Glass bedding a 1913

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Telecomtodd

Glass bedding a 1913

Post by Telecomtodd »

I'd like to get my 1913 glass bedded and don't trust myself to do a good job with it. I'm looking for a recommendation for someone on the US East Coast who is reliable and able to do a good job with this particular rifle; hopefully yjre the recommended person has done one of these before.

I've had one gunsmith (and friend) politely pass on doing the job, and have had a couple of others who didn't have any idea who Anschutz was (!), but could throw some bedding compound in my stock - no thank you!

I'm in North Carolina and willing to drive to deliver/wait for the work to be done.
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

Hi Telecomtodd,
Bedding a rifle isn't a difficult job. I've done several, my first being an Anschutz 1407. Proper application of the release agent is the most critical. If you goof up the bedding job, grind it out and start again.

I did my prone rifle, a Winchester 52C, during the winter using Bisonite. I couldn't get the barreled action to release. I called Hart's in Nescopeck, PA, where I bought the kit and he said they have trouble getting Bisonite to release when they use it in the winter----now you tell me! {Remedy--heat the metal and it popped out without ruining the bedding job.}

If you decide to try it on your own, let me know and I can give you a few tips.
You really can't wreck the rifle as long as it releases when the bedding is set up. Give it a "shot".
Ben

Stock work

Post by Guest »

Look up Gartland Precision at WWW.GartlandprecisionLLc.com

or Alex Sitman at WWW.Masterclassstocks.com

Both turn out first class work.
talladega

Post by talladega »

Me and my dad have done two rifles with Bisonite. Only problem we've had both times was it not being runny enough making it not flow into screw holes very well.
an1913t

Post by an1913t »

Jeffrey Madison is an active Anschutz shooter and smith. His website is:

http://www.mwerksllc.com/
ciscovt

Glass Bedding a 1913

Post by ciscovt »

Depending on where you are on the East Coast, Larry Racine of Swanzey NH is a very fine Highpower match rifle builder and shooter. I had him bed my 54 action to a left handed stock I bought a few years ago. He did a great job. his website is: http://www.lprgunsmith.com/index.asp

ciscovt