which could be concidered as not allowed artificial help.
Misny

Post by Misny »

hjul007,

Looks like it is up to you to break new ground. I think that these socks might be real good for international shooters. This time of year I lean towards wool socks. The cement floor of our indoor range seems to radiate cold air and never get warm.
David Levene

Re: Socks

Post by David Levene »

hjul007 wrote:The socks does not restrict movement, i think,
They are normally pretty tight, probably tighter than an elbow support I am wearing at the moment, and I would disqualify myself for using that.

It would certainly be down to the Jury to decide whether the socks gave artificial support. If you intend using them at an ISSF meeting then make sure you declare them at equipment control. If you don't, and the Jury discover them and decide they are giving artificial support, then that could be construed as a concealed violation under 6.10.6.5.2 resulting in disqualification. Remember that it is your responsibility to declare anything that is questionable.
Rutty

Post by Rutty »

Were one to use them it might be best to ensure that the compressed area is clear of any joints, particularly the knees. Given that the ankles; in rifle shooting at least; are already "compressed" by the boots one would imagine that any additional support afforded by the compression socks would be negligible. It is also worth noting that some of the underwear being advertised for shooters is already compressive:

http://www.edinkillie.co.uk/ecatalog/ce ... cPath=1_81

That does not of course mean that it falls within the rules, but the seller in the above case should have a pretty good idea.

Rutty

compressive underthings

Post by Guest »

yeah - I thought that was the point of UnderArmor underwear such as tights (aptly named!)/leggings/long johns. They were compressing the muscles to do something or other. Like make people think that they were stronger, warmer, or other BS.