Used pellets in putty ... how to dispose it properly?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

SolidGun

Used pellets in putty ... how to dispose it properly?

Post by SolidGun »

I am planning on practicing at home and will be building a silent trap with the duct seal putty. How are people taking the pellets out to recycle properly?

Thank you in advance for your response.
Steve N

Post by Steve N »

I just pick them out with needle-nose pliers, wipe off most of the duct seal, and toss them into a plastic container. When the container is full, I take it down to the local scrap yard and get a few bucks for the scrap lead. Of course, this is for my basement range that doesn't get that much action.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Shoot into a box of rags instead. After a while a ball of lead forms in the middle of the box so you can never shoot through it.

You may never have to empty the box, but if you do give the lead to a bullet caster and make him buy you beer.

The whole business costs you nothing.
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

Rover wrote:Shoot into a box of rags instead. After a while a ball of lead forms in the middle of the box so you can never shoot through it.

You may never have to empty the box, but if you do give the lead to a bullet caster and make him buy you beer.

The whole business costs you nothing.
Or just cast them into bullets yourself!

Now if I could figure out how to make smokeless powder and primers at home I'd be all set.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

Jose,

Cast them into round ball, and get a flintlock. You don't need primers, and can make black powder. You'll be all set :)

Happy New Year
S Schwegmann

recycle

Post by S Schwegmann »

At the schutzenverein I belong to we have a shooting member that casts his own bulits for his 45 apc. You might find someone at a local shooting club or ask at you local gun shop for someone who might like to have the old pellets. Or just use the recycle idea to buy a muzzle loader, because you can never have enough guns.
SolidGun

Post by SolidGun »

I do reload, but I am not at a point where I am willing to cast my own bullets yet.

Also, my wife would kill me if I buy a muzzleloader or any other gun right now as my collection recently reached 100+...so I need to tone it down just a little longer.

What is the best method for removing the pellets out other than using pliers?