Hints about scheduled training

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Victor

Hints about scheduled training

Post by Victor »

Hello!
I am 28 years old male shooter. I have training about 3 years more and less without coach. I think my gear eis quite good: air rifle Anschutz 9003 and smallbore Feinwerkbau alu 2700, clothing Thune´s Expert MTM jacket,trousers,shoes and Thune glove. My personal best in air rifle match is 576. I am just starting my smallbore career. I have shot about 1000 shots from August with my FWB. I have read Eckhard`´s Way of the Rifle and different books and issues from web, but I really don´t know nothing about scheduled training. What,when how much and so on... I am very pleased if somebody has time and interesting to write me somekind of issues about scheduled training or maybe training plan. I can give my email address or MSN Messenger account name etc. I
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

Victor,

The first thing you need to do is identify what your long term goals are. This could be anything from a club championship to a national championship to an Olympic bid or medal. It's up to you. But here's the 2 important parts: define what score you believe will get you there (with exact scores for each position plus air rifle), and what is the exact date you will shoot that score in that competition.

Then, start with your average, and break down how you will get from here to there over the medium term. Write down what score you want to shoot at the end of each year between now and then, again broken into each position and air rifle.

Next, break that down by month. Set a goal score for the end of each month, broken down into each position and air rifle. Try to only have one or maybe two position's scores increase a month. That way, you don't have to concentrate on all three positions at once.

Lastly, plan out your month practice by practice. What you will do, how many shots, when during the day, etc. Be as detailed as you can, but flexible as well. There will be changes down the road, and that's alright.

The most important thing out of all of this is to WRITE IT DOWN. Add a calendar to your shooting diary on which you write all of this. I've attached a spreadsheet on how to go from 510-580 in three years broken down month by month.

Good Luck
Attachments
510-580 in 3yrs.xls
(19.5 KiB) Downloaded 334 times
Victor

My goals for the future

Post by Victor »

My goals for the future will be improve my match result air rifle and smallbore rifle every season. I think that I can achieve 590 with air rifle if I have good training program. Smallbore is so new for me that I can´t set my long term goals for that like results. It is natural that when you shoot well, you enjoy what you are doing.
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

Then your next step is how soon do you want to get to 590? If you can shoot air rifle two to three times a week, and structure your practice properly, you could be there by the end of next year.

As for smallbore, more people shoot about 5-10 points lower. So set a goal for 560-565 for the end of next year. Find a match or shoot a practice match sometime in the next week or two for your baseline. Then break t down into monthly goals, and finally plan out your practices.

I'll emphasize again that the most important part s to write everything down. My coach always said if it's not written down, it doesn't exist.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

Besides the good advice already given for sport specific training, you need to use the same calendar to physical training and mental training periods which coordinate with the sport specific training (shooting).

Usually the physical training will be heavier earlier in your annual plan, tapering off sever weeks before your major competition(s). Mental training may be lower to begin with, increasing throughout the year, and be the ONLY training the week of the big match.

You do need to coordinate all of these if you wish to reach the highest levels.
trinity

Post by trinity »

Soupy44 wrote:Victor,

...snip...
The most important thing out of all of this is to WRITE IT DOWN. Add a calendar to your shooting diary on which you write all of this. I've attached a spreadsheet on how to go from 510-580 in three years broken down month by month.

Good Luck
I definitely agree with what you said above, however, with regards to the spreadsheet... I am not sure if most people's shooting progress is as linear as shown in the spreadsheet. Nevertheless, looking at that spreadsheet got me thinking about how do most people's shooting progression look like over a long period of time?

I know for myself, over the first few months of shooting, the progression was rather linear, to the point I thought I could be shooting Olympic records in a few months. Unfortunately, that linear progression stopped. Actually, I think it peaked, and even dropped for a while, despite considerably more training volume. Then for quite a few years, it would remain constant regardless of training, and only showing progress rarely. But then, after like 3 or 4 years of considerable training, it broke through, and hit a number of highs last year. But since then, it's come back down a bit.

I would be interested in other's experience, if their progression of score looks anything like what I illustrated above.

I guess I wouldn't want someone just starting out to get discouraged when their linear progression stops.

--trinity
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

I agree, but it's impossible to predict the jumps and plateaus. In fact, I think if you could predict them that it would be a hindrance to improvement. This is where the mental preparation and attitude come into play.

Over a long enough time frame of good training, improvement is linear (so long as you don’t look at the numbers too closely). I feel you should aim for linear improvement in goal setting. When you hit one of those quick improvements and get ahead of your goals, then you adjust your goals accordingly. When you hit a plateau, your goals are a motivator to improve.

Just think if you could predict your plateaus; how much would you try if you knew there wouldn’t be any significant improvement for a period of time. Think back to the best fit lines from algebra class when you’re looking for improvement. It’s not until you’re at the elite level and looking to peak at a certain time for a certain competition that this changes.